Is there an English translation for Calogera?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
maestra36
Master
Master

Re: Is there an English translation for Calogera?

Post by maestra36 »

This record is very hard to read, but I think that both the groom and bride in the record are widowed. But, the name of his first wife does not look like Catherina, but I still can't make out what her name is. The bride's name in both the margin and in the body of the record is Calogera Bruno.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Her deceased husband's name Dominico Gxxx (I can't make out his last name, but it starts with a G). Her father's first name Benedicto (as in Benedict)
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

The groom's father was deceased. The first name may be Bernardus, or Bernard, but I am not sure. Can't make out the mother's name, sorry.
dixiecricket13
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dixiecricket13 »

Thanks for the help. I think this is not a valid marriage record for my history.

-Christina
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

CALOGERO/A is Byzantine Greek in origin and has no translated name just a definition. =Peter=-
~Peter~
HughTornabene
Rookie
Rookie

Post by HughTornabene »

Thank you for the discussion of the name Calogera and it's English equivalent.
I have traced two Tornabene immigrant brothers from Racalmuto, Sicily into the United States.
Both of them named their first son as GUY, so I think their father must have been Gaetano or maybe Giacomo.
They both named their first daughter Charlotte. For one of the brothers I have their mother's name as Calogera.
So maybe Calogera can also be equivalenced to CHARLOTTE.
In one case, come to think of it, the mother was of French extraction, so that might have played a part also.
I am also now noticing that the brother to whom a daughter was born first, was the one with the French descendant wife. So maybe within that extended family group, that set the name Charlotte up.
This little discussion turned out to be more interesting than I had anticipated.
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Might there be a record for a Giuseppe Salvaggio to a Caterina Bruno? Also, the marriage might have a occurred in a neighboring town, hence it would be recorded elsewhere.