Is there an English translation for Calogera?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
dixiecricket13
Veteran
Veteran

Is there an English translation for Calogera?

Post by dixiecricket13 »

I am trying to locate a marriage record for Josepho Salvaggio and Catherina Bruno in Bisacquino approx. 1860-1880. I found an entry for Josepho Salvaggio and Calogera Bruno; but I do not know if this is a match. The Catherina Bruno came from a baptismal record so I know that this name is correct.

Does anyone know if Catherina=Calogera?

-Christina
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Is there an English translation for Calogera?

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Calogera is a valid Italian given name for females. Also, the correct spelling of your other name is Caterina.

You may be dealing with two different people or possibly a person named Caterina Calogera Bruno / Calogera Caterina Bruno.

See http://www.nomix.it/700c.php
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
dixiecricket13
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dixiecricket13 »

Thank you for the quick response. Yes, I had wondered if either Calogera or Catherina was a middle name but I have not come across a birth record yet for either of these names and I am hesitant to chase down 2 different names.

Thank you for your help-
Kind regards-
Christina
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Calogera is the feminine form of Calogero which is Charles. So it translates to Charlene. I have ancestors with the Calogera first name and they were called Lena in the U.S.
dixiecricket13
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dixiecricket13 »

Well I did not know that Calogera translated into Charlene. That is interesting; it does not help me in this case but it's still interesting...I am going to lock that away in case I run across this in the future.

Thanks!
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

There is always the possibility that two sisters were married to the same man, but at different times. It was not uncommon for a man to marry the sister of a deceased spouse.
dixiecricket13
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dixiecricket13 »

Assuming this is the case, wouldn't I be able to find a record of both of their marriages in the online Bisacquino records? The Calogera Bruno is the only Bruno that I can find who married a Salvaggio in this time frame.

-Christina
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

maestra36 wrote:There is always the possibility that two sisters were married to the same man, but at different times. It was not uncommon for a man to marry the sister of a deceased spouse.
My parents met for the first time at a wedding - my father's elder brother and one of my mother's elder sisters married in 1938. At the time, my father was 17 and my mother 13 years old.

They married each other six years later.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

what is the date of the marriage record you found? can you upload the image to this forum or can I find it easily and look at it?
dixiecricket13
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dixiecricket13 »

Give me a few moments and I'll post the baptismal record listing the parents and then the marriage record of the parents.

-Christina
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Thanks Cristina
dixiecricket13
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dixiecricket13 »

You know, I have gotten all twisted around. It is true that I can only locate 1 Bruno-Salvaggio marriage and unless I am losing my mind this record is for a Caterina Bruno and not the Calogera Bruno listed in the marriage index....I am perplexed.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Sometimes there are errors in the indexes. That's why it is good if you found and can view the actual record.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

On this baptism record, Catherina Bruno is the mother.
dixiecricket13
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dixiecricket13 »

This is the marriage record that I have found. It's very hard to read but I am certain that it says Calogera. I can find no record of a Catarina Bruno marrying a Salvaggio.