Carpathia crew manifest help please?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
cerg
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Carpathia crew manifest help please?

Post by cerg »

Good Morning!!

Hello everyone, sorry that I did ot post yesterday I got busy and had no tine to use the computer. I did talk to my Aunt Liela yesterday but she could not remember if John had a Tattoo she said that she does not think that he did. She told me to call John's other daughter my Aunt Rosie.

I talked to Aunt Rosie and she said that her dad did not have any tattoo that she was aware of. She also said that if it was on his arm up by his shoulder she might not have ever seen it because her dad always had a shirt... :(

I asked her if she had remember ever hearing anything about John's arrival to the US. She said that he came on the Carpathia. A friend that he was traveling with stayed on the ship and John jumped ship in New York. The guy he was traveling with return to Italy and he was on the Carpathia when they saved the Titanic. The friend later settled in Illinois and he was my Aunt Rosie's Godfather. She said that she remembers him as Mike Faraguna. She think that he might have gone by a different name at one time. Of course, he has passed away but his daughter still lives in Illinois. Rosie gave me her address, I am going to try and find a phone number for her.... :D

Still no word from Joe in Canada.. :( I am so excited to get the information from his sister!! It feelslike it is taking forever to hear from him.

I am going to try and find the phone number for the daughter of this Mike Faraguna. I hope to be able to call her today. I will keep you guys posted on what I find out.

Kristina
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

cerg wrote:Good Morning!!

I asked her if she had remember ever hearing anything about John's arrival to the US. She said that he came on the Carpathia. A friend that he was traveling with stayed on the ship and John jumped ship in New York. The guy he was traveling with return to Italy and he was on the Carpathia when they saved the Titanic. The friend later settled in Illinois and he was my Aunt Rosie's Godfather. She said that she remembers him as Mike Faraguna. She think that he might have gone by a different name at one time. Of course, he has passed away but his daughter still lives in Illinois. Rosie gave me her address, I am going to try and find a phone number for her.... :D

Still no word from Joe in Canada.. :( I am so excited to get the information from his sister!! It feelslike it is taking forever to hear from him.

I am going to try and find the phone number for the daughter of this Mike Faraguna. I hope to be able to call her today. I will keep you guys posted on what I find out.

Kristina
Couldn't resist a peek... if Mike was on the Carpathia he would have been 20 years old...

Even if someone "jumps ship" and was employed by the ship at the beginning of the voyage... there should still be a record...

Link to Michele 1921 manifest.... he does exist...

First Name: Michele
Last Name: Farraguna
Ethnicity: Italian
Last Place of Residence:
Date of Arrival: Aug 18, 1921
Age at Arrival: 29y Gender: M Marital Status: U
Ship of Travel: Presidente Wilson
Port of Departure: Trieste
Manifest Line Number: 0394

Well... looks like there should be more records.. especially if he's been working on ships since 1912...

Also, a ships crew manifest of a Domenico Faraguna 1924 does exist... manifest says he deserted the boat... along with Marco Faraguna... in Portland, Oregon... they were listed as Fireman working for this line from Trieste. Kristina, can you ask her about these other 2?

As for the 1914 Manifest... didn't WW1 begin in summer of 1914...

I had wondered why this Giovanni Cergnul was on that ship at a Floridian harbor... was travel by ship safe then?? Maybe because he had connections to ships... he was able to take a different route than usual... I'm just guessing here...
mfjp wrote: All Florida Passenger Lists, 1898-1951 Results
Florida Passenger Lists, 1898-1951 Record
about Giovanni Cergnul

Name: Giovanni Cergnul
Arrival Date: 7 Oct 1914
Birth Date: abt 1894
Nationality/Race: Croatian
Ship: Borneo
Port of Departure: Fiume, Austria
Port of Arrival: Tampa, Florida
Last Residence: Austria
Birth Location: Austria
Birth Location Other: Albana
Microfilm Roll Number: m1844_17
Page: 015
Line Number: 5

Sister Maria is next of Kin in Albona....

Off to join "none" in PA

Link to Giovanni Cergnul's Manifest 1914 page 1

Page 2

Please note that he also has his name tatooed on his right arm!! Look at all those sailors he travels with... also, I think his occupation is FRMN... or fireman...

Maria :P

Further.... wonder if Dominik Miculian (sp) is on this ship.... :wink:
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

While doing a search for Farugna, I came across a Maria Farugna... so I thought I'd take a look.... sure enough I see Giovanna Cergnul listed as her mother... in Albona.

Giovanni Faraguna would be her husband in the US

http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 0154%2ETIF

Later today.. or when time permits... I am going to link you a partial list of males who traveled on the Carpathia in 1912... but throughout the year

Maria

P.S.

So far... those names (Cergnul, Miculian, (Mikulian) Faraguna...) and all kinds of name variations... have yet to show up on a Carpathia manifest which was involved with the Titanic...
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Hi Kristina,

Not sure if this helps at all but James (member here) is very knowledgeable about the Titanic incident and you may want to check out this post..

http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/Foru ... tanic.html

Again, not sure if it helps you but definitely interesting.

nuccia
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Hi Kristina...

s.s. Carpathia Male Passengers - Jan to Dec 1912

Here is the list on men from Istria, Austria, Italy, Croatia.. you name it....

Too many people say that their ancestors were on the Carpathia April, 1912.

But... many people have travelled on the Carpathia.. the same ship that saved many in April, 1912... and maybe this is how family stories get mixed up....

I'm not saying that your family history regarding the Carpathia in not true.... all I can say... I haven't found one thing (so far) ... not even a hint... that tells me that your ancestor(s) was on this ship April 1912....

Kristina, I believe in your mission, and that is why I jump in here all the time... otherwise I would have stayed back... Your ancestors were seamen employed by passenger ships for many years....

Carpathia from Jan to Dec... .

Butic-Colaiacovo

Cicic-DeanicErslan-GalinovicLynstina-Maseio

Malie-Mitrovic

Miistic-Pavic

Hope this helps....

Maria :P

Further... I tried to link onto the Carpathia Manifests April 1912 earlier today, and for some reason I couldn't even view one page.... I hope in the future, you can order this roll at your FHC. It's probably one of the most popular reels of film and they can guide you as to which reel to order...
cerg
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cerg »

Hello Everyone,

Maria, Did you get the email that I sent you yesterday? Did you look at teh list of people that were on the Carapthia?

I will be checking out the information that that You and Nuccia posted when I am done with this message. I am still waiting to hear from Liela, I will call her again this afternoon. Also I finally got some information from Joe about the family.

His sister have him the following information over the phone

Elsa (Elisabeth?) resided in Rabazzi
Ida-married name Papic resided in Rijeka (Fiume)
Giulia-married name Linic (husband Josip) resided in Belgrade
Maria-married name Goricanec resided in Belgrade

Now , do you guys have any clue how to locate them? I Also Talked to A Nicolo Cergnul that lives in Texas. He has confirmed some of the family information and we are relatives! He has meant all of the above named before. Their was also a brother to these sisters name Walter Cergnul. Nicolo told me that Elsa passed away around 1970 or 1974 and He could not remember when MAtteo passed. Walter just passed around 1987 or 1990. He was going to try and find the address for Walter's house because one on his daughters lives there now. I also got a couple of other leads to try a follow!!

Hopefully this is the begining of me uncovering my family history... :D

I will check on your link now I just wanted to get the informaiton that Joe sent me posted for you guys to see.

Kristina
cerg
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cerg »

HI everyone,

Okay , I have spoken with Liela and she gave me Mary Valenti's phone number. i called this morning and she did have a little bit of information for me. Her father Mike Faraguna was on the carpathia and helped rescue the Titanic she was a medal that he recieved for his help. She said that he was also given a 20.00 gold piece.

I asked her if her father may have gone by a different name , she said that when her father jumped ship after the titanic sinking he went to Shamokin PA to work in the mines. When he got there he got not read or write so the name Faraguna was too hard for him. He had 2 cousins that lived there in Shamokin with the last name BEMBICH. So he just used their name. When he left Shamokin he also went to Rend Illinois with John.

I also asked her about the names you mentioned Maria and she did not know those names. She also said that she did not really know anything about her fathers family.

I asked her if her father maybe went by something other than Mike being that that is not a very Austrian name. She said that she didn't know of any other name he used. I mentioned that I had founf a Matteo on the ship and she said "maybe that was him because Mike is Matteo in English"

Now I have been told that Matteo is actually translated to Matthew. Everyone in my family and I guess hers to seems to think that it is translated to Mike. Do you guys know if I was given the wrong translation?

I am going to be calling her back this evening because she said she has a book that somebody wrote about the Titanic that has an section in it about her father and his role in the rescue. She was going to look for it and read me the section this evening when I call her back.

So I am kind of lost on where to go from here...

On a site that I was looking at with names of the crew of the Carpathia, I noticed that some of the people jumped ship on April 2, 1912 in New York. So I wonder if I should check that manifest?

What do you think Maria? should I check that manifest? or have we already checked that one?

If I forgot anything I will post later, I always know what I plan to tell you guys and normally forget at least one of them while I am typing!!

Kristina
cerg
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cerg »

Hello again,

Here are the two website that I was looking it about the Carpathia crew.I am not sure if I posted these right or not. I am not sure on how the make a link to webite.

Kristina

http://www.istrianet.org/istria/navigat ... a-crew.htm

http://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/manifest.php?q=6
rfornal
Staff
Staff

Post by rfornal »

You got it ... this site is geared to automatically translate a web address into the appropriate format ...
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

this is all so very interesting and thanks for sharing it with us. I don't have any advice because I haven't really been helping you like Maria but I have been reading the posts and can't wait to hear more..from everyone!

nuccia
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
rfornal
Staff
Staff

Post by rfornal »

I agree ... the stories behind the searches are the most interesting part!
cerg
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cerg »

Bob and Nuccia,

Thank you for your interest in my research!

I too like to read how everybody's research is going, sometimes it gives me ideas on things that I can try for my own research.

I apperciate the chance to be a part of such a wonderful forum!! I only wish that I had the ability to help out here. You all are wonderful researchers!!!!!

Kristina
rfornal
Staff
Staff

Post by rfornal »

Kristina

Everybody has their own way of contributing ... sometimes it's just an awesome comment or simple idea ... which is just as valuable as as anything else done here ...
cerg
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cerg »

Hello,

Could somebody tell me how to delete a post? I some how posted my message twice!!

Thank for your help

Kristina
rfornal
Staff
Staff

Post by rfornal »

Usually, if you have the last post, it can be deleted ... if someone else has posted since your double, just EDIT the post and change it to something list "Correction ..." or "Duplicate Removed."