Carbone/Grande/Sinerchia/Petrarca Help Needed...

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
cjthibeault

Carbone/Grande/Sinerchia/Petrarca Help Needed...

Post by cjthibeault »

Hello Everyone,

Some time ago, some people on this board were very helpful when I hit a brick wall on my Italian side. I've made a bit more progress, but I've once again found myself in a position where I can go no further without a little help. I've linked to the old thread below.

Here is what I've got:

Elvira Petrarka (aka Alvina) 9 Jun 1899-17 Aug 1968
Husband: Antonio Carboni (17-Mar 1891-5 Mar 1977)
Arrived 28 May 1914 from Fornelli, Compobasso Italy
Died in Woonsocket, RI.
She has 2 siblings:
Giovanni Grande (I believe this should be Petrarca, Grande being her mother's maiden name)
Maria Giarrusso (aka Marion)

Parents of Elvira:
Mother: Regina Grande (aka Vincenza) 7 May 1867-6 Jul 1939
Arrived in US with her daughter in 1914. The son Giovanni was already here. Died in Woonsocket RI.
Father: Andrea Petrarca (aka Andrew or Henry). Apparently died prior to 1914, as Regina is listed as a widow. I have no other information.

Parents of Regina:
Father: Dominico Grande
Mother: Constanza Sinerchia (possibly Senerchia)
No information about any of them.

Parents of Antonio Carboni:
Father: Aldor Carbone
Mother: Lucia Carbone
No information about either of them. I have an obituary that lists Antonio as being born in Campobasso, althought I have other documents that suggest San Giovanni. Important Note: The obituary lists Lucia's name as: Lucia (Carbone) Carbone. Same maiden name?

What I need the most help with is tracking the oldest generation (Aldor and Lucia, and Dominico and Constanza) as well as any information about Andrea Petrarca. Honestly, I'll take any little scraps of information about anybody in this list that anyone can provide me. I have a subscription to Ancestry.com, but I've not been able to get much out of it on these.

Thanks to anyone who can help,
Christopher J. Thibeault

(Old Thread)
http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/Foru ... 74699.html
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: Carbone/Grande/Sinerchia/Petrarca Help Needed...

Post by wldspirit »

What I need the most help with is tracking the oldest generation Aldor and Lucia, and Dominico and Constanza
Have you placed any of the above on a ship manifest?
wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
cjthibeault

Post by cjthibeault »

I don't believe that they ever came to the US. Regina and Elvira came over in 1914. Giovanni apparently came earlier. I've not been able to find one for Antonio...
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Let me take a closer look at the old thread, take some notes and see how best to proceed...
wldspirit

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

A few more questions.....have you sent for the SSI application as suggested by VJ?

Have you attempted to send for documentation to the town in Italy listed on the manifest as birthplace?

How about naturalization record on Elvira/Alvina?

wldspirit

cjthibeault

Post by cjthibeault »

I have sent a request for the SSI information about 2 months ago (when I located a copy of his obituary). I have not heard back yet. Is an obituary considered sufficient evidence of death?

I believe that Elvira ws never naturualized. Her children were all born in the US.

I have not sent any requests to italy for information. I honestly have no idea where/who to send it to. I also do not speak any Italian, so searching and communicating would be quite difficult for me. If you can provide any tips on how to go about this, it would be very much appreciated.

Most of the information that I've gathered since the last thread has been through finding obituaries and funeral notices in very old copies of the town newspaper at my local library.

Thanks,
Chris
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

The simplest method is to use an interactive form letter:

Letter

For email, fax, phone and complete address for the towns of interest,
go to the following site:

Address Locator

Yes, the site is in Italian, but very easy to use. Click on the drop down arrows for each town:
Provincia: Isneria
Comune: Fornelli
as well as Macchia D'Isneria
Click on Ricerca.

For a guide on letter writing:

Guide

wldspirit

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Not sure why the official site list the towns of interest in Isneria, yet the LDS list them both in Campobasso??
But both towns have been microfilmed:

Macchia D'Isernia

Fornelli

You can trace all birth, marriage and death thru the use of microfilm.
An excellent guide written by member Trish:
The proper way of obtaining microfilm from a Family History Center
1. You go to www.familysearch.org

2. Click on the tab on the top right called Library

3. Click on the words Family History Library Catalog

4. Click on the words Place Search and type in the town you are looking for. Then click the word search.

5. A list of the results will show up. (an example: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania)

6. Click on the link you are looking for such a Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Vital Records. A new page will appear where it will show all the films for Vital Records

7. Click on the link you want such as Death Registries.

8. Click on View Film Notes and a list of the microfilm numbers will appear.

9. Click at the bottom of the page, For a printable copy, click hereand you will get a form to print out with all the film numbers.

10. Click print.

Ordering Microfilm

1. Now the FHC does not have all the microfilm in their possession.

2. You have to order the microfilm which takes 3-4 weeks for it to arrive.

3. It costs about $5.75 a roll for 30 days of viewing time.

4. If you need to renew the microfilm, it cost about $5.50 for another 60 days.

5. If you need to renew it after the 60 days, it will cost another $5.50 and the films can be kept on an indefinite bases.

6. Microfilm must be viewed at the FHC.

7. Copies are $0.35 a page.

Written and Created for the Family History Center of Cherry Hill, New Jersey - by PTCTM - Trish - 02/2006

wldspirit

cjthibeault

Post by cjthibeault »

Thank you. I've looked more into this, and I've got a couple of questions.

First, is there a way to access any of these records without visiting one of their centers? There are 2 centers within reasonable driving distance from me, but they have very limited hours, and in general, I can't be there when they are open.

Second, is there a way of obtaining these records in a form other than Microfilm? It would be wonderful if I could just order prints of the records I need.

If not, are there any services that I can pay to locate a specific set of records at the one of these centers? How much do they usually charge? At the moment, I'm not looking for a full list of cousins, but just direct paternal/maternal parentage. Is there an Italian equivalent of something like the American French Genealogical Society (http://www.afgs.org)?

I must have been very spoiled when researching my French-Canadian side. Everything is either online, or there are a number of groups with the information on hand.

Thanks again,
Christopher J. Thibeault
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

I would need to look into some of those questions posted, and get back to you!! :)
wldspirit

cjthibeault

Post by cjthibeault »

Hello Again,

I'm back with some good news, and some questions.

First, the good news... For a long time, I've asked my grandmother (who is very old, and had a stroke a few years ago) for any photo albums that she might have. She told me that she didn't have any. I knew this was false, but she has been very ill and confused for some time now. A few days ago, she gave me 8 photo albums, filled with very old pictures, including several of my gr.gr.grandmother, Regina (Grande) Petrarca. It's been wonderful. She can't remember anybody in the photos, but it is nice to have them finally.

And now, for my questions:
I found that Regina made several trips from Italy to the US. I did not know this before. The Ellis Island search page gets some results that Ancestry.com didn't seem to find. I've been using this to look up some additional voyages...

Another manifest I found had a Petrarca that did not seem related to me (as far as I know). But the address was Box 25, Natick, RI, which was the mailing address of a known relative of mine (Regina's son). If they shared the same postal box, are they likely to be related? This was an Enrico Petrarca, who was visiting his brother (I was not aware of one). Oddly, the father of this relative was "Henry" Petrarca. Does Enrico=Henry Jr. ???

On this same manifest, there are several other Petrarca folks, along with some Sinerchia people. All from Fornelli. My gr.gr.grandmother, a Grande, married a Henry Petrarca. Her mother's maiden name was Sinerchia. This manifest was from 1908. Henry died prior to 1907. Is it a coincidence that they were all on the same boat? Might they be related?

Also, I've been able to rearrange my schedule a bit, and I might be able to get 2 hours every other week at the family history center in Warwick, RI. I don't know how much I'll be able to get done in that time, but I guess I'll find out.

Thanks again for all your help,
Christopher J. Thibeault
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

I love the old photos, they are something to be treasured. I have one of a baby, done on some type of hard board....we'll probably never be able to identify who the baby is......but still nice to have.

ENRICO = HENRY
Here is a site which list the Italian name and the American equivalent:
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Poin ... html#INDEX

As to online records, I did not find anything, not uncommon. There are few towns in Italy to have been transcribed and placed online.

Using a common address, along with other clues is a good way to identify additional relatives which were previously unknown. Placing the family on census can help provide further proof.

hope this helps somewhat.....
wldspirit

Postscript:
First, is there a way to access any of these records without visiting one of their centers?
sent a pm to a fellow member, if I am not mistaken, there is a way to request the Lds to look up a record or copy a record??

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Peter responded with the following:

Family search is available as you know at the Familty History Library in Salt Lake Ciity and at 100's of FGHL centers and at some public and private libraries in the USA, Canada and a number of other countries.

However perhaps the Ancestral File Operations Unit,Salt Lake City can be contacted at 801-240-2584. The Ancestral file contains family history information linked in family groups and pedigrees that has been contributed since 1979 from which they can print pedigree charts, family groups records etc. This operating unit may be able to assist him in looking up what he needs even though their regulations make no mention of this aspect....Younever know unless you ask.. Hope this helps =Peter=

wldspirit