STILL LOOKING FOR EUGENIO NOSTRAME

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jenalonso
Veteran
Veteran

STILL LOOKING FOR EUGENIO NOSTRAME

Post by jenalonso »

TO REFRESH, I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR MY GREAT GRANDFATHER, EUGENIO NOSTRAME. I KNOW HE CAME OVER IN 1906, BEFORE HIS WIFE ROSA MARIA MANGIACAPRE & THEIR CHILDREN (WHOSE PASSENGER MANIFEST I HAVE FOUND - SPELLED ¨NOSTROME¨).
A SECOND COUSIN OF MINE HAS FOUND A PASSENGER MANIFEST ON ELLISISLANDRECORDS.COM WITH A EUGENIO ¨NASTRO.¨ I THINK THIS MAY BE HIM, BUT HE LISTS ¨GRAGNANO¨ AS HIS LAST PLACE OF RESIDENCE.
DOES ANYONE KNOW - IS THERE A PLACE CALLED GRAGNANO IN NAPLES? IF SO, IS THERE ANY WAY I CAN CHECK IF THEY HAVE HIS RECORDS FROM HERE (THE U.S.)? (THAT IS, WITHOUT GOING THERE DIRECTLY?)
THANKS SO MUCH!!!!
louis41
Rookie
Rookie

Re: STILL LOOKING FOR EUGENIO NOSTRAME

Post by louis41 »

Here is an Eugene Nostrame & his wife Rose in Jersey City for the 1920 census.

http://content.ancestry.com/iexec/?htx= ... e&ln=Nostr
ame&st=g

they also show up in the 1930 census. Here is the link for that one.

http://content.ancestry.com/iexec/?htx= ... trame&st=g

Will try to find the town of origin for you.

Louis
louis41
Rookie
Rookie

Post by louis41 »

here is a link for the manifest, but his name is crossed out. It may mean he did not make the trip at that time. He shows coming to be with his brother Salvatore who lived at 238 Mulberry st.. If he had a brother who lived there this could be the one. He shows coming from Napoli and then Gragnano as you said.

http://content.ancestry.com/iexec/?htx= ... astro&st=g

Louis
louis41
Rookie
Rookie

Post by louis41 »

Gragnano is a small town to the south of Naples. I

f you go to google and enter "Gragnano Naples Italy" it will pop up as item c on the map.

Hope this helps.

Louis
jenalonso
Veteran
Veteran

LOOKING 4 ¨EUGENIO NOSTRAME¨ GRAGNANO & CAPODIMONTE, N

Post by jenalonso »

Thanks so much for your replies. Yes, I´ve seen the manifest. I know the name appears to be crossed out. However, I´m not sure if he DIDN¨T come over at that time because Rosa Maria arrived only a week later and put Eugenio as her point of contact on Mulberry Street.

However, I´m trying to figure out what his REAL Italian name may have been. I just have a feeling it wasn´t ¨Nostrame.¨ (My FIRST issue)

Now THIS is the interesting part! The good part about this manifest is that I´ve been trying to figure out what commune Eugenio was from and now that I´ve seen this manifest that says ¨Gragnano¨ it looks like it IS a small section of Naples (according to Google maps, anyway) that is RIGHT NEXT TO Capodimonte, where my great-grandmother was apparently from. I was told in those days, they usually dated people very close to their own towns, so that would make perfect sense!

So my 2nd issue (question) is: Does anyone know anything about these sections of Naples??