What would be easier and faster?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Casa28

What would be easier and faster?

Post by Casa28 »

Hi, I am new at this. I need some advice. I wanted to find more information on my great grandparents born roughly around 1890-1900. This summer I will be going to Sicily for 3 weeks. Would it be faster and easier to obtain vital records such as marriage, birth or death certificates? My ancestors were from Pachino and Ispica, Sicily. If so, where do I go to get this? Thanks.
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Re: What would be easier and faster?

Post by JohnArmellino »

The Mormon Church has filmed Civil, Church, and Census records for both Pachino and Ispica. Go to www.familysearch.org, follow the links Library>FamilyHistoryLibraryCatalog>PlaceSearch and enter the name of each town to view the Film Notes. You can rent and view these films at the Church's Family History Centers. You can find the location of the nearest FHC on the above mentioned website. It takes several weeks to recieve the films, so if you're going to Sicily this summer, you'd better order the films pronto. You should be able to find your GGP's vital records on these films, as well as many earlier ancestors.
John Armellino
Casa28

Post by Casa28 »

I did check out the FHC and looked up the film notes. Now how do I go about in ordering the films? Do I call the head office or the Family History Ctr near me? Or can I order on-line? Thanks for the help.
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

Go to the Family History Center nearest to you and you can order and view the films there. You can find the location of the nearest FHC at www.familysearch.org. It will take several weeks to receive the films. The rental fee is usually $5.50 for one month. You can extend it two additional months for another $5.50. Finally, you can put the film on indefinite loan for another $5.50. Civil records can also be viewed in the comune of origin. The Ufficio dello Stato Civile of each comune will have the records and while you are in Sicily you can visit this office. However (IMHO), researching the films in advance can prepare you and help you make contact with any distant relatives who might still live in the comune. This can really enhance the experience of visiting your ancestral town. I was lucky enough to meet 7 different cousins last time I was in Italy.
John Armellino
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Casa28

In Canada the films cost $7.00 to rent and right now the FHC are backlogged. Normally films would arrive in about 3 weeks but my last few took almost 2 months.

If you're in Toronto, there are several FHC but the one I like best is the one at Don Mills (near the Science Centre). I believe there is also one in Etobicoke but I've never visited it.

The number for the Don Mills one (again, assuming you're in Toronto) is 416 422 5480. They're open until 4 pm on Fridays and Saturday morning's open from 9:30 am to 12 or 12:30 pm.

Hope this helps.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Casa28

Post by Casa28 »

Yes I am in Toronto. I will check it out. Thanks Nuccia and JohnArmellino.
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

I'm sending you an PM!
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database