no naturalization

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Maestranzi

no naturalization

Post by Maestranzi »

I need to have some kind of document showing that my great grandfather was never naturalized (which he wasn't) in order to get an italian passport. my great grandfather was born in italy and lived there until he was 27 , therefore becoming an italian citizen even though his father was already naturalized. so when he finally went to the u.s. he didnt have to be naturalized based on the fact that his father was already american. so i need a document proving he never was naturalized (therefore never renouncing his italian citizenship) when coming to the u.s. Does anyone know who i can get this from? or is it even possible? Its hard to prove something never happened, rather than proving something did take place.
mler
Master
Master

Re: no naturalization

Post by mler »

Maestranzi, you can apply for a copy of his naturalization certificate using form G639 (Freedom of Information Act). If they don't find one, they will contact you informing you that such a certificate does not exist.
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Someone on another forum had luck with this address:

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service
FOIA/PA
111 Massachusetts Avenue
Washington, D.C. 20529
Maestranzi

Post by Maestranzi »

mler, should i just write a letter to that address requesting a document of no naturalization? is there any cost that you know involved, or should i just send a letter to that adress?
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

I have not done this myself, so I'm just offering an opinion. The FOIA form does not ask for a payment. Is says, instead that they will bill you later (I believe up to $25). I would guess then that a letter would do it. Include as much information as possible, because that allows things to move more quickly.

By the way, this is where I found the information if you would like to check it out for yourself:

http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/g-639.htm

At the bottom of this page, you will find this statement:

Certifications: Certification of Nonexistence of a Record involves an agency decision. The Office of Records Management prepares this documentation. Requests for this service should be addressed to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services ATTN: Records Services Branch, 111 Massachusetts Avenue, N.W. 4th Floor, Washington, D.C. 20529.
Maestranzi

Post by Maestranzi »

would you suggest me to send in a copy of the G-639 form requesting a naturalization document, and then hope that they send me a document saying no naturalization took place when they find that out, or should i forget the G-639 form and just write a letter requesting a document saying no naturalization took place?
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

I probably would do both. At least this way you have both things going, and whatever gets you results first is the one you use. You can download the form from the website I listed and simply send it out. You can also, making the assumption that there will be no records found, write a letter requesting a statement to this effect. Again, be sure to include as much information as you can.

Good luck.