Dual Citizenship: Amend Birth certificate- to what date?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
rachie

Dual Citizenship: Amend Birth certificate- to what date?

Post by rachie »

I am wondering if anyone has advice as to what is the best date to amend my grandfathers birth certificate to. Little background- we had an appointment a couple pf years ago and b/c my grandpas birth certificate and death certificate did not match they said they could not prove he was the same person. On his birth certificate it has all the names spelled wrong and the birth date incorrect. After more research I have found we have 2 options but I'm not sure what is best.
1. amend the birth certificate using army records, ss etc to match the info on the death certificate dob of 11/20/1916. I believe there would be sufficient documentation for them to make these changes
or
2. use the baptismal certificate to change the info. on the birth certificate and the new DOB would be accurate 11/19/15. We would then have to amend the death certificate to reflect the true dob as it was always listed incorrectly. while this would be the more "accurate" method I do worry b/c my great grandfathers naturalization papers have my grandpa listed as a child and have his DOB as 11/20/1916.

While option 2 is the more accurate option will this cause a problem since the naturalization papers won't match? Is option 1 the easier option and better to just match all the records with the dob that my grandpa always used?