Looking for family history in US papers.

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Piccioli
Rookie
Rookie

Looking for family history in US papers.

Post by Piccioli »

I have been very fortunate to have found my relatives in Italy. Most of my family members in the US are dead. I would love to get their obits and articles of family members from the newspaper. I know there are several sites that I can search but I was hoping someone could tell me which one would be the best. I would like some help since these old newspaper sites can be expensive. This site has helped me so much and I am so thankful.
Lady Leader
brendamartino

Re: Looking for family history in US papers.

Post by brendamartino »

You can try Chronicling America. They do have free newspaper archives, but in my experience, most of the time searching for an Italian surname will bring up an Italian newspaper.... worth a look though! :)
Robin B Mc
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Robin B Mc »

It really depends on the location or individual newspaper. For example, genealogybank.com has the Philadelphia Inquirer but newspapers.com and newspaperarchive.com don't. But then newspapers.com might have a different paper that genealogybank.com doesn't, and newspaperarchive.com might have one that the other two don't. The best thing to do is use this list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... r_archives to help you find which source has the specific paper you're looking for.
Piccioli
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Piccioli »

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate the info.
Lady Leader
joetucciarone
Elite
Elite

Post by joetucciarone »

Here are a bunch of archived newspapers:

https://news.google.com/newspapers

You can easily open and scan any edition in this list. Unfortunately, about two years ago Google removed the function that allowed search-words to be used with these.