Citizenship through marriage oath.

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Drew927
Elite
Elite

Citizenship through marriage oath.

Post by Drew927 »

Has anyone recently had a spouse take the oath for Italian Citizenship after a successful application? My wife should be getting the call this spring and we would like to know what the procedure/experience was.

Thanks,
Drew
rcblair777

Re: Citizenship through marriage oath.

Post by rcblair777 »

hello Drew927, I should be obtaining my Italian citizenship this year. After I do, I will want my wife to obtain her's by marriage. I see that you have already gone through the process and was wondering how long it took for your wife to get her citizenship. I hear it can take two years.
Thank you,
Robert
Drew927
Elite
Elite

Re: Citizenship through marriage oath.

Post by Drew927 »

Hi Robert,

Yes you are correct. It will be a minimum of two years from the day you submit your wife's application at the consulate. It has actually been a bit longer for me. Two years passed last May. I do follow the progress on the Interior Ministery website and I expect some news very soon.
Good luck!!
P.S. Just a word of advice, when you research your wife's criminal records be sure to have them done in her maiden name as well as her married name. The consulate made a little fuss about the fact that I did not but sent it through anyway.
Drew