short 3 way call to Interior Ministry with Italian speaker

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
mikedc
Rookie
Rookie

short 3 way call to Interior Ministry with Italian speaker

Post by mikedc »

Hello All --

I would like to place a short call to the Interior Ministry to check on the status of my application. Unfortunately, I do not have my "Numero Practica" and the Consulate is not being very helpful in locating the K10 Code. In addition, I do not speak Italian so I need someone on the phone with me to translate.

I learned through a post that there is a number to call:

If you don't have the file number call the number below to obtain your file number and the progress
39-06-3691-2882
Provide them with your
Maiden Name (not marriage)
Date Of Birth
Place Of Application

Please let me know if anyone is willing to help. Thank you so much! ~ Michael
kontessa
Elite
Elite

Re: short 3 way call to Interior Ministry with Italian speak

Post by kontessa »

I could be mistaken, but I think that checking the status of your application through the Ministry of the Interior is for applicants who have applied for citizenship in Italy. Also, I think that this system was set up for other types of applications (ex regular naturalization, marriage), NOT for those classified as jure sanguinis.

I have seen it mentioned on several forums (tuttostranieri for one), and recall forum member ricbru mentioning here before that applicants are entitled to their case file number. I don't understand the reluctance on the part of the consulate though to release an applicant's case file number! Maybe they want applicants to remain in the dark after they've handed everything over to them, or they really don't want to be bothered by applicants for any questions about what is/has happened to their documents?

How did you submit your request - did you fax or submit via registered mail an official request for your file number? Keep a copy of your request letter and the receipt that your official request was received? The consulate is required, like all other administrative officials in a comune, to respond to your request, and within a specific period of time.

With all that said, is there a problem with your case that you need to check on the status? Has there been an extraordinary amount of time that has passed since you've submitted your paperwork? If it's any consolation, I know of several people experiencing delays in having their papers transcribed in comune registers.
mikedc
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mikedc »

Thank you for your response. Yes, the website does check Citizenship Status even for those who have aplied abroad (see http://www.esteri.it/MAE/EN/Ministero/S ... tadinanza/).

Almost 2 years have past since my applicaiton was submitted at the Consulate and I'm just curious to see where it stands.

Thanks,
Michael
kontessa
Elite
Elite

Post by kontessa »

I looked at the link that you provided, and still can't see where you get that jure sanguinis applicants are able to check on the status of their case. I saw mentioned naturalization cases for those applying outside of Italy, but not js.

Two years is ridiculous. Which consulate are you dealing with? Pls post details about your case, including how and when you've asked for information from the consulate. I have no problem contacting a comune for you or assisting you with creating a plan to deal with the consulate. If you aren't comfortable posting personal information here, pm me.
kontessa
Elite
Elite

Post by kontessa »

I searched some of your previous posts and see that you applied in DC. I dealt with Sra Provenzano a few times before, and others on staff at the embassy, and found them to be fair and very professional. Something isn't right with your case and you deserve to know the cause of the problem. Again, post what you've done thus far, or send me a pm.
mikedc
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mikedc »

I'm sorry, I am applying through Marriage -- that must be the difference.
kontessa
Elite
Elite

Post by kontessa »

mikedc wrote:I'm sorry, I am applying through Marriage -- that must be the difference.
Ahhhh, then a 2-year wait is not so unusual. Perhaps you ARE able to access the website, but I'm not certain. I'll try to do a bit of searching online to find out a bit more. I would think that at the very least, you must have your case file number. I would submit an official request for that case number to Sra P right away.

Btw, what is the standard wait-time for marriage applications? Does it differ for those applying at a consulate outside of Italy? (If you read Italian, tuttostranieri.it has a lot of information.)
mikedc
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mikedc »

I'm not sure I understand your question about the standard wait time for marriage applications... I heard 1-2 years.
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

The easiest way is to call the comune where the records were sent from italian consulate, to be filed.
If the marriage certificate was filed, than you can request estratto di matrimonio to apply for italian citizenship.
First of all tell us when you applied thru marriage (dd/mm/yyyy), name of you and your spouse, name of comune/town where your marriage record was sent to. If you want you can send me a pm or email to ricbru@gmail.com, ciao Riccardo
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

Mikedc, if two years have passed since your Italian spouse filed a petition for you, you will have citizenship in another three years and not less than three years.
kontessa
Elite
Elite

Post by kontessa »

Here's a link to check on time frames for citizenship by marriage:

http://www.interno.it/mininterno/export ... _8_09.html

(I think that if you have children the times are cut in half.)
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

Wait time cut in half for applicants with children is not true. My good friends and neighbors in Italy have a two year old. The wife cannot go to the United States with the rest of the family because she will not have her Italian passport for another three years. They were married in July 2009.
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Post by sceaminmonkey »

the time frame for children is cut in half but Romes approval time of two years is not cut in half. so you can apply sooner but the turn around time is no less. this happened to the friend who actually got me to apply for my citizenship. they were married in 2006 and they had a child and applied after a year and a half of marriage I think
kontessa
Elite
Elite

Post by kontessa »

http://www.immigrazione.biz/circolare.php?id=353

Link verifying that the time frame in which to apply via marriage is cut in half. How long it takes to process the paperwork is another story.