dropping off documents - NYC

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
rgaetano
Rookie
Rookie

dropping off documents - NYC

Post by rgaetano »

I was told to drop off a document at NYC. I'm wondering what people in the past have done. I was told to drop it off at the reception desk. Do you write a cover letter? Do you put them in a folder? Do you direct them towards anybody in particular in the citizenship office? I just want to make sure it gets to where it is supposed to go. Thanks
SChiarini
Rookie
Rookie

Re: dropping off documents - NYC

Post by SChiarini »

Hi Rgaetano,

I have dropped off 2 documents at NYC. Just tell the person at the front desk you were told to drop off a document. I usually put a cover letter on the inside (if need be), then I put the document(s) in a big brown envelope (sealed). I put on the front who it was from, the date, and who it was going to. I've address it to the officer who handled my case. In March it took a week to register the documents, this past July it took 2 days to register. Believe me, I've worried that it wouldn't get where it was going either, but it will :) Hope this helps
rgaetano
Rookie
Rookie

Post by rgaetano »

thanks, that helps! What do you mean by "register the documents"? Also, how did you address (on the envelope) the officer who handled the case (since, in my case, last name is unknown and it would seem weird to address it to a first name). Thanks
SChiarini
Rookie
Rookie

Post by SChiarini »

I think It takes a few days for them to pull your file and enter the documents information in the computer. I knew my officers first and last name so I just put his name on the front, but i was told i could have just addressed it to the citizenship department.
rgaetano
Rookie
Rookie

Post by rgaetano »

But how were you informed that it was "registered"? Did you send/receive an email?
SChiarini
Rookie
Rookie

Post by SChiarini »

I called and asked...(even though I don't think they were too happy).
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Post by sceaminmonkey »

is this for the letter from a court? how did you know to drop it off? did you email them or call them?