The Making of a Stato di Famiglia

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
donnawright
Elite
Elite

The Making of a Stato di Famiglia

Post by donnawright »

How exactly does the civil office in Italy make a stato di famiglia?
Looking for Biagianti, Modesti & Vincenti in Tuscany and Tomaino, Curcio, Mazza, & Rizzo in Calabria
Paolo47
Veteran
Veteran

Re: The Making of a Stato di Famiglia

Post by Paolo47 »

Not sure if this helps,
http://postimage.org/image/2gldcq1fo/

Paul
Researching Ruggiero, Caputo, Viola, Priore and many more at Our Family Genealogy.
Paolo47
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Paolo47 »

How exactly does the civil office in Italy make a stato di famiglia?
I should have added to my example...the research is done and the information is transcribed onto a blank form which would then be an extract.
Paul
Researching Ruggiero, Caputo, Viola, Priore and many more at Our Family Genealogy.
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

Depending on the town and they year you want it for it could be very easy or extremely complicated. First they establish who is the Head of the family (you need to state this and their DOB) then they have to research 20 years of records to determine how many children they had. If they have 10 year indexes in alphabetical order this isn't too bad but unless the town if large they won't often have that. So its looking in the index (assuming there is one) in every book for every year.
Don't even think about asking for one for before 1865 as the records are usually in an archive and very dirty.
Assuming they do one, you won't get details of children who died as they don't count in a Stato di famiglia. This record is usually generated to allow the family to qualify for benefits of some kind and while it is very useful for genealogy purposes it is not usually complete.
Having said that, some towns do have old Foglio di Famiglia that gives all the information but it is very hit & miss.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
donnawright
Elite
Elite

Post by donnawright »

Thanks, Ann and Paul. I read here and elsewhere that it is a nuisance for them to do these. Now I have a better understand of the mechanics to prepare one. Good to know. I have a few of these with the oldest head of the house being born 1834 and others with the head of the house 1851. I am fortunate. Thanks again.
Looking for Biagianti, Modesti & Vincenti in Tuscany and Tomaino, Curcio, Mazza, & Rizzo in Calabria
donnawright
Elite
Elite

Post by donnawright »

Some of the LDS films that I am using have indices on them and some do not. Some are alphabetical by FIRST NAME (for some reason), which would certainly not help them do their research easily. When they research and see that the index is missing or first-name alphabetical, I wonder if they take the time to make one or revise the first-name-first index. Seems it would be to their benefit in the long run, but probably a matter of prioritizing their work. Thanks, Ann. I was hoping you would see my inquiry.
Harleygrrl
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Harleygrrl »

Hi there, there was a previous discussion on this. You might find this link useful:
http://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/topic7263.html
Harleygrrl
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Harleygrrl »

this forum shortened my link! if you have trouble finding the topic, try this website (italiangenealogy dot com) then /forum/topic7263.html.
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

Donna, none of the towns where I have researched have taken the time to do an index or rewrite one. First name indexes are not good (and a lot of churches used them) and even if they did sometimes the name used on a daily basis was not the one given first on the birth record and it was often the other name used for the marriage record.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.