HELP ME!! consulate needs court letter!!!

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

HELP ME!! consulate needs court letter!!!

Post by sceaminmonkey »

so I got an email from the consulate today requesting a " letter from a court judge" because my great grandfathers birth date is wrong on his naturalization form. all I have is a positive negative letter from the commune. I also have a letter from kennith cobb saying the correct dates. If I do need a letter from a court judge what do I do ? help me please!!!
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Re: HELP ME!! consulate needs court letter!!!

Post by sceaminmonkey »

I also want to say they see the birth dates is just off by one year.. sooo frustrating!!
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Post by sceaminmonkey »

I also have a letter from the commune saying that these are the same person. the positive negative letter? do you think this is acceptable? someone talk some sense in to me. I knew this would come.
JavaisLife
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JavaisLife »

"all I have is a positive negative letter from the commune. I also have a letter from kennith cobb saying the correct dates. If I do need a letter from a court judge what do I do ? help me please!!!"

Did you give the consulate these two other documents with your application - and then they sent you the letter requesting the Court Order? Or, you are worried these two additional documents are not enough?

I believe these two letters are enough - go to the consulate asap and drop them off. These should work. I got a letter from Ken Cobb instead of a court order. Give Tony a call and say you will be dropping off the additional documents - to give him the heads up.

Gluck!!!
M
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Post by sceaminmonkey »

No I never gave them in because they did not ask for them and they for sure saw the problem before but emilio blew it off. =( yes I am worried they will not take them. and yes I will have my mother call and say this. I think they are good enough but I am worried they wont. do you think it is wise to email them a copy of the letter and ask if this is good enough or should I just drop it off with a heads up? ..... the squeaky wheel got the grease and now the grease is all over.
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Post by sceaminmonkey »

my real question is how should I present the letters since its not exactly what they are asking for?
JavaisLife
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JavaisLife »

I PMed you Michael Quinn's address and the USCIS e-mail address w/ phone number. Write to them and request a letter - and photocopy and send along all of your supporting documentation (including a photocopy of a letter from the Consulate).

E-mail the consulate the additional documents, as well as dropping them off. Don't ask them if they need more - that's just opening a door. My letter said I should make a second appointment, I did not - I dropped off the documents.

Remember you have a need to get this moving a long - so they will be "somewhat" understanding. Or so I think. Or, so I would do anyway. If you remember, I had my friend show up the next morning to drop off my additional documents. I didn't even ask if it was okay - I just did it.

Emilio did the same thing in my interview - said the "we'll see" - when I had the documents on me for some mistakes. I'm not sure what the logic is, for the "we'll see" is an obvious - there's a mistake here. ...
JavaisLife
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JavaisLife »

ps - I wrote to you again as a PM, but I want to keep this information in this thread incase others run into the same problem. ...

"However, (I just thought of this now) since the NARA (National Archives) has an office in NYC. You can go to the National Archives on Varik street. The National Archives holds all the records of our government. You can get a new certified copy of your GGF Naturalization Paper - and meet with the director (I believe who is a woman) to write you a letter (similar to what you had Ken Kobb do at the Municipal Archives) show him/her photocopies of all supporting documentation and the letter from Consulate requesting a letter from "the director" stating that the document is that of your GGF.

Again, this would be very similar to what you did at the Municipal Archives, and ask if they would draft you such a letter. Try your best to convince them it is w/in their power to do so. I had to convince Mr Kobb he could, and once he did - he now does it for everyone

The more I think about it - going to NARA might be your best bet - for you can just talk to them casually in person and walk out w/ a letter the same day. But I would do all three options (E-mail USCIS, Snail Mail Michael Quinn, and visit NARA) see which gets you a letter the fastest."
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Post by sceaminmonkey »

The consulate responded and they will only accept a letter from a court or judge. Is this even possible? I'm Gona have to hire a lawyer.
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Post by sceaminmonkey »

I went to the federal and supreme court of new york today and things dont look hopeful. the pro se office knew when I said it i need it for dual citizenship that it was for italy. apparently this is common for italy to do to people. This is honestly ridiculous the names arent even variations. I dont know what to do now. I am gona file paper work and pray a judge will be understanding.
rgaetano
Rookie
Rookie

Post by rgaetano »

Screaminmonkey,
I am now in the similar situation. Any progress on your status?
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Post by sceaminmonkey »

Pm me
rjnigro
Rookie
Rookie

Post by rjnigro »

I sent a PM to you both
italiangal36
Rookie
Rookie

Post by italiangal36 »

Did you guys end up finding a resolution to this? In addition to my ggf's birth date being off by 8 days on his Italian birth certificate VS his naturalization paperwork, his name is spelled 'Di' on his Italian birth cert whereas it is spelled as 'De' in all of this US paperwork including his naturalization cert.
rjnigro
Rookie
Rookie

Post by rjnigro »

Not yet on my part. Apparently the Mike Quinn is not the person at USCIS anymore. The person is Teddy O. Davis. They are just a wall ... keep pushing me off to the Genealogy group. I queried USCIS as to what they have as back up documentation in support of the information on the Petition. When I went to US Court Southern District, clerk there said I can only confirm what our records show, not what you have in your hands. Well USCIS confirms all they have in an immigrants file is the actual Certificate of Naturalization, Petition, and Declaration. No birth record, no proof of address etc. USCIS insists only the person named in the Petition can amend. As in most of our cases that person is deceased. Presently trying an ex-parte action in NY Supreme Court but that seems dim when reading about others outcomes.