Correcting Father's 1910 BC

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
pcgraphics

Correcting Father's 1910 BC

Post by pcgraphics »

I am so close. The consulate took all my paperwork and stated I may mail in correction to discrepancies on father's birth certificate. There are two.
.....In line for mother, it has my father's father name.
.....In line for mother's maiden name, it has father's mother's mother's maiden name.
Court order where and how? In place where I live or in Kings county (Brooklyn NY where issued)? Who would you recommend to help get this done? Can I do it my self?

Supporting Documents:
-Father's parents NYC marriage certificate
-Father's parents church marriage certificate
-Baptism certificate of father
-Baptism certificate, in Italian, of father's older brother
Thank You for any info
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Correcting Father's 1910 BC

Post by johnnyonthespot »

You should contact New York City Vital Records and ask them what is required. See this page http://www.nyc.gov/html/doh/html/vr/vr- ... orm1.shtml

I made substantial corrections to my mother's 1925 New York State birth certificate for the sake of posterity (not needed for my own jure sanguinis application). I had to submit certified translations of my grandparent's Italian birth and marriage certificates as well as other supporting documents. It helped greatly that my mother is still living and she signed the actual request for ammendment.

Having said that, New York City follows its own rules and is generally much easier to get along with than is New York State.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
rgaetano
Rookie
Rookie

Post by rgaetano »

hi, congrats on getting this far. I'm not sure how it works for NYC amending, but Carmine is right, it will be much easier than if it was NYS.

As I have my appointment next month, I am curious - was this a recent appointment? And did you have any discrepancies that they accepted? Did they ask for all non-blood line documents? Thanks
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

This is probably a better link for NYC birth certificate corrections: http://www.nyc.gov/html/doh/html/vr/vr- ... tion.shtml
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
pcgraphics

Post by pcgraphics »

My appointment was April 15 in NYC. The bloodline is through my paternal grandfather.
pcgraphics

Post by pcgraphics »

Problem with NYC route, thus court order?
How to Make a Correction or Addition to a NYC Birth Certificate

To submit a change to a NYC birth certificate, you must be at least 18 years of age and named on the certificate or the parent of the person named on the certificate.

I am neither but the son of my deceased parents and grandparents.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Nevertheless, I would contact them and ask what is required for you to get this correction processed. There is no point in pursuing a court order if they tell you they will not comply with it (as New York State has apparently been doing of late). Also, they may offer an alternative solution.
Carmine

SChiarini
Rookie
Rookie

Post by SChiarini »

I've had a similar problem trying to correct my grandmother's birth certificate. It has my great grandmothers name listed as Lena when her real name is Angela/Angelina.

Unfortunately, I havent had much luck. I was told by vital records in NYC that they would NOT be able to change this as it is seen as a name change rather than a correction (they consider a correction as one or two letters to be changed)

They informed me that I need to get a court order in order to change this name. Again, I have no proof that this is my ggm as she was born Angela and on every other document she changed and used the name (not legally) Angelina -- don't even get me started about the messed up birthdates as well.

REally not sure how to proceed with a court order, as once you get a rejection letter from NYC vital records saying they cant change it, you only have a 4 month window to file the petition for the court order.

This is all the information I have thus far, hope it can shed some light. I;m sure there has to be others going through something similar?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

SChiarini wrote:... she was born Angela and on every other document she changed and used the name (not legally) Angelina --
Are you pursuing this on your own or were you ordered to make the change by your consulate?

Angelina simply means "Little Angela" in Italian. A girl might have been given the name Angela at birth but then always called Angelina, especially if there were other Angela's in the nearby family.

At least some consulates take a practical approach to this sort of thing.
Carmine

JavaisLife
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JavaisLife »

The 1910 is from Vital Records? ... hmph. I was able to get many of those documents changed. However, it was easier for me for my mother was alive and I filled out the forms and had her make the corrections for both her mother and father. This was done only a few months ago.

You can also get a certified letter from the director, if you cannot get an amendment or court order. Try your best not to go the court order route.

You'll want to get in touch with Ms Toombs at Vital Records, she is in charge of changes.

If Municipal Archives you'll want to get in touch w/ Kenn Kobb.

Marie
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Apparently, 1910 records are just this side of the cusp. The website says birth records earlier than 1910 are in the archives (nearly impossible to change) whereas 1910 and later are held by the deaprtment of health.
Carmine

SChiarini
Rookie
Rookie

Post by SChiarini »

@ johnnyonthespot

I was told by the consulate I would need to correct this- the problem wasnt so much with Angela vs Angelina - it was because it listed her name on my gm birth certificate as 'Lena'. Instead of arguing that her name had no bearing on my application (since I already proved I qualify through my ggf) I didnt think it would be this hard to change it, I simply told the officer that it wouldnt be a problem (HA!)

I sort of wish I was going through municipal archives so I could do what Javislife did and speak to Ken Kobbs- he seemed to be helpful. I suppose I will try and contact Ms Toombs as no one, including lawyers, seem to even have a clue how to go about the court order route!

HAs anyone met with Ms Toombs before? On the rejection from Vital records they said I can get a letter from a director ( which I'm assuming is her) or get a court order stating this is the same person.

Thanks in advance :)
JavaisLife
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JavaisLife »

I have met w/ Ms Toombs. She corrected a birth and death certificate for me. You're going to have to go through the process of an amendment of the Birth Certificate. It's about 3 month process. If the consulate gave you a letter, you can go w/ that requesting that the amended document is being requested by the consulate. This can speed the process up slightly. But, I would have the mindset of 3 months, for that is normally how long an amendment takes.

To make the changes necessary, you'll need to bring documents that have the proper information - that are dated/from before the 1910 birth certificate. Reasons being - you are trying to show that the information on the 1910 document is wrong, and that it was correct prior.

As for the Angelina vs Lena - you will need to make corrections on the documents proceeding to reflect Lena. So you'll be changing the marriage and if applicable death certificate - and anywhere else on the more recent documents that have the wrong information. Have those documents reflect the birth certificate.

Ex: my mother has a middle name, however on her birth certificate there wasn't one. I had to change my mothers marriage, and my brother and my birth certificate to show my mothers name w/out the middle name. For as Vital Records are concerned, what is on the birth certificate is the proper name. ... all information after is wrong. Try to change your focus instead of fighting the insitution. They will not budge.

Good luck!
Marie
KarenChristino
Veteran
Veteran

Post by KarenChristino »

I believe I will be looking at something similar. I work for an experienced attorney (35+ years) who handles Surrogate's Court matters. Surrogate's Court deals mainly with Wills and Trusts, (as a surrogato or substitute) for those who have passed away. Mostly they oversee assets, but I imagined that the Court Order to correct or create a birth record would have to come through Surrogate's Court since the person has died. He had never heard of such a thing and had no idea how you would do it. I think we have to exhaust the amendment processes, though it seems like there's a nice amount of work out there for some enterprising lawyer!
sforza
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sforza »

Karen,
I got my grandfather's 1914 birth cert amended by NYC Vital Records. My grandfather is deceased. You do not need a court order. The person who amended my doc is Ms. Timbers. Make sure your package gets to her.