New York Consulate

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
rpetronejr

New York Consulate

Post by rpetronejr »

I have my appointment finally next week for my dual citizenship through my great grandfather. I am going with my uncle (who is going through his grandfather) who is also going for his as well. We have been working on this together for a few year now in getting all of the paperwork together for the meeting.

Has anyone had experience going together with someone else at the same time? When i spoke with them it shouldnt be an issue. We have a half hour each so hoping the hour will be enough time.

On a side note, planning to drive down real early in the morning does anyone have any advice on where to park?

Thanks again in advance.
Rob
mler
Master
Master

Re: New York Consulate

Post by mler »

I went in with my son, but that was several years ago. An hour is more than enough time unless there are major problems. Do plan on driving in early; the traffic in that part of the city is horrendous. You'll be unlikely to find street parking in that area, but there should be quite a few parking garages on or near Madison and Lexington Avenues.

Best of luck.
rpetronejr

Post by rpetronejr »

Thank you very much for the response. Did your son have any issues doing everything at the same time as you?
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Post by sceaminmonkey »

I had my appointment 2 months ago at the NYC consulate and me my mom and sister all went together! we had appointments one after the other .otherwise its not happening from what they told us! me my mother and sister all had 1030 1100 and 1130 appointments same day and we were out in about 45 minutes. waiting though is the worst 30 minutes of your life. dont bother showing up to early because they wont let you up.when you do get in say hey "my uncle or nephew is right after me but we are applying with the same paper work, can he come in ?" he or she will either say yes or wait till I review and let you in at the end. you will not find public parking there is an ICON PARKING on 249 65th street. I park there when I drive up to school at hunter. I would just go there and not waste time. good luck to you!
JavaisLife
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JavaisLife »

My brother and mother went a few weeks ago - they had back to back appointments. I put their application together, and was waiting at a nearby coffee shop. They had my mom and brother go through their paperwork together - and I was called to join their appointment (left the coffee shop to come join them to clear up some confusion).

Each appointment is slightly different on need.

If you want to drive in - I suggest parking at a garage. I would park where Monkey suggested.

Best of luck!
Marie
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

I find it so much easier to take a train into Grand Central Terminal and then walk to the consulate (if it is a nice day; 15 - 20 minutes depending on your walk speed), or take a northbound 4-5-6 subway from GCT to 68th Street/Hunter College. From there it is just a one block walk west to the consulate.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
Drew927
Elite
Elite

Post by Drew927 »

I'm going into to Penn so i will either walk over to take the 6 uptown or just take a cab. My appointment is next tuesday. If we have nice weather I may just walk.
What does everyone suggest I wear, business or just casual. I want to make a positive first impression.

Drew
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Clean, neat, respectful casual should be fine.

Don't carry any unnecessary extras with you (backpacks, etc) as they will need to be searched. For sure, don't bring along your pocketknife, handgun, or assault rifle. :)

If you have written confirmation of your appointment (a letter or email) bring it with you as you will have to convince the guard at the entrance portal that you have an appointment. Also be sure to bring your driver's license or other ID and be prepared for the guard to hold onto it while you are in the building (you can retreive it on your way out).

You may find the great, big, front doors locked, in which case you have to bang quite hard or look for the button which rings the bell (if I recall, it is on the right but not clearly marked).
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
JavaisLife
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JavaisLife »

Hi Drew -

I suggest dressing business casual (nice slacks, dress shoes, button down underneath a sweater). However, dress what you feel most comfortable in.

Don't over think it ;)

Good luck!
rpetronejr

Post by rpetronejr »

Does anyone know if there is a fee associated with the application, I can't find the info anywhere.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

There are no fees for jus sanguinis applications. Shoul;d you be approved, there will be a fee for your passport, ~$105.00 based on current Euro/Dollar exchange rates if I recall correctly.

There is a significant fee (€200) for jus matrimonio (by marriage) applications.
Carmine

rpetronejr

Post by rpetronejr »

Thank you very much to everyone who has provided information, this is a great help.
Drew927
Elite
Elite

Post by Drew927 »

Great advice once again.

Thanks,
Drew
UpstateNY

Post by UpstateNY »

I had 2 appointments with my mother and sister. We all went in together but we all had separate appointments. Be sure to bring your emails showing you have appointments for both of you because they challenged our appointments both times, they seem to like to challenge EVERYTHING :)
rpetronejr

Post by rpetronejr »

Interesting trip today. Two hours for the appointment for the two of us. Everything went smoothly until my birth certificate was missing the Jr after my name as my father and I have the same name. My passport/license have Jr. So i have 30 days to correct it. What a pain.