Hello community

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
beauac
Veteran
Veteran

Hello community

Post by beauac »

I am still working on getting my documents in order. I fled the usa again to Germany this time for 6 weeks, needed another break. I have been thinking about going down to Italy for a few days and visiting my ancestral comune for the first time. I was just wondering if there is there anything while I am there that I could do to speed up the process? I suppose I could get more family documents but can one apply in Italy or submit the papers in Italy? Sorry that I am always looking for shortcuts but that is just kind of how I operate. In any event it will be nice to see the village my ancestors abandoned. It is so small I do not think it even has a train station or hotel, wonder how I will get there.
kontessa
Elite
Elite

Re: Hello community

Post by kontessa »

beauac wrote: I was just wondering if there is there anything while I am there that I could do to speed up the process? I suppose I could get more family documents but can one apply in Italy or submit the papers in Italy?

Requesting additional family documents might be a nice way to introduce yourself to the individuals who will eventually be handling your paperwork (if your records are being transcribed there). If it's a small comune, maybe all important offices are located in the same building, making it easier for you to interface with everyone. IMO, it is always better to make face-time with these individuals, and to get to know the community. If you have any mistakes in your ancestor's documents and need supplementary evidence (ie reinforcements) you could ask about that, too, but just visiting to introduce yourself is a nice idea.

It is possible for someone to apply in Italy, but there are several important steps to take upon arrival, and you would have to have your documents in order before leaving the US. You should also be well-versed in what should typically occur in order to apply in Italy, and then have plenty of time for the whole thing to be turned upside-down and inside-out. Doing this during a vacation is probably next to impossible. Visit expatsinitaly.com and read some of the threads by people who have gone through the process.

beauac wrote: It is so small I do not think it even has a train station or hotel, wonder how I will get there.
There may be local buses running from the nearest train station, and places to stay in nearby towns (look for a nearby agriturismo as well). I've visited many hidden hill towns, and seen buses wobble up and down through a maze of hairpin turns - amazing that they actually have bus service to some of these places! (Also a wonder they don't just topple of the side of the mountain). Yeah, be sure to take a bus and live a little! :lol: You could also rent a car when you arrive, and do your own driving. Either way, enjoy your visit.
beauac
Veteran
Veteran

Post by beauac »

Thank you kontessa, useful information.
kontessa
Elite
Elite

Post by kontessa »

You are very welcome. Good luck. :)