Dead End, Need Expert Advice

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
adifresco
Rookie
Rookie

Dead End, Need Expert Advice

Post by adifresco »

I've been trying to trace my Italian ancestors for over 5 years now. My great-grandfather was born in the province of Chieti in Abruzzo in 1896. He immigrated to the United States in 1912. I know his name, birthdate, and the names of his parents, but nothing else.

I've written to the two comunes where I thought he was from, I've written to the churches in those towns, and I've written to distant cousins who still live in the area. All of these requests have either turned up with nothing, or I simply didn't get a response at all. This is the one branch of my family tree that I know very little about, and I would love to eventually solve the mystery. Not only with vital information like names, birth/marriage/death dates, but hopefully some biographical details about the family as well.

The only option I have left is to hire an expert genealogist in the region. Does anyone know roughly what this might cost? Or can someone recommend a genealogist who specializes in this region?

Thanks in advance for the help.
pink67
Master
Master

Re: Dead End, Need Expert Advice

Post by pink67 »

If this is the related post:
http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/Foru ... 14559.html

Have you tried to contact your nearest Family History Center and ask for example to rent the microfilm for the civil registrations of the town of Chieti for the years you're interested?

Title Registri dello stato civile di Chieti (Chieti), 1809-1900
Authors Chieti (Chieti). Ufficio dello stato civile (Main Author)

Nati, matrimoni, morti, notificazioni, cittadinanze 1895-1896 FHL INTL Film 1416234

If he is not present in the Chieti Civil Registrations then you can be sure that he was really born in Frisa ...

Laura
adifresco
Rookie
Rookie

Post by adifresco »

Thanks! That's one option I haven't tried. I'm also now considering that he might have been born in Lanciano because there are some Di Frescos there as well.
adifresco
Rookie
Rookie

Post by adifresco »

I'm going to order the records from the FHC this week... I'm not getting my hopes up to find any answers though, because I did request this info from the comune of Chieti and they replied that they couldn't find it.

Can anyone answer my main questions, or at least point me in the right direction? What would it cost to hire a professional genealogist, and can you recommend one who specializes in this region?
montclaire
Veteran
Veteran

Post by montclaire »

Your best bet is to try to find someone who is going to visit that particular region. Instead of waiting six months for an answer they can be faxing you copies from a hotel lobby only hours after arriving. It also takes care of the euro issue, you can pay them upon return or so much up front to cover costs. Figure around $50 US for a stato, maybe more with the way the dollar has been tanking.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Just so you know if you write a letter to italian comune there is a italian law (law 241 of 1990 it says they must respone to your request for public documents) just rewrite your letter and send one of these form letters

http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... o.response

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
carmine1917
Elite
Elite

Post by carmine1917 »

I have had huge success with the Family History Center. When looking at records, you may find a birth of a relative and it will say the parents were from another town.