Official procedure for amending in NY or CT

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
beauac
Veteran
Veteran

Official procedure for amending in NY or CT

Post by beauac »

So I am finally ready to amend my documents (especially the newer ones). I just called up and they gave me the old song and dance, basically no amending. SO please tell me, what do I tell them so they will amend? Apparently people are out there amending things, the embassy is asking for it, but every time I bring it up the answer is no amending. Anyone???
rgaetano
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Official procedure for amending in NY or CT

Post by rgaetano »

I'd like to know as well. I called a small town clerk in NYS to amend a birth and marriage certificate and they said they didnt know how and would get back to me about it. Is there a state form to start the process?
kontessa
Elite
Elite

Post by kontessa »

Beauac - NYS or NYC?

Rgaetano - yes, there are specific forms to fill out to correct NYS documents, and there are specific rules that accompany each of the forms. Every town clerk should have the correction forms, so gently push your local clerk for the information.

NYS has guidelines as to who can correct which record, some being easier to amend than others. Who's birth and marriage records are you trying to amend? If your own or your children, probably not much of a problem. If it belongs to someone else, it is a bit more complicated. Other's can weigh in with their personal experiences. My mother was able to correct her own NYS birth record, and her son's. She was NOT able to correct her deceased parent's marriage record, though.

I did read a post within the past few months that the rules for correcting a NYS marriage record had changed - that it had become easier. Can't remember where I saw it though. Best to get the most up to date information anyway. You could always telephone the corrections unit in Albany and ask to speak to the supervisor, Ms. Ortiz. She'll tell you exactly what can or cannot be amended, and how to do it. Good luck.
rgaetano
Rookie
Rookie

Post by rgaetano »

Thanks kontessa,
I am hoping to be able to amend the following documents (all NYS)

GF birth
GF marriage
GGF death

Anyone have any experiences with these? I will start with local clerks then call albany.
beauac
Veteran
Veteran

Post by beauac »

NYC. All of my new york docs are from the municipal archives. The more modern ones are from CT. Please help anyone.
Drew927
Elite
Elite

Post by Drew927 »

beauac-
the following is a post I read from javaislife. It may be of help for you. She went to the NYC Archives...

I went to the Vital Records office, for they have the power to make changes to birth certificates. I figured it was worth a try. ... If you have the proper documentation to support - they can re-create the municipal archive document and enter it into their database. Which is what the Marriage Record hall did, and what I am waiting for the Birth Certificate corrections to do.

However, the letter I got from K Kobb is not "one-and-the-same" it was a letter that said. ...

"
I am writing this letter in response to correct the errors in the birth certificate of _________ (certificate #xxx of year), that you obtained from the NYC Department of Records/Municipal Archives.

Please be advised that all birth records prior to 1910, have been transferred from the NYC Department of Health to permanent custody of the NYC Department of Records/Municipal Archives along w/ al the marriage records prior to 1938, and all death records prior to 1949, and these vital records, therefore, cannot be amended corrected or changed in any way. However, an examination of this document and related vital records pertaining to _____name____, indicates that "Last Name Spelled Wrong" is a hand-generated misspelling of the family name "Proper Spelling." And the mother's name, "Misspelling" is similarly a hand-generated misspelling of the family name "Proper Spelling." In addition, the mother's name before marriage as indicated on the certificate as "M. Last name" is incorrect; the correct name is "Full first name and Last" and the birthplace should be New York City; not New York.

Sincerely,
The DUDE!

----"

Pretty much he kept the first part of the letter the same, then started to list all the errors as pointed out on the certificate. I had certified documents to back up these errors.

This letter was accepted by the Consulate (thus far) and it seems I may not have had to go the corrections rout. I suggest just getting one of those letters - for it was accepted, and easier to get.

But making a correction at the Marriage Hall is incredibly easy. Its a walkin- walk
beauac
Veteran
Veteran

Post by beauac »

Thanks. I am hoping someone here who has amended in CT can say something. As a matter of fact I think awhile back someone here said something about amending in CT but I can not find the thread.
JPMessina44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JPMessina44 »

Drew or anybody else, sorry to jack the original posters thread but do you think I could do this with the Newark consulate for my great grandfathers death record? Carmen did mention a letter that she can put with my original death certificate....is it possible this is what she meant, something like the post above?

My great grandfathers Italian birth record says June 12, 1888 and his death record from NYC says JUne 11, 1888 (off by one day.)

Any thoughts would be appreciated!!
Donald66
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Donald66 »

I can only speak about my experience at the Greenwich, CT Probate Court last summer:

With regards to deceased persons: NO changes to names on birth certificates, death certificates or marriage licenses are possible.

That being said, my sisters birth certificate has a spelling error and she wants to have it changed before she visits the Philly Consulate for her citizenship interview. The folks in Greenwich stated that she must travel from Pittsburgh to Greenwich and personally appear before the Probate Judge to request the change, cant do it my mail.
KarenChristino
Veteran
Veteran

Post by KarenChristino »

Donald,

Are you sure you have the correct venue? Probate Court generally handles only Wills and Estates (at least that's the case in NY). They may have birth, marriage and death records on file for a particular matter, but they do not create them and generally there seem to be separate vital records offices to obtain the documents we need.

Did you check out the CT Department of Public Health? http://www.ct.gov/dph/cwp/view.asp?a=31 ... Nav=|46940|

Also see http://www.ct.gov/dph/cwp/view.asp?a=31 ... 8134#Amend regarding corrections and amendments -- though of course very vague on their website!
beauac
Veteran
Veteran

Post by beauac »

Donald66 wrote: With regards to deceased persons: NO changes to names on birth certificates, death certificates or marriage licenses are possible.
So then how does one comply with the embassies strict no mistakes policy? Why do they tell us to amend and then the places tell us it is not possible? And apparently people are fixing things otherwise they would not become recognized. This type of thing is what I don't understand about the process. :evil:
priere
Rookie
Rookie

Post by priere »

I ended up not having to make any amendments but got the procedure from a supervisor at the Hartford CT vital records office.

First you need to show you are a relation that can amend ie: child, grandchild, spouse etc. with all official documents.

For example in my case to make an amendment to my grandfathers birth certificate I would have needed my birth certificate and my fathers birth certificate to prove the relation.

To make a change you would need supporting documentation for the change to be made.

To change my great grandmothers last name on my grandfathers birth certificate I would have also needed her Italian birth certificate with a translation into English, to prove what her last name really was. They would keep this for the updated vital record.

If you're talking to them via the phone I would suggest you tell them that you're not looking to CHANGE a record but rather AMEND it and that it's for dual citizenship and these are older records. I made this mistake at first and when I clarified I got the info I was looking for.

see here for more detail and read through the statutes and regulations as well: http://www.ct.gov/dph/cwp/view.asp?a=31 ... 8134#Amend

Don't be afraid to quote back their own info either, that's how I got them to give me my ggp's death certificates without needing to prove lineage.
Donald66
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Donald66 »

CT Probate Court functions:

The jurisdiction of the Probate Court is established by the State Legislature. Major areas of Court jurisdiction include:

probating wills and the administration of estates
overseeing testamentary and living trusts
determining title to real and personal property
construing the meaning of wills and trusts
appointing guardians for the mentally retarded
appointing conservators of the person and the estate of incapable individuals
committing those suffering from mental illness, alcoholism, or drug addiction to an appropriate facility
removing unfit parents as guardians of their children
terminating the parental rights of parents who cannot fulfill their parental responsibilities
granting adoptions
granting name changes & other matters, many of which are extremely delicate and complex and some of which are confidential.
Donald66
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Donald66 »

The woman at the Greenwich Vital Records office wasnt of much help either. She also stated that no changes could be made on the records of deceased persons.

The other issue we have with our records is that the surnames of my grandfather, my father and myself all differ by 1 letter!

Emilio wasnt concerned with the various spellings, at least that was at our October meeting! He took all the documents, so we keep our fingers crossed.
priere
Rookie
Rookie

Post by priere »

Donald66 wrote:The woman at the Greenwich Vital Records office wasnt of much help either. She also stated that no changes could be made on the records of deceased persons.
You can't change a record unless you are the person in question or a spouse. A parent can change their child's birth certificate as well. <----- alive

You can AMEND a record of a direct relation though so long as you have all proper supporting documents. <----- dead

It really is a matter of what you are telling the people in vital records. To 'change' and to 'amend' are different.