Naturlization records

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
5zoe16
Rookie
Rookie

Naturlization records

Post by 5zoe16 »

I am in need of help in locating copies of my grandparents naturalization petitions and declarations from Italian to US citizenship.

What info do I need to help with the location of documents? I have not been able to locate, on any site, enough information so as to pick the correct relative. The information is too brief or only lists a name. I need the petition numbers etc. so I can order hard copies.

Names are Joseph (Giuseppe) Divito, born 26 Jan 1883, immigrated 23 Feb 1901 to New York. Josephine (Giuseppina Giordano) Divito, born 3 Feb 1890 and arrived US about 1897. Both were born in Bella, Basilicata, Potenza, Italy.

In new york the lived in Manhattan and the Bronx. I think their naturalization was about 1919? They had 4 kids, Antoinette, Anthony, Frank and Columbus.

Any help and or direction is be appreciated.

Tony
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Naturlization records

Post by johnnyonthespot »

I suggest you begin by placing an order with the National Archives using the information you have available and see what turns up. NARA responds quickly, often within a week, and will not charge you if they do not locate a record. The only downside to NARA is that, for most of the US, they only hold naturalization records from the federal courts and not from state or county courts. Still, it is definitely worth a shot.

To place a document order, start here https://eservices.archives.gov/orderonl ... chives.gov and go ahead and create an account on the right. Next, click "Order Reproductions" and then "Immigration & Naturalization Records"

When completing the order form, you may encounter fields which demand you enter something even though you don't have the information available; just put X's or 9's in those fields and continue.

Note: if they do have the records, you are going to want to request the "Certified Paper Copy" which will cost you a total of $22.50 (assuming this is about jus sanguinis citizenship).

Note also: the correct spelling of your surname is more than likely "Di Vito" and quite possibly "De Vito". It is almost certainly not "Divito". :)
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
5zoe16
Rookie
Rookie

Post by 5zoe16 »

Thank you.
5zoe16
Rookie
Rookie

Post by 5zoe16 »

Your help is appreciated. I have written requesting records. Hopefully there will be a date of their naturalization. We are now attempting to locate GParents birth, baptism records. Having trouble in locating info at the village level ( di Bella Basiliacata, Potenza). I am thinking of contacting a village official and request to visit the archives, in both Bella and Potenza. Have you attempted going this route before? Any suggestions are appreciated. It seems like some birth records are missing at the village level.