How to read Italian Birth Certificates from the 1800s

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
RobertAldo

How to read Italian Birth Certificates from the 1800s

Post by RobertAldo »

I have obtained a number of birth records from the 1860s from microfilm for the community of Torella dei Lombardi. They all appear to say pretty much the same thing, but I have a hard time reading what they say. This is partly because I can't read the handwriting and partly because I don't understand enough Italian. I am pretty sure I understand some of it, but not enough.

I tried to attach a pdf of one of the clearer birth records, but I am not allowed to attach a pdf file. I will try to figure out a way to attach a file later. If I can attach it, or if you can tell me how I can get it to you, can someone translate it for me or tell me where I can find a resource to help me translate it into English? I would appreciate any help I can get.
maestra36
Master
Master

Re: How to read Italian Birth Certificates from the 1800s

Post by maestra36 »

Others on this forum have been able to upload copies of their documents using programs such as photobucket.com or imageshack.com

Also, you may find a book called Italian Genealogical Records by Trafford R. Cole helpful in trying to translate your documents. In his book, there are are sample records of all types and translations. Just so you know though, even those of us who have spent many years deciphering the old script still, at times, have problems reading these records, but a book such as his may help you get started.

Anyway, if you can upload the images using one of the programs I mentioned, we will do our best to help you understand what is written in the records you found.
RobertAldo

Post by RobertAldo »

Thank you for the response. I would first like to try uploading the file. I will try to get one of the two types of software you mentioned. Once I do, will it be obvious how to upload the file? It wouldn't let me upload pdf. Do you think I need to try converting the file to some other format? Do you know what kinds of formats are acceptable for uplaod? I have been trying to figure this out through the FAQs but I can't find it.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

There is a companion book Discovering Your Italian Ancestors by Lynne Nelson for the microfilms housed at the Mormon family sarch libraries and should be equally helpful for the microfilms you dealing with in view of the filming of the same records for the Mormon church people as well. =Peter=
~Peter~
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Robert
I myself have never uploaded any documents to the forum, but possibly the following instructions for imageshack.com will be of help to you (posted on this forum by Tessa78):

Go to www.imageshack.com
Click browse to open your file
Click Upload
When it has uploaded, copy the "direct code link" and paste it into your post...
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Maestra this image shack thing sounds like a CIA operation!! Is it one of those VOILA! things or do you have to cook, pour,paste and boil?? =Peter=
~Peter~
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Very funny, Peter. I doubt it's that complicated since a lot of people on this forum have managed to upload their documents. Since I do all my own translation work, I just have never had the need to try to use one of those programs, so I really can't say what is or is not involved in using them.
Peg
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Hi Peg and Peter :-)

Peter~ there are actually fewer steps than brushing your teeth! :-)

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

RobertAldo wrote:Thank you for the response. I would first like to try uploading the file. I will try to get one of the two types of software you mentioned.[ Once I do, will it be obvious how to upload the file? It wouldn't let me upload pdf. Do you think I need to try converting the file to some other format? Do you know what kinds of formats are acceptable for uplaod? I have been trying to figure this out through the FAQs but I can't find it.
The programs that Peg suggested are available for free on the net...

Just type the www.imageshack.com and follow the directions that Peg (maestra) gave you...

I have had success with .jpg format...

If you still have difficulty...send me the file in a Private Message (the button on the bottom left of my post, and I'll upload it for you so everyone here can pitch in with the translation. :-D

T.
RobertAldo

Post by RobertAldo »

I figured out how to convert the file to JPG. When I tried to attach it to my message it then told me that the file size was too big. It says the limit is 256k. Earlier today it told me the limit was 2mb. If you click the link in the area where you add attachments ("Allowed Extensions and Sizes") it says there is no size limit. Now I am confused. Can anybody help me with this?
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

Robert, Robert, Robert. Don't convert anything. Just go to imageshack.com.

The page that opens says upload. There is a word "browse", click on that to browse in your computer for the file you want to upload (that is, if you have scanned it into your computer).

When it uploads whatever document you choose, a popup appears, click on the "direct link", copy that link.

When you reply in your topic type what you want to know, leave a line, then paste that link you copied into your post.

You can preview what you post to check that the document is readable then submit the post.

Hope it helps. It really not difficult.

lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Libees
Thank you for giving Robert such a detailed explanation of how to upload his documents.
Peg
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Is there an idiots website for this image shack thingy?? I mean how do you click "browse" and where is it? =Peter=
~Peter~
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

Peter, that page comes up when you enter "imageshack.com". Give it a try. It really has become quite easy. Even us old folks can do it.

lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

lilbees wrote: Just go to imageshack.com.

The page that opens says upload. There is a word "browse", click on that to browse in your computer for the file you want to upload (that is, if you have scanned it into your computer).

lilbees
:wink: