Beware in Texas...marriage license not good enough for Citiz

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
johnlabarbera
Veteran
Veteran

Beware in Texas...marriage license not good enough for Citiz

Post by johnlabarbera »

After many many months of doing what I thought were all the right things...and waiting many many months for the Italian Consulate in Houston to finally look at my paperwork...they concluded...that they needed a certified copy of the marriage license application for me and my parents, along with the apostille...why? Because it shows the birth place and dates of the marrying parties, which the marriage license does not.

In Texas, they no longer require the county to keep the marriage application past 60 days. And the State of Texas does not issue the marriage application any longer, instead they issue a letter of verification. And only for marriages that occur after 1966.

So...my marriage license was issued in Nueces County in 1986, they do not have the application any longer. So I requested a letter of verification from Texas and asked they be sure to include the info required. My fingers are crossed.

My parents license was issued in Jefferson County, it appears they do still have the application on file so we may get lucky there as they were married in 1957, before the 1966 cutoff.

Be sure to make sure you can get these documents before you start your quest...in Texas
johnlabarbera
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Beware in Texas...marriage license not good enough for C

Post by johnlabarbera »

So I could not get the official documents I needed from the State or County so I drafted a letter stating that the birth certificates of my parrents and the marriage license of my parents were for the same people. I had the letter notarized. I then sent the notarized letter to the State to get apostille, they will apostille a notarized document. The Consulate says this will be fine.
jbp1966
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jbp1966 »

I'm in the same situation. I need a copy of my Marriage License Application. Did the consulate accept the notarized and apostilled letter you drafted?

Thanks,

jbp
johnlabarbera
Veteran
Veteran

Post by johnlabarbera »

I just received notice today that I am now recognized as an Italian citizen!!!! So yes it worked!!!
jbp1966
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jbp1966 »

Fantastic news for you! Glad you got your citizenship! Thanks for the information.

-jbp
jbp1966
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jbp1966 »

I got lucky - Harris County retains Marriage License Applications on film! I just returned from the county clerks office and was able to get a copy of my Marriage License Application! Apostille and translations are next!