looking for company to do some research in Sicily (PA, ME)

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Roccella
Rookie
Rookie

looking for company to do some research in Sicily (PA, ME)

Post by Roccella »

I am looking for a company to do some genealogical research for me in Sicily. It should be pretty straightforward, this is just for genealogical purposes and not for citizenship (already did that)... but I do need a company that is reliable and that can stick to a deadline.

Anybody have any recommendations? I just am trying to fill out the family tree a few generations back, starting with an Italian ancestor with a known birth date and place in Sicily.
Romano1970
Master
Master

Re: looking for company to do some research in Sicily (PA, M

Post by Romano1970 »

Just as an advisory....if you go with a full time genealogist, you may be spending a great deal of money.

You may be able to find what you are looking for here on this forum.
As an example I started here two years back and withing two weeks time, the very knowledgable people here were able to find multiple documents for me and within three months after joining I was in touch with living relatives in Sicily. I now have records going back to the early 1800s.

Try your luck and post some information. You wont be sorry.
Michael Romano

Chi va piano va sano e va lontano

Those who go slowly, go safely and go far

Looking for family history in Piazza Armerina, Aidone, and Musomelli Sicily.
Names researching: Romano, Nigrelli, Ristagno, Piazza Maida Triolo.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Go to http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... earch.html

Once you gfive it a read and know about Italian genealogy then you can go to http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tters.html

If you want to locate current relative, if any then go to www.paginebianche.it and put in the surname inthe first liune, the town of origin inthe second line and click CERCA sending any or all a copy of a form letter to a potential relative (see form letters).

Youmight also want to rent out any micorffilms of the vital records for the town of origin in Siciuly from the Mormon church familyhistory library at www.familysearch.org for about $5.00 which may show alkl BMD in your family back to 1820. =Haved fun doing it yourself! =Peter=
~Peter~
Roccella
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Roccella »

Thanks! I have been trying to do some myself, but my ancestors came from a town which had it's pre-1901 records destroyed according to the Anagrafe, so it just seems so overwhelming and complicated to try the church records. I have two small kids so time is at a premium.

I will check out these resources and see what I can do!
Roccella
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Roccella »

Ok, so here is the info. I sucessfully submitted an app for jus sanguinis for the other side of my family, and in doing so found out quite a bit about this side. I am trying to research the genealogy of the other italian side just to have as much information as possible, especially now that we are getting out Italian citizenship recognized, and plan to spend time in Italy.

I am looking for information on the follow immigrant ancestors. I already know what ship they came over on, and when they came over, etc. I am looking to extend the family tree back in Italy (would like to find living relatives, we do know a few).

GGM Concettina Inviso, born in Valledolmo, Palermo, Sicily, 16 Dec 1884. Concetta's mother's name was Marian (Marianna?) LaDuca. Father's name is unknown Inviso.

GGF Paolo Oglialoro, born 07 Sept 1876 in Leonforte, Enna, Sicily. Paolo's mother's name was Giuseppina Chille and his father's name was Michele Oglialoro. Michele Oglialoro did have a second wife Vincenza Musumesi.

I can't find their exact marriage date, but I believe it was in 1889 or 1900 because their first child was born in Palermo in 1900.

I am awaiting a reply from the commune of Valledolmo, but was told Leonforte's records pre-1901 have been lost, according to their Anagrafe.