Castellano, Salvatore -- from Positano, Salerno

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
lngrid

Castellano, Salvatore -- from Positano, Salerno

Post by lngrid »

I'm searching for information on Salvatore Castellano (born about 1859) and his family. He's my friend's great-grandfather. His son was born Luigi Castellano in New York City May 22, 1905. Luigi's birth certificate says he was the eighth of eight living children. His father was 47 and his mother was 37 years old at his birth. The mother's name on the birth certificate is Rosa Connovaccio, but the name of her parents on her death certificate is Antonio Connavaccuole and Camela Di Page. It is dated Nov 4, 1918 and gives her age as 46, saying she had been in the country 25 years. I found Salvatore in the 1920 U.S. federal census in the 14th ward of Manhattan where he says he immigrated in 1887. His son, Nicolo, says he immigrated in 1893, which would have been the same year his mother came over, according to the death certificate. The story in the family is that Salvatore came from Positano in Salerno. Supposedly Salvatore remarried at 73 in Positano to a 27-year-old. Either Salvatore or his father was a ship's captain. I have a note to this effect, but I'm not sure exactly what position in the family the writer holds. My friend has a photo of Positano given to her by her father.

We've received fantastic help finding Moses Pate. We would be so grateful for any help offered here, too.

Appologies if this reads strangely. We are having an extreme storm where I live and I have to type hastily before logging off.
misbris
Master
Master

Re: Castellano, Salvatore -- from Positano, Salerno

Post by misbris »

Here is a 1924 manifest for a Salvatore Castellano, about the right age, widower, previously living in NYC. (Perhaps the trip where he met the new wife) :wink:

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0008

p2
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0008
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

If you look at how this name is mangled in Ellis Island records, you would not believe it!!!!! 8O

However, this is the name in Positano, and other parts of Campania.

Cannavacciuolo
lngrid

Post by lngrid »

Thank you so much, misbris. I had no idea the name was mangled like that!
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi, here the 1900 census:

1900 United States Federal Census
about Salvador Castelano
Name: Salvador Castelano
[Salander Castelan]
Home in 1900: Manhattan, New York, New York
Birth Date: Jan 1858

Birthplace: Italy
Race: White
Immigration Year: 1894
Relationship to Head of House: Head
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Birthplace: Italy
Spouse's name: Rosie
Marriage Year: 1884

Marital Status: Married
Years Married: 16
Residence : New York City, New York, New York
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Salvador Castelano 42
Rosie Castelano 31 b. feb 1869 IT
Nicolaus Castelano 14 b. jan 1886 IT
Jenny Castelano 10 b. feb 1890 IT
Annie Castelano 4 b. May 1896 NY ( born as Clementina Castellano in the 15 Jun 1895-Manhattan, NY)
Tony Castelano 3 b. Mar 1897 NY
Frank Castelano 1 b. May 1899 NY

1910 United States Federal Census about Salratore Eastellan
Name: Salratore Eastellan
[Salvatore Castellano]
Age in 1910: 52
Estimated birth year: abt 1858
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Spouse's name: Rose
Home in 1910: Manhattan Ward 19, New York, New York
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Year of Immigration: 1892
Neighbors: View others on page

Household Members: Name Age
Salratore Eastellan
Rose Eastellan
Nicola Eastellan
Annie Eastellan
Anton Eastellan
Frank Eastellan
Joseph Eastellan
Thomas Eastellan
Louis Eastellan

it is the correct family??
regards,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
fishing

Post by fishing »

lngrid wrote:I'm searching for information on Salvatore Castellano (born about 1859) and his family. He's my friend's great-grandfather. His son was born Luigi Castellano in New York City May 22, 1905. Luigi's birth certificate says he was the eighth of eight living children. His father was 47 and his mother was 37 years old at his birth. The mother's name on the birth certificate is Rosa Connovaccio, but the name of her parents on her death certificate is Antonio Connavaccuole and Camela Di Page. It is dated Nov 4, 1918 and gives her age as 46, saying she had been in the country 25 years. I found Salvatore in the 1920 U.S. federal census in the 14th ward of Manhattan where he says he immigrated in 1887. His son, Nicolo, says he immigrated in 1893, which would have been the same year his mother came over, according to the death certificate. The story in the family is that Salvatore came from Positano in Salerno. Supposedly Salvatore remarried at 73 in Positano to a 27-year-old. Either Salvatore or his father was a ship's captain. I have a note to this effect, but I'm not sure exactly what position in the family the writer holds. My friend has a photo of Positano given to her by her father.

We've received fantastic help finding Moses Pate. We would be so grateful for any help offered here, too.

Appologies if this reads strangely. We are having an extreme storm where I live and I have to type hastily before logging off.