Accessing towns in Italy via public transport

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
kmaldo

Accessing towns in Italy via public transport

Post by kmaldo »

Thanks to several members of this site, I have learned where my GGFs were from - Monte San Giovanni Campana (near Frosinone) and Torella dei Lombardi (near Avellino).

I am thinking of visiting them soon but am not sure if I'd need to rent a car, which of course in Italy is very expensive. I don't at all mind taking trains/buses, and have tried to check out local bus schedules and the like on the internet but they are somewhat confusing. Torella in particular seems a bit remote - I can get a bus from Naples to Avellino without problem but I'm not so sure about a connection to Torella. (By contrast it appears that I could even take a cab from Frosinone to Monte San Giovanni if need be?)

I'm wondering if anyone knows the best online resources for this type of inquiry, or has any other suggestions.

Thank you!
misbris
Master
Master

Re: Accessing towns in Italy via public transport

Post by misbris »

It has been a few years since I traveled to Italy, but I found travel by train easy and reasonable. I don't know how it is today. I got a great deal of helpful info from the Italian Tourist Board. Here is a link. I hope it helps.

http://www.enit.it/default.asp?Lang=UK
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

I would have written a letter to the Mayors office in either town and ask them for their advice as to the best way to get to their towns. www.comuni.it for their names and possible e-mail. =Peter=
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

I would have written a letter or possibly e-mail to the Mayor or town council asking them for their advice on travel to their towns www.comuni.it would give you names. =Peter=
Poipuo4
Elite
Elite

Post by Poipuo4 »

The Frommers and Tripadvisor web sites have a wealth of this type of travel related advice: www.frommers.com and www.tripadvisor.com

We rented a car to reach the more remote towns in Foggia and Benevento. Driving in Rome is one story, but driving in the more remote towns is not as harrowing, although some towns are walled with narrow stone lanes and quite difficult to get a car through!
http://www.celenzaheritage.com

dedicated to the people of Celenza Valfortore, Province of Foggia
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

The websites look helpful but you cannot get invitations to meet and dine by reading a book can you? =Peter=
Poipuo4
Elite
Elite

Post by Poipuo4 »

I have personally used www.tripadvisor.com to network with locals. Just access the forum of your choice. The people are quite friendly. Some boards are more active than others, however, I have had several pleasant "meet and greets" by networking on that site.
http://www.celenzaheritage.com

dedicated to the people of Celenza Valfortore, Province of Foggia
Gina501
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Gina501 »

Hi Poipu. Thanks for that website. I have heard good things about it and have always wanted to try it. You always have such interesting things to say on this board and so I trust your opinion. I will go to tripadvisor.com now! Thanks again.
Gina
Searching for surnames Ignazio, Graziano, Trella, Del Principe, Biani, Subrizi, Della Valle

http://ignaziogenealogy.com
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

PeterTimber wrote:The websites look helpful but you cannot get invitations to meet and dine by reading a book can you? =Peter=
I guess this could be true but it all depends on what a person is after, no? I traveled by train while in Italy, and by car. Plus, between family or the locals, I found that I met a lot of people..some very important. Churches that were normally closed for whatever reason were opened for us when word got out that we traveled so far to see it.

We met the mayor..we met the people, we lived the culture. It was an amazing experience.

If I'm not mistaken, Poipuo4, you travel quite frequently, correct? I think trying out the site might be a good idea. If you don't try, you won't know if its right for you.

Its all about opinions here, and choices. You have been given a few so see what works for you and have fun with it. And smile.. :D

Good night all...
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

Monte San Giovanni was part of the Papal States and there are no civil records prior to 1873. Church records exist but there are gaps in some of the parishes. Monte San Giovanni is a beautiful town with narrow, steep streets and you cannot take a car inside the old part of town where the church and city hall are located.
You can take the train to Frosinone then take a bus. You might have to change buses. You can see photos on my website.
Ann Tatangelo
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.