Need help with occupation

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Joannsalvo
Elite
Elite

Need help with occupation

Post by Joannsalvo »

Hi,
I need help with the profession of Vincenzo Silvestro.

Many thanks,
Joann
Attachments
1828 birth Domenico Silvestro page 01.jpg
mmogno
Master
Master

Re: Need help with occupation

Post by mmogno »

A link, please?
Industriero(?)
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?” 🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦 🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Here's the link to the record:

Page 81 of 112
https://antenati.cultura.gov.it/ark:/12 ... 61/04abM7R

Not completely sure what it is. I think it has been mispelt in the record and that it should maybe read industreirosi - an industrialist or someone involved in industry but not sure. Now that we have a clearer image, hopefully it will be easier to decipher.

Angela
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Joannsalvo wrote: 12 Jan 2023, 16:05 Hi,
I need help with the profession of Vincenzo Silvestro.

Many thanks,
Joann
Joann the word is "industrioso" is a word used for a certain period in southern Italy on the civil records, and this word does not mean a well-defined profession, because it expressly refers to doing whatever as long as it is paid, any work of little importance. All available small jobs that the person is able to do in order to earn something and be able to survive. From going to the well to get water, or carrying parcels, or delivering letters, or **SPAM** junk, or looking after the livestock for a short time, or cleaning stables, clearing out attics, etc. All temporary jobs whose characteristic was the extreme precariousness and a no necessary professionalism or craftsmanship.
In Italy we currently say "one who gets busy" that is a person who, despite lacking in professionalism, manages to do any type of job to survive.

suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Joannsalvo
Elite
Elite

Post by Joannsalvo »

Thank you !!!