Guarente

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
stephyb

Guarente

Post by stephyb »

My great grandfather is Frank Guarente( trumpet player), does anyone know anything about his place of birth? Corsican decent I believe right?
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Re: Guarente

Post by nuccia »

edit
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

http://www.garlic.com/~tgracyk/georgians.html

Please see second paragraph... gotta run!

Maria
lalberogenealogico
Rookie
Rookie

Post by lalberogenealogico »

Frank Guarente was born in Montemiletto (AV) and after he emigrated to USA with his family. I-m very proud he was born in my village.

Gaetano Petrillo
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

More...
Francesco Saverio Guarente was born at Montemiletto in Southern Italy on October 5, 1893. He apparently had a formal musical education before emigrating to the United States in 1910 to join one of his brothers in Allentown, PA.
Info came from this site....

Frank Guarente Biography
-----------------------------

A possibility...? This record mentions Angelo, father in Italy as next of kin...

Francesco would would be joining his brother Giuseppe...

First Name: Francesco
Last Name: Guarente
Ethnicity: Italian, South
Last Place of Residence: S. Martino, Italy
Date of Arrival: May 04, 1911
Age at Arrival: 18y Gender: M Marital Status: S
Ship of Travel: Europa
Port of Departure: Napoli
Manifest Line Number: 0019

Problem here is that he was from S. Martino...on his way to Mariton, NY....

Page 1

Page 2

From San Martino to Montemiletto

--------------------------------------------

Montemiletto city
info

---------------------------------------

First Name: Frank
Last Name: Guarente
Ethnicity:
Last Place of Residence: Philadelphia, PA
Date of Arrival: Aug 17, 1923
Age at Arrival: 29 Gender: M Marital Status: S
Ship of Travel: Aquitania
Port of Departure: Cherbourg, France
Manifest Line Number: 0024

1924 ship record

--------------------------------

maria
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

lalberogenealogico wrote:Frank Guarente was born in Montemiletto (AV) and after he emigrated to USA with his family. I-m very proud he was born in my village.

Gaetano Petrillo
ciao Gaetano, yes!!!

Frank Guarente
Birth Name: Francesco Saverio Guarente
Genre: Vocal Music
Active: teens, '20s, '30s
Instrument: Trumpet

........Francesco Saverio Guarente was born at Montemiletto in Southern Italy on October 5, 1893. He apparently had a formal musical education before emigrating to the United States in 1910 to join one of his brothers in Allentown, PA............etc..
ship's manifest.
Francesco Saverio Guarente father Giovanni in Montemilettopag 1
joining Alfredo brother in Phila pag 2
Alfredo probable ship's manifest

regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
lalberogenealogico
Rookie
Rookie

Post by lalberogenealogico »

stephyb wrote:My great grandfather is Frank Guarente (trumpet player), does anyone know anything about his place of birth? Corsican decent I believe right?
Dear stephyb, you are lucky because you have a famous trumpet player in your family. Where are you from?

Gaetano Petrillo
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Hi stephyb,

You may have this record, but here is a link to your great, grandfather's WWI Draft Registration Card.

Frank Rosarie Guarente
b. 10/5/1893 Montemilleto, Italy
Occu: Musician @ Saenger (sp?) Amusement Co.
Residence: New Orleans,LA

http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/977/ ... wwi7en.jpg

Lets us know if you want any other US records and/or if you want information to trace his family in Montemilleto.

Hope it helps.

jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
tchiarico

Post by tchiarico »

stephyb wrote:My great grandfather is Frank Guarente( trumpet player), does anyone know anything about his place of birth? Corsican decent I believe right?

Frank Guarente was my father's first cousin. His father, Giovanni Vincenzo Guarente, was an older brother to my grandmother, Silvia Mariangiela Guarente.

Francesco Saverio Guarente (aka Frank Guarente) married Immacolata Maria Concetta Coletti 30 Jun 1924 in Montemiletto, Italy. They produced two children (that I'm aware of), Francesco (Frank Jr.) and Lina.

As the great grandchild of Frank Guarente (the jazz musician), then you are the grandchild of either Frank Jr. or Lina. I've been trying to track Frank Jr. and Lina for some time in hopes of exchanging information that might fill in some holes I have in my research.

I do, however, have quite a bit of information on the Guarente family from Montemiletto. Please contact me and we can compare genealogy notes.

BTW, I've seen the article that says Frank is of Corsican descent. That may eventually prove true if we research back far enough; however, he was born in Montemiletto to parents who were born in Montemiletto to parents who were born in Montemiletto. Unfortunately, I've not been able to locate anyone with the Guarente name still living in Montemiletto.
tchiarico
QNPoohBear

Post by QNPoohBear »

My great-great grandmother was his wet nurse! He was born in Montimiletto, Avellino. He moved to NY but never forgot my great-great grandmother and her family. He had two children, a son died in service and a daughter, Lena who was about the same age as my great-aunt (b. 1928). My grandmother wants to know if Lena is still living. She had a photo of Lena as a child and pulled it out recently and got to reminiscing. Are you, the original poster, Lena's grandson? If she's still living and mentally well, please ask her if she remembers Rita Censale and the Censale family of Fitchburg, MA. Maybe their restrauant, La Conca D'oro might ring a bell.
tchiarico

Post by tchiarico »

Hi QNPoohBear,
Thanks for responding to my posting. I wasn't aware Frank Jr. died during WWII. I thought he went into show business. In fact family rumor has it that he produced Mad, Mad, Mad World (however many years ago that was). I have a picture from a Guarente cousin allegedly showing Frank Jr. with her granddad, Alfredo Guarente. Frank Sr. (jazz musician) died in 1942. Perhaps he's the Frank your grandmother believes died during the war years.

Do you happen to know whether Lena ever married and, if so, what her married name might be? I'm sure both Frank Jr. and Lena resided in New York at times in their lives. They lived there as youngsters and would have strong connections to the area -- not to mention the proximity to family living in Pennsylvania and Massachusetts.

It seems to me the Guarente family wasn't much for keeping in touch. My grandmother was the youngest of 10 children and Giovanni (Frank Sr.'s father) was her oldest brother, i.e., the 1st born of the 10 children. There appears to be sporadic family interaction, but familial closeness seems only to occur with the children who were close in age. So far as I know, my dad and his sister, Mary, knew their cousin, Frank Sr. (jazz musician), but they were only casual friends.

As for the spelling of Lena, I got the Lina spelling from a census return, so it's very possible she spelled her name Lena and the census taker wrote Lina. Happens all the time.

I would sure appreciate knowing any information your grandmother and great aunt might have regarding the Frank Guarente family. They might have some info that would lead me to finding Frank or Lena or their children.

Thanks again for responding to my post.
tchiarico
QNPoohBear

Post by QNPoohBear »

If Lina's name is spelled Lina... then she COULD have been named after my great-great grandmother, whose name was Pasqualina, known as Lina. My grandmother is 94, so her memory isn't the best and she could totally have her facts mixed up. I have to remember e-mail my great-aunt and see what SHE remembers.
Enrico_Borsetti

Post by Enrico_Borsetti »

To stephyb:
can you kindly contact me off list?
I'd like to be in touch with Guarente's sons if still alive, I assume his wife Concetta Coletti is dead by years. If I'm not wrong she lived in Brooklyn during the 70's/80's.

Bestest,
Enrico Borsetti
stephyb

Post by stephyb »

Hello, I totally forgot about this website, to answer some questions herFranks daughter is Lena, she had 4 children and was married to Mario Aimetti.

They lived in brooklyn along with my great grandmother (franks wife)
Mmeltsch

Post by Mmeltsch »

We may be related he was my great grandfathers brother. He was born in Allentown pa. I believe our family is from around Naples Italy.