records of no naturalization

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Maestranzi

records of no naturalization

Post by Maestranzi »

I need to get a document saying my great grandfather was never naturalized, which he was not, in order to complete my paperwork for a dual citizenship in Italy. The only place that i know of that can supply this document is the INS (FOIA). However, I need to somehow get proof of this by the end of the summer. I was told that applications (the G-639 form I sent in) are taking about 12 Months to finally be answered. 12 months is ridiculous. Does anyone know how I could speed up this process, or of anywhere else I could go to be able to prove in writing that my great grandfather was never naturalized? Thank you.
annasacchetti

Re: records of no naturalization

Post by annasacchetti »

Did you check with both the state and federal archives? I thought the same thing when the federal archives could not find him, but then I contacted the state archives and they had all of the info I needed. Check that out..
Maestranzi

Post by Maestranzi »

yes, i checked both the federal and state archives in Chicago, Il where he lived when he came to the U.S. Neither of them had any record of naturalization of him, and neither said they could supply any kind of document of no naturalization. "They said I had to go to the INS for that.
annasacchetti

Post by annasacchetti »

Thats too bad. Before I checked with the state courts in Massachusetts, the federal archives contact I had typed up a full statement showing no record for my great-grandfather. I guess it all depends on who you deal with. Press them a bit more and maybe they will type up a statement for you.

Good luck..
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

I think the reason you're having a problem with this is that the state archives only have records for that particular region, and the U.S. is a big country.

Anna probably got lucky, but at best, all the State Archives can do is confirm that there are no naturalization records locally. Most consulates would probably not consider this sufficient evidence of non-naturalization. Unfortunately, I think you're stuck waiting for the FOIA confirmation, and as you note, this can take a long time.

Is there any reason for the rush? Will you be in Italy by the end of the summer? Maybe there are some interim measures you can take while you wait for the paperwork to come through. Remember, too, that once the papers are submitted to the consulate, you still probably will have to wait a while for citizenship, so an alternate plan will probably be needed in any case.
Fivenations

Post by Fivenations »

http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/Foru ... =4755.html
Reply to topic

Hi there

Do you know Jim Caolo? He may be able to help you, Email me if you want more details.

I'm a UK based Maestranzi - father from Giustino - chances are we may know eather via Jim's website so you may already have contacted him. I have family (3rd cousins) in Chicago so we may even be related!

Best of luck.
Macossay

Post by Macossay »

If your grandfather immigrated after 1906, then there is no problem. Write a letter to the USCIS asking for a record search and explaining that he was never naturalized. Include a copy of his birth certificate and an FOIA form. The address is:
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
Attn: Records Service Branch
111 Massachusetts Avenue NW 4th Floor
Washington, DC 20529
It doesn't take 12 months. I sent mine in on Feb 2nd and had the letter on March 10th. The letter is already certified.

If your grandfather immigrated before 1906, you must ALSO request one from the National Archives for the region (s) where he lived. You can find a list of the various NARA regional offices on their website. They will send you a separate letter, along with instructions for sending it to Washington to get it certified. In my case it only took 2 weeks to get the letter, but I've been waiting three months for the certification.
johnmilano
Rookie
Rookie

Post by johnmilano »

Maestranzi,

see my post at:
http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/Foru ... rt=15.html

There should be (IS) documentation on your great grandfather
being naturalized, it will be together with his father, on your
great great grandfathers application, since your great grandfather
was only a minor at the time. So there will (should)
be a naturalization record found for him, but it will be
under your great great grandfather's application.
So your great grandfather lost his italian citizenship as a minor,
he has not technically been Italian since.

Also, your best bet is FOIA, since your great great grandfather
and great gandfather's naturalization took place before 1906.
Also, keep in mind that they might have resided in Ill., but
may have applied for US citizenship somewhere else (it took
around two years to attain citizenship. So the file could be
elsewhere. and keep in mind that your great grandfather's
documentation of naturalization will be in your great great
gandfather's document.