Process for Italian Citizenship

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
donnawright
Elite
Elite

Process for Italian Citizenship

Post by donnawright »

It has been awhile since I read posts about the dual citizenship, and back a a year or so ago there were a lot of posts including about the ability to gain citizenship through the mother. I am pretty sure I qualify since I was born in 1949 and fall within the birth year requirement to apply through my mother. I know I have some work to do and need to find a source of the A-Z of it all. My immediate question is: If I get started by requesting my GFs naturalization record (which I expect to be a no-record situation), is there a time frame that must be adhered to from start to finish - or if not, I have to start over, or some other such penalty?
Looking for Biagianti, Modesti & Vincenti in Tuscany and Tomaino, Curcio, Mazza, & Rizzo in Calabria
Italia1963
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Process for Italian Citizenship

Post by Italia1963 »

Depending on the Consulate you would be going through it may be a good idea to have all your documents prior to making your appointment. I am going through the NYC Consulate and when I made my appt. I had about 85 percent of my documents and have been spending the year up to the appt dealing with corrections. I originally thought that the year long wait was way too long but now am grateful that I had this time since I had to go through 2 different state courts to obtain everything to the Consulate's liking.
JJ313
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JJ313 »

There is no timetable for the process in that once you have a document it will not expire. Appointments on the other hand do vary as Italia1963 points out. At some consulates the wait time is short, several weeks to a few months, at others like NY the wait can be a year or more. If you don't have the required documents for your appointment the consulate can have you schedule another appointment which can cost you a year.
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Be sure, too, to do a search of county records if you are certain that your gf never naturalized. You will probably also need certified census records that identify your gf as an alien. These can be obtained through NARA.
marksman23

Post by marksman23 »

Make an appt to get all the docs together then probably back for another appt. to submit docs.
donnawright wrote:It has been awhile since I read posts about the dual citizenship, and back a a year or so ago there were a lot of posts including about the ability to gain citizenship through the mother. I am pretty sure I qualify since I was born in 1949 and fall within the birth year requirement to apply through my mother. I know I have some work to do and need to find a source of the A-Z of it all. My immediate question is: If I get started by requesting my GFs naturalization record (which I expect to be a no-record situation), is there a time frame that must be adhered to from start to finish - or if not, I have to start over, or some other such penalty?