Sicily

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
Nikki4189

Sicily

Post by Nikki4189 »

I was wondering if you would be able to answer this question for me.
I found this online...

Founded in 1752 by Giuseppe Emanuele Ventimiglia, the town "BELMONTE MEZZAGNO" was burned down in 1848 by the Bourbons in order to punish the inhabitants for their part in the revolutionary uprisings.

I was wondering if the town and the people all its people were wiped out.
If not did the people leave and come back?
Were they taken by surprise?
Did they leave, never came back and new people came and settled?
Also I noticed it was founded in 1752 and therefore semi fairly new. So the people from Belmonte Mezzagno..were did they come from before that?
PippoM
Master
Master

Re: Sicily

Post by PippoM »

Hi Nikki,
you can try this:

http://www.comune.belmonte.pa.it/

the official site of the Commune.
On the right you can click "la città", and it will take you to a short description of the story of the town (in Italian).
If you can't read Italian, I'll tell you what I understand: a few people were killed, the others stayed there, but they had to face a poor life, and from them on they hated the Bourbons, so they sustained Garibaldi in his war of 1860 against the King of Naples and Sicily.

There also seems to be a Facebook page about "Storia di Belmonte Mezzagno", but now I can't see it, so I can't tell what it is about.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Sicily

Post by adelfio »

Heres another site just use your live translator( right mouse button) because its in italian
http://www.icventimiglia.it/storia.htm

Marty A
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty