will the commune respond and how long will it take?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

will the commune respond and how long will it take?

Post by sceaminmonkey »

I emailed to see if my birth certificate is registered because I am so impatient and the time they said it would take has passed. will napoli commune even respond? any thoughts idea etc...
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Re: will the commune respond and how long will it take?

Post by Italysearcher »

Why do you need to know?
If you ask for a certificate for passport purposes they will send you one. Otherwise they probably will not answer.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Post by sceaminmonkey »

Yes it's for my passport . I did not say in the email that's why I just said I need My birth certificate
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

You need to write in Italian, enclose an addressed envelope, state the reason you need it and provide some photo ID.
Ann Tatangelo
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
JavaisLife
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JavaisLife »

Monkey - I just called the Consulate for an update. I wanted to make sure they received the documents I dropped off. It's okay to call, if you have a reason too.

Marie
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Post by sceaminmonkey »

I finally worked up the balls to call . A Guy picked up I told him my situation Ns he asked my name. He hardly spoke English and hand trouble will spelling my last name. He then said I should write an email to the consulate. I said I write one a month ago and he said no and they always respond. He pretty much blew me off. At this appoint I'm actua,y pissed. I am a citizen it should not take so long and don't grab pretty much every important document of my family history three generations back then be so loose about there where abouts!
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

I know you're eager to learn the status of your application and it's difficult to be patient with this slow-moving process, but you have no reason to be "pissed." This is the Italian Consulate, and you shouldn't be surprised that the person with whom you spoke is not totally fluent in English. He also may have had difficulty with your name because you probably spelled it with the English alphabet.

The consulate is inundated with applications for citizenship recognition, so unless there is a specific question, calls are probably unwelcome. Yes, you are a citizen, but don't expect to be treated as one until you are officially recognized; and, unfortunately, that depends totally on the consulate. Be patient; it will happen.
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Post by sceaminmonkey »

No he could spell. He spelled out the email for me in English . After I told him I sent one a month ago he said i am wrong they always check it and he did not hide the fact he was blowing me off not even a little . That's why I'm pissed. Who likes being blown off? I know the universe doesn't revolve around me . I wish they would have just told me it takes a year and send it with in that time and surprise me with 8 months.
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

The thing is there is really no way of knowing how long it will take even within the same consulate. Some people have waited only a few weeks; others have waited months only to discover that there is a problem in one of their documents that needs correction.

It's possible that you haven't received an answer to your e-mail because you are really just asking for an update on your status. If you have a specific question in terms of whether documents have been received, a confirmation of an appointment, a question about specific document requirements or other such issues, it is likely that you would have received an answer.

A question such as yours requires them to check through their files, and I don't think they like to do this. Ultimately, you will get a response from them, but it's better if you don't count the days.
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Post by sceaminmonkey »

the only reason I want to know is because I will be moving there this summer for a study abroad program and It is going to be possibly over the 90 days ( depending if I like it) And what I need to know is if I need to register with the commune in italy as a citizen living there and If I need to apply for a visa. I asked the gentleman that right away and thats when he started to blow me off. Dont get me wrong these folks are most likely processing thousands of applications a year and I am just another one of them. I just dont want to go there and find out I was suppose to do X and I did Y. And of course I want an update but not just to be updated. Also depending on if I am registered or not will affect the duration of my stay ( not that they should care) if I am eligible for insurance etc...
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Gotcha. Since you go to school nearby, why not just stop in and ask your question at the main desk. Maybe they can direct you to someone who can help.
kontessa
Elite
Elite

Post by kontessa »

No offense intended, but to be frank, perhaps your need to know hasn't yet reached a critical stage? When exactly does your school abroad program begin? Aren't the programs for a specific time period? Is a visa required to attend? Perhaps if you were to submit a copy of your official acceptance into the summer program, and a detailed description of your plans to remain in Italy to the consulate (copies of a lease, etc might help), you might get some advice about what you should do next. Merely suggesting that you might like to remain in Italy may not be enough of a concrete plan to warrant any additional action with your case.

Are you really planning to make an official change in your residence? If so, perhaps you could make an official declaration to the consulate, and maybe then they would try to expedite your case.

Or if you get really desperate, you could request that your case be transferred to your new comune in Italy once you arrive in country?

My opinion - wait until the end of April or the first week of May. Email the consulate with your concerns and concrete plans and ask for their assistance.
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Post by sceaminmonkey »

my program is associated with a university there. It is in blocks each about a month or so and there are 8 blocks in total and you can leave and come back and continue at any time. its a language and culture program. I doubt I would stay past three months but I would like to keep the option open. My only concern is what I am suppose to do. I let him know all of this information and then he said write an email. I don't want to go and find out I have to leave or something If I like it. Do you think I should call the offices that issues visas and say can I apply for one just in case? will they issue me a visa If I am unsure of how long I want to stay?
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

If you are in Italy less than 90 days you don't need to register. You won't be eligible for health care in those circumstances. You are young so buying health insurance should be a minor expense.
If you want to know if things are different for people who live in Italy, read my book!
If you are 'pissed' in America, I can't imagine you will enjoy living in Italy!
Ann Tatangelo
kontessa
Elite
Elite

Post by kontessa »

sceaminmonkey wrote:my program is associated with a university there. It is in blocks each about a month or so and there are 8 blocks in total and you can leave and come back and continue at any time. its a language and culture program. I doubt I would stay past three months but I would like to keep the option open. My only concern is what I am suppose to do. I let him know all of this information and then he said write an email. I don't want to go and find out I have to leave or something If I like it. Do you think I should call the offices that issues visas and say can I apply for one just in case? will they issue me a visa If I am unsure of how long I want to stay?
No offense intended (again), but to be frank: You have no concrete plans, and are asking what you are supposed to do. How should the consulate respond? I think that people understand that you would like the freedom to come and go as you please, but you have no concrete plan. You doubt that you'll stay past 3 months, but want the option to remain in Italy should you choose to. How should the consulate respond to your request when you don't really know yet what you're doing?

Calling the consulate and asking for a visa 'just in case' isn't likely to go over very well. You NEED a plan. Why not just call and make an appointment for a visa? If your letter arrives before your appointment, cancel. If not, then go to the appointment and request a visa, noting that you are waiting for your citizenship packet to be completed. Maybe then you'll receive the information about your case, and a visa won't be necessary. (Keep in mind the requirements for a study visa are probably posted on the consulate's webpage.)

Probably not a good idea to call the consulate with 'what if' scenarios. Write an email like the consular official asked you to do - it is always best to put things in writing.

Italysearcher made a great recommendation...read her book. If you're impatient with the consulate and think they're blowing you off, you'll lose your mind if/when you really do decide to try living in Italy.