Passport process?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
UpstateNY

Passport process?

Post by UpstateNY »

Can anyone outline the passport process from when you receive the letter that your have been registered in your commune? How to make an appointment, what you need to bring, how long it takes to receive the passport? Thanks in advance!
jcat
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Passport process?

Post by jcat »

Not sure about any of the other consulates,though in Miami,since last April you now need to go there to be fingerprinted,along with your citizenship papers,passport(US) ID......before last April you could mail in for your passport...
jamescatizoneitaliandualcitizenship.com
UpstateNY

Post by UpstateNY »

Sorry should have mentioned the NYC consulate as my consulate.
jcat
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jcat »

I'm not sure how NY issues passports,I was told to just come in,no appointments needed in Miami....
jamescatizoneitaliandualcitizenship.com
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

As recently as this past summer, NYC requires an appointment; I think because they only do fingerprinting on certain days or times.

You need your ID and your acceptance letter; it is a good idea to bring along your US passport as well, if you have one.

See this page for lots more information: http://www.consnewyork.esteri.it/Consol ... assaporti/

Passport photos: there is a machine located in the consulate's downstairs waiting room but you cannot be certain it will be operational. Definitely bring your own photos with you; my wife got hers at the local drugstore photo booth. If you are a AAA member, you can get one set of passport photos per year (?) at no charge from your local AAA ofice.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
UpstateNY

Post by UpstateNY »

Thanks Johnny, I thought I read somewhere about the photo requirements being some odd size? Is this true?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

UpstateNY wrote:Thanks Johnny, I thought I read somewhere about the photo requirements being some odd size? Is this true?
Honestly, I don't think it matters any longer - they just scan and digitize the photos anyway, so they can make them any size they want.

My wife just brought regular drugstore-type passport photos (as did I, if I recall correctly).
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)