Do I need to get new apostilles?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
beauac
Veteran
Veteran

Do I need to get new apostilles?

Post by beauac »

I have already got many apostilles for my documents but now I need to have many of them amended. What I am wondering is that once I get the amendments done can I take the old apostille and staple it to the new documents? Do I get new documents or do they change the documents I already have? The apostilles cost me $750 so I would like to re use them. Hope somebody knows what I am asking and can help.
JPMessina44
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Do I need to get new apostilles?

Post by JPMessina44 »

Negative....must get a new apostille. Once the seal is broken, as you probably noticed, there are staples and then one large staple holding all documents together (sometimes, at least NYC) has a gold ring looking lock, which once it is off, the apostille is void.

If you want, which I would not recommend, is taking them off and trying to line up the original staple with a new one, but it's got to be perfect...if not, and its noticed, it will void that document and will prob draw more attention to your others which will subsesquently be voided.....

This is at least what I was told by the consulate....and also my good buddy got rejected for doing the same thing....the notary and department of state are acknowledging the validity of the document....and old apostille would be an acknowledgement of the original document, now that it is tweaked or changed, they will need to acknowledge the validity of the changes made now.

Sorry man, I know it sucks because you spend so much time or money. Its not worth it to get to your hearing, be rejected and then have to circle back and get everything fresh again.
JavaisLife
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JavaisLife »

The apostilles are dated. When you get new documents. ... the new documents have - newer dates. You won't be able to use the old ones on the new ones. Even IF you manage to line them up accordingly. The dates will be wrong.

It sucks, I know - but it's just part of the process.
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Post by sceaminmonkey »

100% need new apostille's. sorry. dont think of it as a waste. had you known you need these amendments but came without apostilles the consulate would have blown you off anyway. consider it part of your investment!
JPMessina44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JPMessina44 »

^ agreed above....just get the new apostilles, sucky part of the process but necessary.

The risk just isn't worth it......
musaccosteve
Veteran
Veteran

Post by musaccosteve »

May I ask why it would cost $750 for certified copies of certificates with apostilles, that is birth, marriage, and birth certificates from the County Clerk's office? Am I missing something.

Thanks,
Steve
beauac wrote:I have already got many apostilles for my documents but now I need to have many of them amended. What I am wondering is that once I get the amendments done can I take the old apostille and staple it to the new documents? Do I get new documents or do they change the documents I already have? The apostilles cost me $750 so I would like to re use them. Hope somebody knows what I am asking and can help.
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

The most expensive apostille I had to get was $15. I understand that CT has upped the price to $20, but I'm not sure about this.
musaccosteve
Veteran
Veteran

Post by musaccosteve »

The most I paid was $19 for my mother's birth certificate from Los Angeles county... Costs for birth certificates in San Diego are the same.
mler wrote:The most expensive apostille I had to get was $15. I understand that CT has upped the price to $20, but I'm not sure about this.
priere
Rookie
Rookie

Post by priere »

mler wrote:The most expensive apostille I had to get was $15. I understand that CT has upped the price to $20, but I'm not sure about this.
CT is actually $40.00 to apostille a certificate.

If the poster got apostille 'service', which I've seen some translators offer and cost as much as $90 a certificate, that is what cost so much.
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Whoa! When I ordered one way back when, it was only $15. I guess they decided that the apostille is a money maker.

It's good to mention, though, that apostilles are easy to obtain; no need to pay for a service. In fact, the more you do on your own, the less expensive the process will be.