Can I check on Citiz. Status besides with the Consultate?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
mikedc
Rookie
Rookie

Can I check on Citiz. Status besides with the Consultate?

Post by mikedc »

Ok, so the person at the DC Consultate told me that it is too early to check on my Citizenship status (it has been 8 months). I'm really anxious to see where things stand. Is there somewhere in Italy that I can contact? My application is with Rome.

THANKS!

Mike
corrado
Elite
Elite

Re: Can I check on Citiz. Status besides with the Consultate

Post by corrado »

no
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

mikedc wrote:
My application is with Rome.
Actually, your application is with the DC embassy.

All indications are that the decision on jus sanguinis applications is made by the stato civile officer at the consulate/embassy where the application was submitted. If approved, the applicant's birth and marriage (if applicable) certificates are forwarded to the ancestral comune for registration. All other documents remain in the consulate/embassy's files.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Post by sceaminmonkey »

Just curious is your application through marriage or ancestry?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

sceaminmonkey wrote:Just curious is your application through marriage or ancestry?
When I wrote the earlier post I debated adding a disclaimer concerning the different way in which jus matrimonio cases are handled; as you can see, I decided against. :)

So, now I will add: the consulate's role in jus matrimonio cases is to ensure that the application is complete and in order and that the requisite €200 fee has been paid. The consulate then ships the entire package off to Rome (regardless of the ancestral comune of the "Italian" spouse). According to statute, Rome then has a full 2 years in which to investigate and issue its decision. Reports are that they tend to use most of that 2 year allowance...
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)