important ? re: naturalization certs and dual citizenship

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
vintagegamer
Veteran
Veteran

important ? re: naturalization certs and dual citizenship

Post by vintagegamer »

Hi all,

This weekend was a special one, in that I was "loaned" the original naturalization certificates for my great grandparents, so that I can get copies of them for the dual citizenship process!!

My question is, where do I take them to get copies that will be valid for the process? Can any notary copy them for me or is it more involved than that?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as my goal is to return them back by this coming weekend.

Thanks in advance,

Jim
Webmaster
'Run Squirrel Run!' Italian Heritage Site
www.giusvalla.blogspot.com
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: important ? re: naturalization certs and dual citizenshi

Post by VaDeb »

I would make a high resolution scan of the certs and have them printed on a laser printer. Now you have an excellent copy to provide to whomever validates the copy and do not have to depend on the quality of whatever copier they may have.

Sorry, I can't offer any advice on this part.

Debbie
vintagegamer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by vintagegamer »

Anyone else able to provide any info? I have to give these back this Saturday. I've scanned them but I know that whatever place does the citizenship paperwork is most likely not going to accept the copies I have, even though they are right off of the originals.
Webmaster
'Run Squirrel Run!' Italian Heritage Site
www.giusvalla.blogspot.com
scarnati

Post by scarnati »

The documents have to have an apostille (authentication) and translation to Italian. I don't know where you can get the apostille but if you check the site http://www.italiandualcitizenship.com/ you can find more info.
scarnati

Post by scarnati »

The documents have to have an apostille (authentication) and translation to Italian. I don't know where you can get the apostille but if you check the site http://www.italiandualcitizenship.com/ you can find more info.
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Jim,

You might want to put this on the Naturalization and Citizenship board. From what I have read the naturalization records are one thing that do not need translation or apostille, but I do not have much experience in this.

It would seem you would need someone with the authority to view the original cert and certify the copy. Perhaps whatever court issued the original documents could do this.

Debbie
Tamberino
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Tamberino »

You can't make a copy of the documents. You need to request a certified copy from Nara. Those usually don't need an apostille but it depends on which consulate you go to