Surname ASCOLI

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
raymo
Rookie
Rookie

Surname ASCOLI

Post by raymo »

Looking for historical information on ASCOLI surname & relatives, from/near town of Alcamo, Sicily. My gfather was MARIO ASCOLI, b1900 in Alcamo, came to NYC 1920, d1986. Do not know much about his family nor background aside from these few facts. Possible Arberesh (Italo-Albanian) or Italo-Greek history? Any info would be appreciated. Replies in English,Italian,Spanish,Portuguese,French are welcome.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi: Alcamo(Trapani province-Sicily) not result arbereshe or greek culture...but is very near to Sicily's town of greek culture..Alcamo town founded in the IX° century of emiro Arabic Al-Qamah (origin town's name is alquam arabian word it means muddy land) .
Please read data historical (in italian):

"Il primo documento che parla di Alcamo è del 1154 ed è un passo del Libro di Ruggero scritto dal geografo Edrisi per ordine del re normanno. Edrisi descrive la posizione di Alcamo ad un miglio arabico e mezzo da Calatubo e lo definisce mazil (casale o gruppo di case) con terre fertili e un mercato. Del 1185 è un altro documento che parla ancora di Alcamo e che ne conferma l'origine araba. E' un diario di un pellegrino andaluso, Ibn Jubair, che in viaggio da Palermo a Trapani si fermò ad Alcamo che egli definisce beleda (paese con moschee e mercato)"...not are info on Ascoli surname and currently in Alcamo, is only 1 Ascoli person:
http://paginebianche.virgilio.it/pb/cer ... mo&x=0&y=0

regards, suanj

raymo
Rookie
Rookie

Surname ASCOLI

Post by raymo »

THANK YOU Suanj!
I will write to the lady in Alcamo listed under ASCOLI in paginebianche.it, to see if she has any information on the surname or possible family history.
raymo
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Surname ASCOLI

Post by raymo »

:D
Just to let anyone who is interested know, it really does pay to have Peter & Suanj help out!
I have contacted the only other ASCOLI in Alcamo, and turns out, she is the daughter of my gfather's brother! She will kindly assist with simple research of documents on our family name, which is a great help to me.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

raymo wrote::D
Just to let anyone who is interested know, it really does pay to have Peter & Suanj help out!
I have contacted the only other ASCOLI in Alcamo, and turns out, she is the daughter of my gfather's brother! She will kindly assist with simple research of documents on our family name, which is a great help to me.
Wonderful!!!!
:wink: suanj
raymo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by raymo »

Hi All,

I'm re-posting this, especially to ask for help from the experts on the forum, since I've come up against a brick wall in my ASCOLI family search. The cousin I mention in Italy doesn't have much info for me...

I've emailed the Ufficio Anagrafe in Alcamo several times, when they finally answered, they simply told me there was no record of a MARIO or MARIANO ASCOLI ever born there. But I have no other information on my gfather, since I never knew him personally.

My gfather had two brothers, SALVATORE & GREGORIO. I believe Gregorio returned to Italy, since my cousin there is his daughter (she's in her 60s, he's been deceased for many years, I understand). She is in Alcamo, & did say that was where the family had always been from.

What I'm hoping to do is verify my gfather's birth town & date info, so I can access the correct family historical records further back.

I believe his mother's name was MARIA, but do not know her surname. I don't know what his father's name was for sure, but I think it may have been GIUSEPPE.

Any assistance, recommendations, advice any of you expert guys & gals can come up with, would be very much appreciated !
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Hi Raymo,

Could this be his manifest?? It's for a Mariano Ascoli, not Mario, but only one with this exact spelling of surname coming in the 1920's.

First Name: Mariano
Last Name: Ascoli
Ethnicity: Italy, Ital. South
Last Place of Residence: Alcamo, Italy
Date of Arrival: Oct 01, 1923
Age at Arrival: 19y Gender: M Marital Status: S
Ship of Travel: President Wilson
Port of Departure: Napoli
Manifest Line Number: 0003

And this 1930 census?

1930 United States Federal Census Record
about Mariano Ascoli
Name: Mariano Ascoli
Home in 1930: Brooklyn, Kings, New York
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1907
BirthPlace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouses's Name: Frances
Race: White

Education:

Military Service:

Rent Home Value:

Age at First Marriage:

Parents' Birthplace: View Image
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Mariano Ascoli 23
Frances Ascoli 19
Joseph Ascoli
Margarit Infantolino 5

Let us know if these are correct records. If not, please provide as much family information for him that you can. Wife's name? Children names? Birth years fro them?

What documentation have you obtained for him and/or his family?

jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
raymo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by raymo »

Hi JCSM,

YESSS, this is the record for him & my gmother, Frances!

I don't have any info for MARIANO at all...this is the problem, I can't track him back to Italy, since the gov't offices in Alcamo say he wasn't born there. That was all the info I had...Now, that's not to say they didn't just SAY that to me, since I had sent numerous emails to the Ufficio Anagrafe & Demografico, and they may have just wanted me to "go away".

I have every reason to believe he was born in Alcamo, not elsewhere.

Any suggestions on what to do next?

It's the Italian records & history I'm needing at this point. Especially his birth records & names of his parents, so I can continue tracing the family history.

Thanks so much !
raymo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by raymo »

Hi JCSM,

YESSS, this is the record for him & my gmother, Frances!

I don't have any info for MARIANO at all...this is the problem, I can't track him back to Italy, since the gov't offices in Alcamo say he wasn't born there. That was all the info I had...Now, that's not to say they didn't just SAY that to me, since I had sent numerous emails to the Ufficio Anagrafe & Demografico, and they may have just wanted me to "go away".

I have every reason to believe he was born in Alcamo, not elsewhere.

Any suggestions on what to do next?

It's the Italian records & history I'm needing at this point. Especially his birth records & names of his parents, so I can continue tracing the family history.

Thanks so much !
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Hi Raymo,

According to the manifest, he was born in Alcamo, and his father, Giuseppe, was living at 16 Mansoni, Alcamo when Marano immigrated.

LDS church does have films for the civil records (birth, marriage & death acts,1821-1915) & church records for the town of Alcamo.

Here is a link to the available civil records.

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... ato+civile++

The church records are from the two churches in Alcamo:
Registri ecclesiastici, 1545-1912 Chiesa cattolica. Santa Maria Assunta (Alcamo, Trapani)
Registri ecclesiastici, 1615-1910 Chiesa cattolica. Santi Apostoli Paolo e Bartolomeo (Alcamo, Trapani)

Once you find Marino's birth record from the civil regirtry, you'll know which church records to get & your FHC can provide you with the list of films or we can.

Link to locate your nearest LDS-Family History Center.

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... et_fhc.asp

Guide on obtaining these films.

http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/Foru ... =2581.html

Don't think you need this, but I always include it.....
A handy Italian-English genealogical word ist.

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/ ... Italia.ASP

But you may need this one for the church records & some of the early civil records.

Latin-English.

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/ ... LLatin.ASP

Hope this helps & keep us posted on your progress.

Hope hunting!

:) jcsm
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Hi again,

I'm getting forgetful in my old age.....If you need links to the manifest & census, please let me know.

Also find this information on Mariano Aascoli's marriage.

Surname Given Name Month
of Marriage Day
of Marriage Year
of Marriage County Certificate
Number

Ascoli Mariano Apr 22 1927 Manhattan 12110

To obtain this record>>>

http://www.italiangen.org/ny_marriage_application.htm

jcsm
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

If this is your Mariano Ascoli, it may explain why Alcama city hall can't find his birth record.

U.S. World War II Army Enlistment Records, 1938-1946 Record
about Mariano J Ascoli
Name: Mariano J Ascoli
Birth Year: 1904
Race: White, not yet a citizen
Nativity State or Country: Italy or San Marino
State: New York
County or City: Queens

Enlistment Date: 7 Oct 1942
Enlistment State: New York
Enlistment City: Fort Jay Governors Island
Branch: Branch Immaterial - Warrant Officers, USA
Branch Code: Branch Immaterial - Warrant Officers, USA
Grade: Private
Grade Code: Private
Term of Enlistment: Enlistment for the duration of the War or other emergency, plus six months, subject to the discretion of the President or otherwise according to law
Component: Selectees (Enlisted Men)
Source: Civil Life

Education: Grammar school
Civil Occupation: Motorcyclist
Marital Status: Separated, with dependents
Height: 65
Weight: 133

Could Alcamo find birth records for his brothers?

Let us know.

jcsm
raymo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by raymo »

hi JCSM,

THANKS VERY MUCH for all this!

First of all, I had no idea that my gfather had served in WWII. I'm assuming this is his enlistment record, though, I can't be totally sure. Again, I really don't know anything about him.

Why would you think that the enlistment record here would be the reason why Alcamo can't find his birth record? He was definitely born there.

I had never asked Alcamo City Hall about his brother's birth records, but I will try that now. They're not very responsive, it took over 6 months of multiple emails, in Italian, to get any answer at all.

Were you able to uncover any records at all, or even a surname for my ggrandmother? I believe her name was MARIA, but I have no other info. I believe she remained in Alcamo, as did my ggrandfather GIUSEPPE.

I will also go to the LDS, to get the church records on microfilm, as there is an LDS temple not far from where I live.

If you can discover anything else, I'd really appreciate it. In the meantime, I'll work on the LDS.

Thanks again!
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Hi raymo,

Reason why Alcamo can't find his birth record>>>WWII Enlistment Record shows "San Marino." I was hoping you could verify or reject this record by the "separated, with dependents" statement.

Between contacting Alcamo for birth records for his brothers & checking the LDS films, you may also want to try contacting the province archive for his military draft record......may want to include his brothers in this request. Here is a link to the archive.

http://wwwdb.archivi.beniculturali.it/S ... TRAPANI%22

jcsm
raymo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by raymo »

Hi JCSM,

As luck would have it, I heard from my cousin in Alcamo today...she is going to try again with the Ufficio Anagrafe there, but she told me that the reason they don't have the birth record for my gfather is because he was he was born in another town, called Balestrate.

They don't appear to have a website for the Comune, but my cousin will contact them for his birth record. I'm hoping from that to get my ggparent's full names & maybe even gggparent's info.

There are some questions I'll ask her in the interim, about where her father (my great uncle) was born & what other info she can provide that may clue me into past history.

Thanks for your help, I may need to pick your brain again, depending on where this present info takes me!