19th century italy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jolynn
Elite
Elite

19th century italy

Post by jolynn »

hello, can anyone tell me if all births were registered in italy in the 1850,s? was it common practice to register births then or would some have not been registered especially in the rural area,s. thanks, john
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: 19th century italy

Post by PeterTimber »

Civil authorities began registering births, marriages and deaths in 1809 in many areas mostly during the reign of the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies in Southern Italy, (1820 inSicily). By 1866 civil registration became law. After this date virtually all individuals who lived in Italy were recorded. =Peter=
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

Towns in the Papal States did not start registration on a regular basis until 1871.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
jolynn
Elite
Elite

Post by jolynn »

hello, i have the cassino films out at the moment and i can not find one birth in 1856 although others are there. i just wondered if everyone should be recorded or maybe i have the date wrong. the date came off passport details so i assume that was right. also on the right hand side of the birth details there seems to be a seperate column, is this to do with baptism? thanks again, regards, john
mahart
Veteran
Veteran

Post by mahart »

Hey Jolynn,

The column on the right on a birth record is usually baptismal details parish church date priest and name etc.

Mark
Searching for Palombella family in Molfetta, Puglia

Mark
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

Dates of birth that have been passed down through the years are often incorrect. For example, I wear my grandfather's ring that my grandmother had given him on his 50th birthday --- it's inscribed 12/19/32. However, when I found his birth record, it was dated 12/21/80. He was actually 52 years old on the date inscribed (or as per his tombstone, for that matter), and the exact date of birth was also incorrect. So if you're looking for a specific birth record, it's always wise to search a few years before and after the date in question.

The right column probably has the baptism information. Each town and era had its own forms, but from your description I suspect that it is the baptism information.
John Armellino
jolynn
Elite
Elite

Post by jolynn »

thanks guys, on the microfilm there is a index of names. the first column looks like the childs name and the second one the parents names, would this be right? regards, john
mahart
Veteran
Veteran

Post by mahart »

Yes the first column will be the baby name sonetimes nome(given name) and cognome (surname) followed by Genitori (parents), which in this instance would be father's nome and mother's nome and cognome but sometimes it just gives the baby's nome and then the parents nome and cognome.

Hope this helps

Mark
Searching for Palombella family in Molfetta, Puglia

Mark
jolynn
Elite
Elite

Post by jolynn »

hello mark, thanks for that, they are very difficult to read but i,ll get there, thanks again, regards, john