Search found 54 matches

by adifresco
03 May 2011, 08:37
Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
Topic: Help with 1881 birth record
Replies: 6
Views: 1881

Re: Help with 1881 birth record

Thanks a lot! Strange that his birth date is over a year after the one on his death certificate. I have a few more if anyone has time: The first one is a death record for Michelangelo Pierorazio, who I believe is the paternal grandfather of Vincenzo. http://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/download/fi...
by adifresco
03 May 2011, 04:28
Topic: Help with 1881 birth record
Views: 1881

Help with 1881 birth record

I need help translating and deciphering the handwriting on the birth record of my great-great grandfather, Vincenzo Pierorazio. He was born in the town of Palena in the province of Chieti. His parents are Giuseppe Pierorazio and Sabia Chiaverini. What other information is on this record? Easy link: ...
by adifresco
15 Feb 2011, 03:23
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Dead End, Need Expert Advice
Views: 2177

Re: Dead End, Need Expert Advice

I'm going to order the records from the FHC this week... I'm not getting my hopes up to find any answers though, because I did request this info from the comune of Chieti and they replied that they couldn't find it. Can anyone answer my main questions, or at least point me in the right direction? Wh...
by adifresco
13 Feb 2011, 17:05

Re: Dead End, Need Expert Advice

Thanks! That's one option I haven't tried. I'm also now considering that he might have been born in Lanciano because there are some Di Frescos there as well.
by adifresco
12 Feb 2011, 20:01

Dead End, Need Expert Advice

I've been trying to trace my Italian ancestors for over 5 years now. My great-grandfather was born in the province of Chieti in Abruzzo in 1896. He immigrated to the United States in 1912. I know his name, birthdate, and the names of his parents, but nothing else. I've written to the two comunes whe...
by adifresco
31 Aug 2010, 05:04
Topic: Letter to relatives in Italy
Replies: 5
Views: 4050

Re: Letter to relatives in Italy

Anyone? All I need is a quick proofread to be sure everything makes sense. Most of it is probably correct... I just want to make sure the grammar and wording is suitable and clear. Thanks in advance!
by adifresco
27 Aug 2010, 05:29

Re: Letter to relatives in Italy

Here is a rough translation I got using an online translator. I'm sure there are mistakes. Can someone who is fluent in Italian proofread for me please? Il mio nome è Addison DiFresco. Vivo a Charleston, South Carolina, Stati Uniti e sto cercando di ricerca la mia genealogia. Il mio bisnonno Giovan...
by adifresco
18 Aug 2010, 05:20

Letter to relatives in Italy

I'd like to write to several different individuals living in the province of Chieti (in Abruzzo) who I am probably related to. I found them in the Italian White Pages and they share my surname. My Italian is not very good, so I was wondering if someone could help me translate this from English: &quo...
by adifresco
23 Jul 2010, 18:02
Topic: U.S. names versus Italian Names
Replies: 24
Views: 13581

Re: U.S. names versus Italian Names

In Italy, it's not uncommon to use the nickname "Cenz" for Vincenzo. In dialect (at least Southern Italian dialects), Cenz is pronounced as Genz. To the American ear Genz sounded somewhat like James, hence Vincenzo became James. Aha, I knew there had to be a reason! I'm glad I came across...
by adifresco
23 Jul 2010, 07:54
Topic: U.S. names versus Italian Names
Replies: 24
Views: 13581

Re: U.S. names versus Italian Names

Vincenzo -> Vincent (also James/Jimmy; go figure) Wow, I had no idea this was common! My g-g-grandfather was named Vincenzo but went by James or Jimmy most of his life. I always thought it was unique to my family and wondered why he chose that name. Do you know why this is? A few more... my g-g-gra...
by adifresco
04 Jul 2010, 23:23
Topic: Church records from Chieti - Di Fresco family
Replies: 12
Views: 6745

Re: Church records from Chieti - Di Fresco family

PeterTimber wrote:Since none of these parish churches have no telephonenumbers...
They do have phone numbers listed, does this mean there is a resident priest?
by adifresco
04 Jul 2010, 21:19

One more question - there are less than 2000 people in the comune of Frisa. I realize that it is not uncommon for there to be several parishes in a comune, but I find it odd that there would be three in this tiny town. Is there any way to distinguish which might have the records? When I search on pa...
by adifresco
03 Jul 2010, 06:07

maestra36 - Thanks for the info. I am in the process of writing to the parishes, and I will keep my fingers crossed. Seraphina - Where did you find the information about Giovanni di Fresco living in Lanciano? There is a good chance he could be related. I have been in contact with other Di Frescos ar...
by adifresco
02 Jul 2010, 07:02

Church records from Chieti - Di Fresco family

I have been trying on and off for a few years now to trace the genealogy of my great-grandfather, Giovanni Di Fresco. I have run into several problems along the way... According to his 1912 Ellis Island immigration record, he was from the comune of Frisa, which is in the present day province of Chie...