Surname Amerinda or Degnovivo from Campobasso

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Re: Surname Amerinda or Degnovivo from Campobasso

Post by JohnArmellino »

Hi Michael - How is Giuseppe Degnovivo related to you?
John Armellino
Degno

Post by Degno »

Guiseppe Degnovivo is my great grandfather.
Degno

Post by Degno »

I'm new to this site. I would like to know more about my GGF, Guiseppe Degnovivo. If there's anyone with any info, can you please shoot it my way? I'm working on having my sister mail me Guiseppe's papers she has, because she dosn't know where to begin in these matters. I also have limited info, but know that I have family in Italy in Campobasso, and in the states in Ohio. Thanks everyone for your help. I am often on this site at wierd hours, because I'm serving overseas in the military. I will get back with you, It may just be different hours than you all have in the states.
jvillilo

Post by jvillilo »

First of all, thanks, Michael, for your service... especially on this day we remember all your brothers and sisters who have gone before you into service. If you are talking about Giuseppe Degnovivo who moved to Cleveland from Campobasso in 1916, and who married Angeline Del Greco in Campobasso in 1905, then we may have a connection through my Great-Grandmother Clotilde Amerinda, who claimed Giuseppe was her brother (see the above messages in this thread). I have more info when you are ready.
Degno

Post by Degno »

Thank you for thanking me. I wouldn't be doing anything else. Yes. Angelina Del Greco was his 3rd wife, I believe. The paperwork my sister has had her as his wife when they came to America. I'll contact my sister, and ask her if there's any other listings of wives, or siblings for him. Now how do I access this family tree you speak of?
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

Hi John

You wrote:
Giuseppe Degnovivo who moved to Cleveland from Campobasso in 1916, and who married Angeline Del Greco in Campobasso in 1905
Giuseppe Degnovivo and Luisa Fallocci had a son Mario Degnovivo in 1909. I did not find a death record for Luisa Fallocci through 1910. Did you actually find a record of a 1905 marriage between Giuseppe Degnovivo and Angela del Greco? If so, where? If not, what source do you have for that marriage. I thought that Giuseppe had remarried after 1910.
John Armellino
jvillilo

Post by jvillilo »

Hi John back :) - the death record for Giuseppe and Angeline is found in the Cleveland Necrology files:

http://dxsrv4.cpl.org/WebZ/QUERY?sessio ... -937852823

I also have the death certificate, as you know. The date of marriage I determined from the 1930 census which shows Joseph and "Ange" ages as 50 and 42, and the date of first marriage for both at 32 for Joseph and 24 for Angeline, exactly 8 years apart which corresponds with the current age in 1930; I guess that would be 1912 instead of 1905 (hey, that's why I went into law and not accounting!). It's still before they emigrated in 1916 and 1918 respectively....

http://content.ancestry.com/iexec/?htx= ... d=73528531
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

John - That would make sense. His second wife died after 1910 and he married Angela del Greco circa 1912. Note that their daughter Luisa, born circa 1914, is named after his deceased second wife, Luisa Fallocci. This naming tradition, while not firmly entrenched in the area, is not unusual. Also note that Angela del Greco is from Busso. [See page two of the immigration manifest posted by Elizabeth.] Traditionally the couple would have been married there. However, the Busso films end in 1910. Del Greco is a common surname in Busso and not indigenous to the comune of Campobasso.
John Armellino
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

Mike and I exchanged a few PMs that, for the most part, rehashed prior posts. However, we strayed into new facts that I wanted to post here in case someone might be able to add something. So starting with Mike's post...
Well, my father had his papers from when he came to America. I don't have access to all of the info you want- my fathers name is Joseph J. Degnovivo. His fathers name is Alfred Degnovivo and his mothers name was Josephine, but I don't know her maiden name.
Mike - I found a record for Alfred Degnovivo, born on 12 JUN 1919, and died April 1980 in the Cleveland locality. Is this your grandfather? If so, then your GGM is Angela del Greco, who was probably from Busso (a small town near Campobasso).
Ok- here's what I've got- My father is Joseph (Guiseppe in Italian) my Grandfather is Alfred- and yes- he Died around Apr. 1980. I was 1 1/2 years old. (I was born July 1978) I don't have my Dad's exact birth year. But yes, both my Grandfather and my Dad were born in America after 1918. The interesting thing is on the papers my sister has, it says Guiseppe married Angela Del Creco- not Del Greco, and the date of marriage is Dec 7th, 1914 in CB. Any way you can find Alfred's (my GF) parents listed on his birth cert? Is it possible there's no record in Italy of my GGF's 3rd wife because of a mistake or mispelling of her last name? What about my GF's Wife? (Alfred's)
Mike - I'm confident that your GGM is Angela del Greco. The reference to del Creco is surely an error. Del Greco is fairly common in Busso and there are no instances of the surname del Creco in either Campobasso or Busso - in fact, I used a search engine for Italian surnames and found no record for del Creco in Italy today. Your GGM's immigration papers state that she was born in Busso. However, she and Giuseppe may very well have been married in Campobasso. The two towns are about 6 miles apart. Furthermore, both towns are located in the Province of Campobasso and sometimes references to Campobasso refers to the province rather than the town. I don't have the record of their marriage because the films that I study end with the records of 1910. So, to actually get the record you would have to either write to the town or go there yourself. I do have the Busso birth records and tomorrow night I'm going to look for Angela del Greco. Sometimes a birth record has margin notes about the individual's later marriage or death.
Ok. Just wanted to throw that out there. Actually- my aunt (Angela) who is now deceased, I believe she was named after her GM, who would be Angela Del Greco. So what about the other Degnovivo's in CB region today? If my GGF was given that name, how would these people have the same last name, unless they are related? (Although I guess its possible they're not) Is it possible my GGF had other children we don't know about? From either of his previous marriages? And Guiseppe's paperwork does state his other past wives as Cornada De Santis (#1), and Louise Fallone (#2).
Giuseppe Degnovivo was married to Incoronata de Santis on 18 JUN 1892 in CB. They had a son Domenico who was died 20 FEB 1895 in CB at the age of twenty months. Incoronata de Santis died on 13 SEP 1893 in CB. So it doesn't appear that Giuseppe and Incoronata would have had any other children after Domenico. Giuseppe Degnovivo then married Luisa Fallocci on 04 NOV 1897 in CB. They had a son named Mario Degnovivo who died 13 NOV 1909 in CB at the age of 3 months. We know from immigration records that Giuseppe and Luisa had at least two other children: Domenico and Incoronata. [Note that Incoronata was named after Giuseppe's first wife, Incoronata de Santis.] Since they were married at least 13 years, I suspect that they did in fact have other children. I'll check the Campobasso records tomorrow night.

A White Pages search returns three entries under the name Degnovivo in Campobasso (none in Busso). These individuals might very well be Mike's cousins. However, keep in mind that the names given to foundlings were sometimes used more than once.
John Armellino
jvillilo

Post by jvillilo »

With the de Santis name thrown into the mix, it's interesting my GGM Clotilde married Rocco de Santis here in Cleveland 3 months after my GGF died of TB in 1917.
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

Rocco de Santis may have been from Campobasso - the surname is quite common in CB and marriages were often arranged between paisani. I checked Ellis Island but found no immigration record for Rocco de Santis from CB. Also, de Santis is a very widespread surname throughout Italy.
John Armellino
Degno

Post by Degno »

Thanks for all of your help. Let me know when you get the search results from the CB records. Who is Lawrienze Degnovivo?What about Incornata and Domenico (Degnovivo) ?
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

Michael - Giuseppe Degnovivo had a son Domenico with Incoronata de Santis. He died 20 FEB 1895 in CB. We know from immigration records that Giuseppe had another son named Domenico with his second wife, Luisa Fallocci. Immigration records also indicate that they had a daughter Incoronata. Lorenzo Degnovivo was listed as Clotilde Amerinda's father on her death certificate, but it remains a mystery as to (1) who her father actually was (2) what was actual her relationship to Giuseppe Degnovivo and (3) who was Lorenzo Degnovivo, if such a person actually existed.
John Armellino
Degno

Post by Degno »

So, what hapened to Domenico, and Incoronata? The children from Luisa?
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

Domenico emigrated to the USA in 1921. Incoronata was still in Italy at that time. I don't know if she ever emigrated to the USA. An Ellis Island search showed no results for Incoronata Degnovivo.
John Armellino