Gulian/Julian in NY--1920

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jjulian14712
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Gulian/Julian in NY--1920

Post by jjulian14712 »

To all of you who have made an effort to help me: thank you once again. As for the Francesco Guiliano from Onano, he could very well be my grandfather, if we could find a way to explain why the date his ship arrived is listed as December 6, 1909 instead of something close to April 1st, then we'll know we have the right person.

I'd like to summarize what we know from your contributions and the documents he left behind:

I'm looking at his declaration of intention, and this is what he lists: Frank Gulian; Born in Rome, Italy on May 15, 1894. Emigrated frm Naples, Italy on or about April 1, 1909.

My grandfather filled out this form 8 1/2 years after he came to America, and he obviously got at least one small detail wrong about the ship. Here are the possibilities as I see them:

If the Verona arrived on...

April 2, 1909 - His real name could be Pietro Giuliani. (Age 15, born in 1894)

May 1, 1909 - His real name could be Francesco Giuliano. (Age 18)

April 1, 1910 - His real name could be Francesco Giuliani. (Age 17)

December 6, 1909 - His real name could be Francesco Guiliano. (Age 16)

One thing remained consistent: His birthday is always listed as May 15th. It seems that the answer lies in Italy.

Thank you all again,

Jeff
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi Jeff, yes I understand, but I had other similar case... rarely the arrival on naturalization(or declaration of intent) is very right... what we have: Roma in WWI draft registration card.... Roma town or Roma Province? Onano was in Roma province.. the first name sure was Francesco or, complete, Francesco Giuseppe... the mother maiden name.... Natiaro... maybe Nazzaro? Natiaro exist not.... after the marriage at Flora... what was the second wife name? it is important.... you can say us?
regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
jjulian14712
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jjulian14712 »

Suanj,

My grandfather's second wife was my grandmother, whose maiden name was Mary De Forte, whose family lived right next door. They were married on May 25, 1935 in Ripley, NY, and resided at 519 Brigham Road, Dunkirk, NY until his death on January 29, 1969.

As for my grandfather's mother in Italy, a typed form from an army hospital during WWI lists his closest living relative as his mother, Natiaro Gulian, living in Rome, Italy. Unfortunately, later in his life, he lists completely different names for his mother.

I agree that Onano is close enough to Rome to consider it part of the same area.

I feel like we are definitely getting closer!

Thank you again,

Jeff
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

Jeff -

What was the name he listed later in life for his mother (first and last if you have it)?
jjulian14712
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jjulian14712 »

Hello Elizabeth,

Here are the three times my grandfather mentioned his mother's name:

1918-Army hospital records-Mother's name-Natiaro Gulian, living in Rome.

1921-Marriage to Flora Stilson-Father's name-George Julian, Mother's name-Mary Gioilson, both born in France.

1935-Marriage to Mary De Forte-Father's name-Joseph Julian, Mother's name-Mary Dionson, both born in France.

It seems like when he returned from fighting the war in France, he began to pretend he was French. My guess is that it was to avoid discrimination at the time, and apparently there were other Italian families in his neighborhood who did the same.

You can see how this contradictory information has frustrated our family's efforts to learn the truth, and I can't tell you how much we appreciate the assistance and expertise all of you have offered.

Jeff
jjulian14712
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jjulian14712 »

Laura,

I agree that my next move should probably be to write to some of the municipalities in Italy to ask about his birth certificate. Is the only way to do it through old-style mail?

Jeff
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

It could be that he was born in Italy and his parents were born in France....it happens!
jjulian14712
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jjulian14712 »

Essgee,

That's definitely a theory I've considered, and I'm aware that Italy was controlled by France for some time and that Rome is a city with many immigrants and foreigners. My tendency to believe my grandfather's documents about France is diminished by his inconsistency with regard to his parents' names and his own place of birth.

If I'm able to access his birth certificate, hopefully it will include information about his parents.

Thanks,

Jeff
wyattmtthws

Post by wyattmtthws »

I understand that you've been looking for that lost record for a long time now and that can be the one to solve the mystery. Maybe somehow I can do a little help here...try looking for background searches instead. These may help you make connections to some records that might help you on your research. Good thing is there are free sites that can be helpful. :D
jjulian14712
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jjulian14712 »

Wyattmtthws,

Thanks for the information.

Jeff
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

pink67 wrote:Hi Jeff,

nothing to do with 1920 census but, as I read that Frank arrived in 1909 perhaps this could be his 1910 census?
I apologize if you already have....

1910 United States Federal Census
about Frangesco Guliano
Name: Frangesco Guliano
Age in 1910: 17
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1893
Birthplace: Italy
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Home in 1910: Schroeppel, Oswego, New York
Marital Status: Single
Race: White
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Frangesco Mazone 59
Lambazzi Arcagelo 38
Frangesco Guliano 17

[img=http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/7358 ... ol1.th.jpg]

Laura
abt the other boarders.. well they are many surnames of Frosinone area... and more specific of Giuliano di Roma and Ceccano di Roma towns (Frosinone province)... for exemple: Colafranceschi, Lampazzi(right), Mazzone etc... also Pichi surname is in Onano, Cave etc however the area is the same... so I believe that Francesco Giuseppe Giuliano/i when came in USA he was very young in 1909, and maybe he had contacts in the USA with peoples of him same birtharea... just a suggestion, regards, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
jjulian14712
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jjulian14712 »

Suanj,

Thank you very much for continuing to help me.

You're right--I have a strong feeling that the Frangesco Guliano working on the barge canal is my grandfather, especially if he's the same person as the Francesco Guiliano who had trouble getting admitted to this country. It also fits with the evolving of his name from Guiliano to Guliano to Gulian.

I wrote to five different cities, and if one of them comes back with a Francesco Giuliano with a birth date of May 15th, I think we will have finally solved the mystery. I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks again,

Jeff
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi Jeff, I believe that you will receive the birthact very soon! best wishes, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH