Town in Italy

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
Biff83
Master
Master

Re: Town in Italy

Post by Biff83 »

Luigi Roefaro's WWI Draft Card

Name: Luigi Roefaro
City: No. Providence
County: Providence
State: Rhode Island
Birth Date: 11 Mar 1874
Birthplace: Italy--looks like Pontecorvo in the province of Caserta
Nearest relative: Pacifica

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

According to the 1930 Census she married Roefaro at age 25 which put that around 1900.
I assume you're referring to Pacifica Campellone. If this information is correct (marriage to Luigi Roefaro in 1900), then we may have two different Pacifica Campellones, since the 1906 immigration record has that Pacifica married to Francesco Angelone. I'll try to broaden the Colli search to see if there are any other Pacificas or Raffaelas in the relevant time periods.
John Armellino
stardst4

Post by stardst4 »

Biff

OMG. It is her birthday. I wonder if Tomasso is brother. I need to look into that further.

You guy's are just the greatest. I can't believe all the help you have given me.

Thanks

Robin
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
stardst4

Post by stardst4 »

Hi Biff,

I did see that and added to my files as it confirmed all the info that I had, particularly because my Grandfather, Luigi was living with them as well as Raffaella and her new husband Guiseppe Melino as my GGrandfather Antonio died in 1914 and she remarried in 1917.

Thanks,

Robin
stardst

Post by stardst »

Biff,
I went back and checked the 1920 Census and there is a Tomasso Angelone in the same neighborhood.

Boy I am just getting more and more confused.

Robin
jane1961

Post by jane1961 »

Hi there!

I'm watching this thread with interest: I love the way these stories unfold!!!

You mention a "ship's manifest"? I'm wondering how to trace an Italian family's (Coppola) arrival in England: I know they arrived in or before 1893, and settled in Plymouth. They may have left from Naples, as they came from Atina. Where might I look?

Best wishes

Jane
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Go to www.familysearch.org and under ancestor search just put in the name Coppola and you will find a listing for 5 Coppola surnamed persons coming from Naples to England and 1 Coppola from malta. The 5 Neopolitan Coppolas appear to have been engaged inthe Ice Cream business. This shows up in the 1881 British census. Further research as to their departure from Italy to England, dates and ships will have to be researched. Please advise if you require this infromation. =Peter=
jane1961

Post by jane1961 »

Thanks Peter,

Not our Coppolas, unfortunately! Ours were Guiseppe & Vincenzo (brothers, also in the ice cream business), with their wives, and with dad Domenico.

We can't be sure where they landed in England, or if they all arrived at the same time, but one of their children was born in Plymouth in 1883.

Any advice on where to search further would be great!

Regards

Jane
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Many Italian ice cream vendors wound up in Glasgow, Scotland and maybe that area is worthy of investigation. Will take a look. =Peter=
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

jane1961,

Perhaps you would like to start your own thread? Just click on the new topic icon and post your question.

I'm sure we can all help you as well. :D
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
jane1961

Post by jane1961 »

Thanks!

I've started a thread on "Atina Coppola's", so will keep my fingers crossed.

Happy New Year!

Regards

Jane
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

I wrote:
These records, standing alone, don’t prove anything. However, based on the 1906 immigration record found by Biff, the possibility exists that they are the records of your family. I think the following facts support that theory: (1) Raffaela Vincenza Angela was given the surname Campellone rather than a surname made up by the town official, as in the case of an abandoned infant, (2) Francesco Angelone and Pacifica Campellone were married shortly after Raffaela was born, (3) the ages specified in the records match your information, and (4) the 1906 immigration record identifies your GGM as Raffaela Angelone, traveling with her mother Pacifica Campellone, who together were going to meet their father/husband Francesco Angelone. Perhaps you have, or can find, more information that might help prove (or disprove) this theory.
The boldface information is wrong. The 1906 immigration record actually identifies your GGM as Raffaela Campellone, traveling with her mother Pacifica Campellone, who together were going to meet their father/husband Francesco Angelone. This might make a difference.
John Armellino
stardst4

Post by stardst4 »

Hi John,

I think Pacifica is the wife of Francesco. Rafaella's marriage certificate to Antonio Tella states this is first marriage and she was only 15. Is this what you meant?

Thnaks

Happy New Year
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

Hi Robin

Pacifica Campellone did marry Francesco Angelone. However, the issue remains as to whether the individuals named in the immigration manifest are same as those individuals named in the Colli civil records as posted earlier in this topic. The fact that Raffaele was traveling as Raffaele Campellone rather than Raffaele Angelone, but was joining her father Francesco Angelone, seems to support that theory. Normally a daughter would carry her father’s name; however, in this case it appears that Raffaela was born before Pacifica Campellone and Francesco Angelone married and, therefore, carried her mother’s surname. Once again, it doesn’t prove anything with 100% surety, but it is another piece of the puzzle. The fact that Raffaela Campellone married Antonio Tella at age 15 in 1909 also supports that theory, since it conforms to the information contained in the civil records posted earlier. On the contrary, the fact that the individuals named in the immigration manifest were traveling to PA must be reconciled with the fact that Pacifica Campellone and Luigi Roefero died in RI. Especially in light of the two immigration records for Francesco Angelone, one to PA and the other to RI. Yet it seems somewhat improbable that there are two sets of individuals that match the facts presented. Personally, I think that the individuals named in the Colli civil records, the individuals named in the immigration manifest, and your family are one and the same. However, stranger things have happened and it would be nice to find some information somewhere that confirms the theory.

Buon Anno Nuovo
John Armellino