Italian Vital Records

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
agripofi

Re: Italian Vital Records

Post by agripofi »

ok Ricky
I know you are a genuine youmg kid - dont worry my comment was probably wrong.
Ricky1016

Post by Ricky1016 »

What's that supposed to mean...you know I'm a GENUINE young kid?
agripofi

Post by agripofi »

What happened now even the word "genuine" is offensive!?
I mean that you are are ok, and let's end this issue here and now.
bye.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Sometimes we answer the same or similar question over and over again. As a result all the detail is not always written.
You are right Deb........In retrospect, I do this alot and I think it leads to
some confusion..... :oops:
Something I need to keep in mind when providing an answer!!

This is a genealogy site, not a debate forum. Posters make queries regarding genealogy......we do our best to answer them and share what we know and have learned. Each of us do this for the love of genealogy.

Ricky...it is great to see another young person bitten by the genealogy bug!! Check out James website.......he has done some amazing work and also started out at as a teen.......

I think we can all agree that record keeping systems vary from one country to another and that no one is debating which is better....so let there be no misunderstandings here, and get back to what we do best,
genealogy.

Happy Hunting!!
wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
dragoni
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dragoni »

james:

do you know if there are church records for the town of dragoni, caserta? i will have shortly exhausted the lds records for my relatives to 1810 and am curious if i can go further. thank you.

topic:

i am not a professional, just an individual researching my italian family for about 1 1/2 years. in that time i have been able to trace them from 1901 immigraiton to america back to 1866 in italy with exact information and 1835 with sporadic information based on italian records. fwiw, the italian records, while different from the american ones, are much simpler for a novice like me to use to find information as long as you can find the town.
hellosquire
Rookie
Rookie

Post by hellosquire »

In my opinion, it is far easier to find documents from Italy than it is in my state, at least.

Basically, if you're searching either country, you have to know what city your subject is from. Vital records in the US are kept at the local level, just like in Italy. A request to the state level in the US can take considerably longer if you didn't know what city your subject is from.

At least my ancestor's village in Italy was willing to send me my g. grandparents' documents. New York State refuses to give me my grandmother's birth certificate without a court order. If she were born in New York City, things would be different.

At least in Italy, your right to obtain a historical document seems pretty universal. In the US, there is a great deal of inequality concerning access to vital records, depending on what state you're from. Why should I be treated less equally than a person born in New Jersey?

In my experience, I had an easier time with Italy when it came to obtaining certified documents. I just wanted to share that.