Carpathia crew manifest help please?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mfjp
Master
Master

Re: Carpathia crew manifest help please?

Post by mfjp »

Hi Kristina,

I corrected your double post and then stepped away from the computer to settle the kids...

Thank you for sending me that link to the Carpathia Crew site....

I did see a listing for Mr. Anthony Cernyul born in 1873... (further edit... year i posted is incorrect...)

Your Giovanni Cergnul was born in 1894?

Do you think these 2 are blood relatives??

If so... in which way...

The more I look at it, the manifest of 1914 that I located for you is I think... pretty good... for once immigration info on a census record matches the manifest find...

I will get back to you with that 1914 manifest by listing everyone on that voyage... maybe you can pass those names on that boat to your new contacts (better yet... new family!)...

I need to read your post further and will reply!

Things are looking pretty good with your family history!! :P Really glad for you :!: :P :P :P

maria
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Well it would all come together if his name was Giovanni Antonio......the age is very close..... And he is listed as a fireman which John is listed as on other visits.

Wonder why there is no access to the origianal records at Ellis Island?...would be great to see the real documents.....
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

You are correct of course, Matteo would be Matthew, Mike or Michael would be
Michele. I am wondering if the man you seek is not possibly Domenico Faraguna, who was a waiter (along with Matteo) on Carpathia, both natives of Austria. They may have been brothers/cousins. I could see a Domenico coming to the US and using the name Mike as opposed to Dominick. Just a thought!

Hope everything is going well.

Jim :)
cerg
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cerg »

Hello Everyone.

Maria as far as the Mr. Antonio Cernyul goes you are right the age is off quite a bit. I guess that I did not notice that, it's a good thing that I have your eyes helping!!

The 1914 manifest is quite possibly that correct manifest, I am just checking all my options. John's children (Rosie and Lilea) are very proud that their father could have been on the ship to help in the rescue if he would not have jumped ship. If that 1914 manifest is correct , then it is going to be very hard convince them that he was not on the Carpathia. I have a feeling that they are going to be pretty upset to find out that he wasn't. I have been doing research on this family and others long enough I do know that people did not always tell the truth on written documents or to other family members.

James- Thank you for your input!! I had really never thought about Dominic!! There was a Dominic that Giovanni swears he traveled with on the Carpathia. I was told by Nuccia that you know a lot about the Titanic so I thought your input might help also. Thank you for taking the time to check out my post!!!

I am going to be in and out a lot this weekend, we have a big carnival in town for the holiday weekend!!!! So I will be there most of the weekend with the family. I hope that everyone enjoys their holiday weekend as well!! I will be checking my messages through out the weekend though.

Kristina
cerg
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cerg »

Hi Guys,

Just thought I would let you know that I had talked to Mary Valenti(Mike Faraguna's daughter) I di not get that much information from her except that her mothers name was Giovanna Nacinovich and that her mother and John Cergnul worked together in a resturant in Albona.

If I get anymore information I will let you guys know!!

Kristina
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Help......

The manifests for the Carpathia list Antonio at age 19. Where does it state he should have been born in 1873? Looks to me like he should have been born about 1893.....

What am I missing on the manifest? Am I reading the columns wrong?

Thanks.....
cerg
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cerg »

Hello Again!!

Well the kids started back to school today.. :D :D
The house is sooooo quite with them gone, I will be able to think again while doing my research!! I really don't have any new information, I am expecting some more information from Croatia either today or tommorrow. I will let you all know when I recieve it. I am very lost on where to go from here. I think that I need to get the documents from Croatia before I can go back any further. I would really like to confirm a Manifest for John. The 1914 Florida Manifest is a very good possiblity, and I am leaing towards that one. I would just like to be positive that is him. If I could find the birth information for John's brother Antonio that would help get a date that he left home. Antonio stated in a letter to John that he was too young when John left home and did not even remember him. I am hoping that maybe that is in the information that was found for me. I will keep you guys posted!!!

I hope that everyone enjoyed their Holiday weekend!!! Our carnival was alot of fun, the kids had a great time!!!

Kristina
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Essgee wrote:Help......

The manifests for the Carpathia list Antonio at age 19. Where does it state he should have been born in 1873? Looks to me like he should have been born about 1893.....

What am I missing on the manifest? Am I reading the columns wrong?

Thanks.....
No... maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me... I'm so wrong. :o (sorry!)...

I looked for the last ship that he worked on before the great rescue (Antonio's) ... and it was not an Ellis ship ... as I checked...

I never checked with Ancestry .com to see if they have any records for that boat... (just can't remember the name right now...) something for me to do later.

Kristina wrote:
If I could find the birth information for John's brother Antonio that would help get a date that he left home. Antonio stated in a letter to John that he was too young when John left home and did not even remember him.
At this point, I don't know what to tell you, searching for Antonio could be fun, and worth it too, since he is family....

I did promise you a list of crew men from that 1914 manifest...

Get back to you soon...

Maria :P
cerg wrote:Hello Again!!

Well the kids started back to school today.. :D :D
The house is sooooo quite with them gone, I will be able to think again while doing my research!!

Kristina
One reason why I prefer to research at night is that sometimes I focus better on things when I know I won't be thrown off the computer anytime soon...

With 3 boys all close in age (I'm talking about yours...) you do have your hands full... enjoy the freedom, research is good for you...

mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

I was at a Titanic web site which listed all the crewmen of the Carpathia who helped rescue people...

This site also included the ship that he last worked .... before the great rescue...

Does anyone recall this website that includes this information??

Maria
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

here's one
http://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/manifest.php?q=6

and one w/more detail
http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:u7L ... n&ie=UTF-8

Cernyul, Antonio
[probably Cergnul or Cernjul]
Austria
9/3/1912
Arat (last ship)
Fireman
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

vj wrote:here's one
http://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/manifest.php?q=6

and one w/more detail
http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:u7L ... n&ie=UTF-8

Cernyul, Antonio
[probably Cergnul or Cernjul]
Austria
9/3/1912
Arat (last ship)
Fireman
Yes... that's the one!!! the one with more detail!! :P

I knew the ship's name started with an "A" .. but just couldn't remember the full name...

The Arat..... I looked to see if Ellis had this ship listed but it didn't....

Thank you Valarie,

vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Maria,
Can't find any record of a ship named Arat.
In fact only Cernyul, Antonio on the Carpathia
listed it as his last ship. (except for ditto's
for Giovanni Cersavanic)

May be a mis-spelling...
Not on google, not on yahoo.
Maybe he sailed w/someone else on Carpathia with
ship name that's similar to Arat?
justathought
Valarie
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

I'm not having any luck either either....

Crew List of Steamship Carpathia
April 15, 1912

Cernyul, Antonio
[probably Cergnul or Cernjul] age 19, birth Austria, Date of signing - 9/3/1912 (March 9), last ship Arat, Fireman

Cersavanic, Giovanni
age 35, birth Austria, Date of signing - 9/3/1912 (March 9), last ship Arat, Greaser

Maria
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Could the correct spelling of the ship be "Ararat".......

wldspirit
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

I too checked the S.S. "Ararat"... but seems that vessel went to the UK ports, what info did you find out about this ship?

Maria