Italian Passport?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
matta
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Italian Passport?

Post by matta »

PeterTimber wrote:But just a word here. My father and mother were born in the USA and/my grandparents were Italian citizen onboth sides. I have my fathers' parent(my grandfather) estratto di nascita e del'atto di morte from their comune Ufficio di stato Civile.(Timbrato e firmato) I can request a copy of my father's birth certificate in NYC where he was born and I assume it will require a certification or notarization from the issuing office. Is this enough to obtain citizenship?
There's a lot more documentation that you will need than that. Did your GF move to the US then return to Italy before his death?
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

1es he and my grandmother returned to Italyrior to WW1 and never returned and all the children returned to USA after the War in 1918 since they were all us citizens. As I said I have a Stato civile record of his birth and death in his native comune. My mother is also a native born USC of Italian parents who died in the USA and never returned to Italy. Thankyou= Peter=
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

Peter,
check this web site, this is my friend, I personally know him, I talk to him almost every day.
With this web site you have an idea

www.italiandualcitizenship.com

bye Riccardo
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Ricbru thank so very much for your replete reply!! When I thinkof all those birth,marriage and death certificates that have to be translated in NYC and then acquiring the remaining documents for the remainder of the family in Italy is like a party!!

Your kindess is only exceeded by your many other attributes. =Peter=
legge379

Post by legge379 »

Riccardo, thanks for your reply. I will be applying through SF and it's good to know the approximate time it'll take.
legge379

Post by legge379 »

Hey guys, I applied for an appointment for citizenship at the San Francisco consulate with the intention of using Legge 379/2000 and I was told that I cannot use my great-grandmother. I specifically mentioned Legge 379/2000.

They said:
"You cannot apply through (your great-grandmother) because women can transmit
citizenship only to their children born after Jan. 1, 1948."

This seems contrary to what has been said on this forum. I see TrentinoJim said above:
"However, I am absolutely certain that the sex of the emigrant ancestor is NOT a barrier under this law."

Is there something I'm missing?

My specific case is this:
My great-grandmother was born in 1882 in Trento and emigrated to the US before 1920. My grandfather was born in 1920 in the US. My great-grandfather was also from Trentino, but was born in Innsbruck, Austria and I believe this would disqualify him since he wasn't born in a part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire that became Italy.
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

My guess is that even though the sex of your ancestor is not an issue in demonstrating the beginning of the Italian line, for that citizenship to be passed down to succeeding generations, the line must still follow jure sanguinis rules.

So your grandmother, born in Trento, is acknowledged as an Italian citizen. After 1948 she would be able to pass on that citizenship to a child, but not before that date. Seems to make sense that the rules for a Trento-born Italian are not different from a Rome-born Italian.

Your Trento-born greatgrandfather is also acknowledged as an Italian citizen, and he could pass citizenship to his Austrian-born son and subsequent generations as long as no one renounced in the interim.
legge379

Post by legge379 »

mler, that makes sense. Grazie.

I'll see about using my great-great-grandfather.
legge379

Post by legge379 »

Here's an update. I recently contacted an Italian lawyer through Trentini nel Mondo who clarified the situation. She said that there could be two ways for me to get citizenship.

1) My great-grandfather was born in Innsbruck but grew up and lived in Trento because his family was from there. Because of this, it may be possible for me to still get it through him.

2) My great-grandmother was from Trento, but the issue of her being able to pass on her citizenship to her son is unclear. It seems that the argument is this: she never had citizenship before 1948 and preventing her from passing on her citizenship now is a case of discrimination. While it may be ultimately possible for me to get it through her, the Italian courts haven't ruled one way or another on the situation. She pointed me over here for more info: http://www.trentininelmondo.it/cittadin ... minile.asp

She said that Legge 379/2000 only applies to the emigrating ancestor, so I wouldn't be able to use my great-great-grandfather who was born in and died in Trento.