Italian Passport?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
TrentinoJim

Re: Italian Passport?

Post by TrentinoJim »

Hi! As of now, I don't know of ANYONE who has successfully obtained Italian citizenship under Law 379_2000, including me. I have successfully completed the request which has been certified and submitted by the Consulate here in Philadelphia for consideration in Italy.

But these requests are being processed VERY VERY slowly.

However, I am absolutely certain that the sex of the emigrant ancestor is NOT a barrier under this law. IF you have any specific questions about your own case, I suggest you go to the website of Trentini nel Mondo... here is the link: http://www.trentininelmondo.it/

You can write to them for advice about specific issues.

I DO know of several people who have applied under Law 379_2000 through there maternal emigrant ancestor. I hope this is helpful...Jim
KammPacher

law 379/2000

Post by KammPacher »

Jim

I already have applied too, under Law 379/2000 through maternal line, here in the consulate in Paraguay. It was two years ago and we don´t have any news about it.
Thanks for your information.

Best Regards
TrentinoJim

Post by TrentinoJim »

I'm glad you have also applied... It is a bit distressing that this is all moving so slowly. I know several people who applied two years ago already, with no answers yet. I had heard that originally the problem was understaffing, but that the extension of the law that was passed last year had provisions to increase the staffing.

Apparently not.

Well, if I get any news, from anyone, I will post something here...

Ciao...Jim
johnmilano
Rookie
Rookie

Post by johnmilano »

it seems our friend here is not eligable for italian citizenship.

You cannot get an italian passport without being a citizen.

So he must find out if he's eligable.

It seems that from the facts that he is, in no way, able to claim
italian citizenship.

It seems he cannot be a citizen because his great great grandfather
got naturalized, and his children were Italian citizens at the time
and under the age of 18 when it happened, so they automatically
renounced their citizenship regardless of where they lived.
It is impossible that he had dual citizenship because it wasn't
recognized in the US until 1970,
and wasn't possible by Italy until 1992. So it seems from
the great great grandfather down, <b>everyone</b> has been american,
and only american, since. The citizenship was lost in 1902.

There will be (IS) documentation on your great grandfather
being naturalized, it will be together with his father, on your
great great grandfathers application. So there will (should)
be a naturalization record found for him, but it will be
under your great great grandfather's application.
So your great grandfather lost his italian citizenship as a minor,
he has not technically been Italian since, and cannot,
despite living in italy for7 years, cannot pass anything
onto your grandfather, father, and you.

As far as I understand, his basketball agent can't do anything
about it. but who knows. At least not concerning jure sanguinis.

Also, supposedly the Chicago consulate is one of the bad ones,
and haven't processed anything in two-three years, so they
have an amazing backlog, along with the consist applications
over those years.

I don't believe Italian Law #379_2000 will work for you since one
of the requirements is that "3) none of your ancestors renounced
ITALIAN citizenship." Which your great great grandfather and
great grandfather did; which, i believes disqualifies you.

I really wish I could offer better news. But Mler is right and your
best bet is to look into a visa.

Of course you should double-check all this information with your consulate
under your jurisdiction.
TrentinoJim

Post by TrentinoJim »

Actually, I don't believe you are correct: Giustino could not have renounced Italian citizenship, because he NEVER had it. HE renounced AUSTRIAN citizenship, and was naturalized in October of 1900 (the naturalization papers -- which I have seen -- clearly say he renounced Austrian citizenship.) Once an American citizen, he would not have had a reason to renounce Italian citizenship.

Trentini who emigrated before July 1920 never had an opportunity to be Italian citizens, because Trentino was part of the Austro-Hungarian empire, and by that political fact, they were denied the right. THAT is precisely what Law 379_2000 seeks to redress.

Law 379_2000 DOES NOT require ANY evidence of naturalization. It only requires that the emigrant ancestor and his descendants NEVER RENOUNCED ITALIAN CITIZENSHIP. Giustino never did that, nor did any of his children. Our friend should still submit his request and documentation, then wait for the commission to review it. IF he cannot do it in Chicago, he is permitted to do it on a soggiorno visa in Italy.
johnmilano
Rookie
Rookie

Post by johnmilano »

If that is the case with Law 379_2000, then our friend could have a decent shot... he should pursue it, but definately in italy, as Chicago is having major problems. this is an exciting angle.
BenJamin

Post by BenJamin »

On the same topic i have a similar question. My grandmothers parents immigrated from italy but she was born here would it be possible for me to obtain citizenship. Would my grandmother have obtained citizenship by birth right?
TrentinoJim

Post by TrentinoJim »

IF your grandmother was born BEFORE her parents were naturalized as US citizens, then yes, she would have been entitled to Italian citizenship by blood, through her father.

If you would like to check your own eligibility (assuming your grandmother was eligible), try this link: it is an easy way to see if you will meet the requirements. I'm not necessarily recommending you use this service to obtain the necessary documents, however... just do the check first.

http://www.myitaliancitizenship.com/ind ... cation.htm

Good luck...
BenJamin

Post by BenJamin »

Thanks for the reply :)
legge379

Post by legge379 »

Hi, does anyone here know anyone who has obtained citizenship through Law 379/2000 yet? I'm going to apply through my great-grandmother and am curious how long it will take. Judging by what people have said here, I'm expecting a long time.
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

a very good friend of mine applied at Miami consulate and it took 12 months (march 2006/ march 2007), in New York there is an average of 17-18 months, my cousin applied last march 2007 in SF and they told him to wait up to 2 years, in South America there is an average of 4-5 years.
It depends from consolate to consolate
I hope it helps
bye Riccardo
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Very interesting Ricbru. I wonder how Seattle, Chicago and Houston would take provided they have Italian consulate processing of applications for passports.??=Peter=
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

Peter,
all main italian consulates and embassis from all over the world give this service to all citizens from abroad.
The process is for italian citizenship, it ends with certificate of italian citizenship to the applicant.
If you want the italian passport, you just fill out an application form and attach to it the photocopy of your italian certificate of citizenship, you spend about € 80 euros, and the italian passport is yours, and you can live in Italy as long as you want.... no more visa, no more 90 day limit!!!
Ciao Riccardo
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Thanks Ricbru. I had not really thought about obtaining my Italian citizenship and was thinkin gout loud about what consulates move a bit faster than other sinprocessing applications.

But just a word here. My father and mother were born in the USA and/my grandparents were Italian citizen onboth sides. I have my fathers' parent(my grandfather) estratto di nascita e del'atto di morte from their comune Ufficio di stato Civile.(Timbrato e firmato) I can request a copy of my father's birth certificate in NYC where he was born and I assume it will require a certification or notarization from the issuing office. Is this enough to obtain citizenship?

I am picking your brains at this point but if I decided to do so I would not bother you and go to an attorney whose location is near a consulate where the waiting time is much less than NYC. Thanks much Ric. =Peter=
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

Peter, the most important thing is to know if your grandparents became US citizen. If they became after the birth of your parents, then you can apply, otherwise it is a little bit difficult. There is a january 1st 1948 limit if you want to get it from mom side.
Please state to me (on a pm or email) your ancestors names and dates of birth and naturalization from both sides (mom and dad), also your general info too. I will try to help you as much as possible
ciao Riccardo