Amending birth, marriage in NYS

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
rgaetano
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Amending birth, marriage in NYS

Post by rgaetano »

@javaislife -I'm confused about what the municipal archives are, I was under the impression that it was a NYC thing (all documents in question are NYS)? Also, what was your Italian affidavit used for (small spelling error, date error, etc?)

@ Kontessa, so you used the Italian affidavit successfully? what did you use it for?

and yes, according to Linda Ortiz at the Corrections/Ammendment unit in Albany, I (or my father) am/is able to amend my GGF's marriage certificate, and as well his death certificate. She responds fast and is very helpful and straightforward as to what you need. Below are her requirements/response for each request I made.

Request to amend birth certificate:
A birth record can only be obtained or corrected by the person, mother or father listed on the birth certificate or with a notarized release from the person, mother or father listed on the birth record. All others a court order is required.

Request to amend death certificate:
1. Application for correction of certificate of death complete and signed. (DOH-299 (Death Correction))
2. Affidavit to obtain certified copy of death certificate completed and signed. (Affidavit to obtain death)
3. Copy of decedents birth record, (and a certified English translation if not in English.)
4. A correction is free however if you wish to obtain a certified copy of the corrected death certificate there is a $30.00 fee per copy. Make check or money order payable to NYS Dept of Health.

Request to amend marriage:
1. Affidavit for Correction of Marriage Record completed, signed and notarized. (Marriage Correction Affidavit New DOH-1827)
2. Affidavit to Request Certified Copy of Marriage Certificate completed, signed and notarized. (Affidavit to obtain marr (VR-255))
3. Supporting documentation such as a birth record of the bride or groom to correct any birth related items or bride/grooms parent’s names. (And a Certified English translation if not in English)
4. Bride and Groom’s death certificates.
o If you wish to obtain a certified copy of the corrected/annotated marriage record there is a $10.00 fee for the first
record, each additional record is $30.00. Make check or money order payable to NY State Dept of Health.

hope this helps provide some information to all those needing to amend documents in NYS.
kontessa
Elite
Elite

Post by kontessa »

Thanks for providing that information for the forum readers. :)

As for the affidavit, I made the suggestion for you to use one, because you won't have the time to get a court ordered correction before your appointment. It may not be accepted by the consulate in NYC, but at least you'll have something to offer during your appointment! NYC is very picky, so don't get your hopes up and be prepared to have it rejected. I don't want to sound negative, but just realistic - based on the volumes of posts from others applying in NYC that also had affidavits, and had them rejected. Again, imo, it's always better to have something to offer.

(My affidavit worked, but it was in Newark...two VERY different consulates.)
rgaetano
Rookie
Rookie

Post by rgaetano »

Well, I guess under my situation, the affidavit is worth a try, even if NYC is unlikely to accept it. Thanks so much for the help. I'll give an update once I amend these documents.
JavaisLife
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JavaisLife »

Hi Rgaetano - I do suggest bringing the affidavit. I agree with kontessa, it's good to show or present something. The affidavit will be a good backup document, however - there is a chance it will work as a subsitution.

However, I am almost certain they will ask you to go forward and try to making the changes onto the documents themselves.