Albanese family of Busso (CB) - Pittsburgh/Cleveland

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mjordan

Re: Albanese family of Busso (CB) - Pittsburgh/Cleveland

Post by mjordan »

Thanks again, John. For the record, Antonio's birthday here matches what I have on other documents.
Surnames: Camposarcuno (Campo/Composino), Gallitto, Albanese, Palmieri
mjordan

Post by mjordan »

Would an actual birth date be wrong on these records? The draft cards for Liberato Albanese of Garfield, NJ that Tess found above list him as being born in Busso, but on Aug 22nd, whereas the Liberato above has a listed birthday of Feb 4.

I'm wondering if this is poor record keeping or if the New Jersey Liberato is a cousin born in the same year with the same name?
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

Would an actual birth date be wrong on these records? The draft cards for Liberato Albanese of Garfield, NJ that Tess found above list him as being born in Busso, but on Aug 22nd, whereas the Liberato above has a listed birthday of Feb 4. I'm wondering if this is poor record keeping or if the New Jersey Liberato is a cousin born in the same year with the same name?
There are several possibilities. The birth date celebrated by our immigrant ancestors were often inaccurate. My Grandfather celebrated 19 DEC 1882 as his birthday. He was actually born on 21 DEC 1880. I suppose there might be a number of reasons for this, including school registration, employment, etc. Of course, the Italian record might contain an error. After all, those records were based upon what was being reported to the transcriber. I believe that parents had a legal obligation to report births to the Ufficio dello Stato Civile. Perhaps they fudged the date if they were late in reporting. However, that is simply speculation on my part. I think the only recourse with respect to verifying the birth date as reported in the civil birth record is to examine the child's baptismal record for inconsistencies. I suspect the baptismal record would be more accurate. Finally, as you suggest, one has to be careful not to confuse cousins with the same name. And we all know how many first cousins might carry the same name!
John Armellino
mjordan

Post by mjordan »

This is what I suspected, but I was skeptical because the dates I have for Antonio all match exactly, but I realize there probably wasn't much consistency in those days.

Once again, thank you for your immense help here.
mjordan

Post by mjordan »

I'm looking at Filomena Palmieri's Ellis Island record and she lists her father as Domenico Palmieri. There were other Busso Palmieris on the ship with her, but their father is listed as Giuseppe.
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

The Family of Domenico Palmieri and Rosaria Battista

Maria Cristina Palmieri, daughter of Domenico Palmieri, 36, contadino, and Rosaria Battista, was born on 04 APR 1882 at Piazza San Lorenzo in Busso. Source: Busso (Campobasso). Ufficio dello Stato Civile, Registri dello Stato Civile, 1809-1910, FHL INTL Film 1732872/NATI 1882/Numero 26, 05 APR 1882.

Berardino Palmieri, son of Domenico Palmieri, 30, contadino, and Rosaria Battista, was born on 03 APR 1884 at Piazza San Lorenzo in Busso. Source: Busso (Campobasso). Ufficio dello Stato Civile, Registri dello Stato Civile, 1809-1910, FHL INTL Film 1732872/NATI 1884/Numero 30, 06 APR 1884.

Cristina Palmieri, daughter of Domenico Palmieri, 30, contadino, and Rosaria Battista, was born on 12 APR 1886 at Piazza San Lorenzo in Busso. Source: Busso (Campobasso). Ufficio dello Stato Civile, Registri dello Stato Civile, 1809-1910, FHL INTL Film 1732873/NATI 1886/Numero 19, 15 APR 1886.

Cristina Palmieri married Alberto Francesco Coladangelo on 07 OCT 1907 in Busso. Source: Busso (Campobasso). Ufficio dello Stato Civile, Registri dello Stato Civile, 1809-1910, FHL INTL Film 1732873/NATI 1886/Numero 19/marginalia, 15 APR 1886.

Berardino Palmieri, son of Domenico Palmieri, 40, contadino, and Rosaria Battista, was born on 31 JAN 1889 at Piazza San Lorenzo in Busso. Source: Busso (Campobasso). Ufficio dello Stato Civile, Registri dello Stato Civile, 1809-1910, FHL INTL Film 1732873/NATI 1889/Numero sette 7, 31 JAN 1889.

Berardino Palmieri married Maria [Marta?] Pinto on 31 DEC 1910 in Busso. Source: Busso (Campobasso). Ufficio dello Stato Civile, Registri dello Stato Civile, 1809-1910, FHL INTL Film 1732873/NATI 1889/Numero sette 7/marginalia, 31 JAN 1889.

Filomena Palmieri, daughter of Domenico Palmieri, 40, contadino, and Rosaria Battista, was born on 01 MAY 1896 at Piazza San Lorenzo in Busso. Source: Busso (Campobasso). Ufficio dello Stato Civile, Registri dello Stato Civile, 1809-1910, FHL INTL Film 1732873/NATI 1896/Numero ventinove 29, 04 MAY 1896.

Well, Filomena was right there in 1896. Of course, she wasn't in the index, which just goes to show that you have to look at the records and not just the index.
John Armellino
mjordan

Post by mjordan »

Thanks John!

Very interesting. So Battista was the family connection between Antonio and Filomena not Piccione.
crash6

Post by crash6 »

mjordan wrote:Hi,

I am looking for more information on my great grandfather's family.

His name was Antonio Albanese and he was born in Busso, Campobasso in 1889. He came to America in 1909 and married my great grandmother Filomena Palmieri, also of Busso, in Cleveland in 1913. Antonio died outside Chicago in 1976, 2 months before I was born.

According to the Ellis Island records, when he came to America he was with a Nunzio Albanese and they both went to Pittsburgh to join a Clemente Albanese. I have found the WWI Draft registration card for Clemente Albanese of McKeesport, PA (near Pittsburgh) and he lists Antonio of Cleveland as his nearest relative.

Here is where things get fuzzy, no one in my family can remember Antonio visiting Pittsburgh or relatives from Pittsburgh visiting them, but they do recall him discussing an "Uncle Charlie", this could be an Americanization of Clemente.

I can not find any information on a Clemente Albanese or a Charlie Albanese in Pittsburgh or Cleveland dated after that WWI Draft Card.

What I want to know is:

- How were Nunzio and Clemente/Charlie Albanese related to my gr-gf? I'm assuming they were brothers based on the "Uncle" moniker.
- Did they stay in Pittsburgh? If not, where did they go? Did they have children?

If anyone has any info or can direct me to a good source to research Italian-Americans in Pittsburgh, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Hi this is my first message in this forum and, first of all, I excuse for my english cause I'm Italian and I live in Busso (Campobasso - Italy). I've read your message and I give you (hoping it can help you) the link about the official site of Busso http://www.comune.busso.cb.it/hh/index. ... cc=1&jvs=1.
mjordan

Post by mjordan »

crash6 wrote:
Hi this is my first message in this forum and, first of all, I excuse for my english cause I'm Italian and I live in Busso (Campobasso - Italy). I've read your message and I give you (hoping it can help you) the link about the official site of Busso http://www.comune.busso.cb.it/hh/index. ... cc=1&jvs=1.
crash6,

Thanks for this link. I cannot speak or read Italian very well, but I noticed on this site there was a link to photographs of a group of people from Busso visiting Bedford, UK. If you've read over this entire thread, you'll see that it turned out that some of my ancestors ended up in Bedford as well.

Do you know what the significance of Bedford is to Busso? Were there a large number of people who migrated to that part of England at one point?

Thanks
paolamariaalbanese

Post by paolamariaalbanese »

hi...I think we might be related...my grandfather was Liberato Albanese from Garfield NJ...when he 'came over' from Busso, he went to stay with his cousin in Pittsburgh. I am the only child of his second son, Peter Anthony; there was another son, Dominic, who was about 1 1/2 years older, and had 3 children, all still living with the eldest being about 68...there are 5 greatgrand children, with a great-great grandchild due in June. Please contact me....I need to connect to my roots....Paola (Paula Mary) Maria Albanese PS Liberato's first wife, and the mother of the boys, was Maria Brunnetti, and she had a brother Nichoangelo (Uncle Nick) who also lived in Garfield...

:D
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

mjordan wrote:Would an actual birth date be wrong on these records? The draft cards for Liberato Albanese of Garfield, NJ that Tess found above list him as being born in Busso, but on Aug 22nd, whereas the Liberato above has a listed birthday of Feb 4.

I'm wondering if this is poor record keeping or if the New Jersey Liberato is a cousin born in the same year with the same name?
There were two children named Liberato Albanese born in Busso in 1884. The first was born on 05 FEB 1884, the son of Giovanni Albanese and Lucia Battista. Source: Busso (Campobasso). Ufficio dello Stato Civile, Registri dello Stato Civile, 1809-1910, FHL INTL Film 1732872/NATI 1884/Numero 9, 10 FEB 1884. This is your Great Grand Uncle.

The second was born on 22 AUG 1884, the son of Domenico Albanese and Mariantonia Ranallo. Source: Busso (Campobasso). Ufficio dello Stato Civile, Registri dello Stato Civile, 1809-1910, FHL INTL Film 1732872/NATI 1884/Numero 62, 26 AUG 1884. I believe that this is Paola's Grandfather.
John Armellino
Lombardi77

Post by Lombardi77 »

Tessa78 wrote: 09 Nov 2010, 03:22 This is the only child listed for Clemente Albanese and Vittoria Ruberto

o Angiolina Albanese
o Birth
04-09-1920
+ in Busso, Molise, Italy
o Death
09-11-2001
+ in Bedford, Bedfordshire, England

T.
Angiolina Albanese was my grandmother. Her daughter Nunziatina is my mother.
Cortney1490

Post by Cortney1490 »

Hi. I’m having a hard time. My mother and her family as well as myself are trying to find information about my grandmother “VIRGINIA ROSAS” she was in foster care and at the age of 6 (1940) was taken in by a family in Cleveland Ohio , Anthony and Philomena Albanese (Parents), Whom were born in Italy, I also see that they had kids , William / Dolores Albanese.... I also see that they took in another foster child Mary Silvaggio.... if anyone has any information on my grandmother or her story please let me know!! Oh , and I do know that she was eventually adopted my another Italian family (Padula) possibly a year or two later... thanks
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

I can't add much, but I do have your grandmother's foster parents in my database. Antonio Albanese, son of Giovanni and Lucia Battista, was born on 29 OCT 1889 in Busso, Campobasso, Molise, Regno d'Italia. Source: Busso (Campobasso). Ufficio dello Stato Civile, Registri dello Stato Civile, 1809-1910, FHL INTL Film 1732873, NATI 1889, Numero settantasette 77, 30 OCT 1889. Filomena Palmieri, daughter of Domenico and Rosaria Battista, was born on 01 MAY 1896 in Busso, Campobasso, Molise, Regno d'Italia. Source: Busso (Campobasso). Ufficio dello Stato Civile, Registri dello Stato Civile, 1809-1910, FHL INTL Film 1732873, NATI 1896, Numero ventinove 29, 04 MAY 1896. They married circa 1921 in Cleveland, Cuyahoga, Ohio, United States of America. Both birth records can be found on the Antenati website.
John Armellino