DOMINICK PODESTA from GENOA born 1840

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Richard Bland

Re: DOMINICK PODESTA from GENOA born 1840

Post by Richard Bland »

Hi Everybody,

I am related to a number of Italian families, the main ones being Conio, Tiscornia, Podesta and Montedonico and they all seem to originate from Chiavari in Genoa. The ones in the South of England resided in Portsmouth, Southampton, Bath, Bristol and London. I recognized several names and places that are being discussed. I can tell you that your Dominic Podesta came from Chiavari and I'm pretty sure he married two sisters, Angelina Annoni in 1869 and Rosina Annoni in 1875. Their mother was Louisa Scot, born around 1825 in Nottinghamshire. It appears that Louisa had been married before to John Podesta and had two children, Angelina in 1838, and Ludovica (Louisa) in 1839, both born in Bristol.

My great great grandfather, Antonio Conio, arrived in England from Chiavari around 1860 and temporarily lived at 10 Tower Street, Portsmouth (alehouse cum unregistered common lodging house), before moving to 84 Avon Street, Bath and then on to Simnel Street, Southampton in the early 1870s. I know that the Conios (or Cunio as the name is sometimes spelt) are connected to the Podestas in Southampton, but I am still trying to find a connection with the Annoni family but I have a strong hunch there is one.
Richard Bland

DOMINICK PODESTA from GENOA born 1840

Post by Richard Bland »

Hi,

Yes Dominic Podesta was married to Rosina Annoni's sister, Angelina. They married on 13th October 1869 in the Italian church on Back Hill, Holborn. Dominic's father was called Angelo. They had at least two children together, Theresa, born 1871 and Angelina, born 1872. Angelina died in 1874 in Kensington. Both children were born in Kensington. If you look at the 1881 census, these two children are down as Rosina's offspring but this is an impossibility as Rosina was still living were her parents on the 1871 census.

Hope this helps.

Richard
Richard Bland

Guinea Pig Jack (aka Dominic Conio), born Chiavari

Post by Richard Bland »

Hi,

I am researching a chap nicknamed Guinea Pig Jack whose real name was Dominic Conio, and according to an interview he gave to the Bath Chronicle in the late 1880s, was born in Chiavari, in the province of Genoa, around 1831. My great grandfather was also called Dominic Conio, although he preferred to use his middle name of Antony (Antonio), and was born on 12th April 1861 in the same house in Bath that Guinea Pig Jack lived in for most of his life, namely 84 Avon Street so I feel there must be a connection. GPJ was a street performer who had an act involving guinea pigs. His guinea pigs would go all stiff pretending to be dead, but would miraculously come alive after being warned that a 'bobby's coming'. I wonder if anyone has heard of Guinea Pig Jack and perhaps also inform me of the best place to look for his birth in Chiavari.

Many thanks,

Richard Bland