How to know when your citizenship has been approved by Italy

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
mler
Master
Master

Re: How to know when your citizenship has been approved by I

Post by mler »

Depends on the consulate. In NY, the consulate reviews your documents, and if it deems that you are qualified, they send the documents to your ancestral comune for registration. At the same time, they notify you that you have been approved and can obtain a passport.

Other consulates require you to wait until the comune actually registers your documents before they will issue a passport.
beauac
Veteran
Veteran

Post by beauac »

mler wrote:Depends on the consulate. In NY, the consulate reviews your documents, and if it deems that you are qualified, they send the documents to your ancestral comune for registration. At the same time, they notify you that you have been approved and can obtain a passport.

Other consulates require you to wait until the comune actually registers your documents before they will issue a passport.
Ok so its not up to the ancestral comune to decide whether or not I become a citizen, they simply register me at some point. The consulate in NY will decide whether or not I become a citizen based on my documents. Is that right?
corrado
Elite
Elite

Post by corrado »

Not at all, the comune must follow what the consulate tells them to do, if the consulate says to register then must do so, there is no discussion.
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

If the Consulate accepts your documents, you will be approved. The Consulate would not bother sending a case to the Comune for registration if it were not a valid case.
beauac
Veteran
Veteran

Post by beauac »

Ok. I hope my documents please the consulate on Nov 8th. Its kind of weird that my appointment, which was a cancellation, falls on the birthday of my great great grandfather who I am trying to get citizenship through. Could it be a good sign? :D
johnlabarbera
Veteran
Veteran

Post by johnlabarbera »

amaglioc wrote:I'm sorry to read this. Thank you for sharing it, though. It's a good reminder for all of us not to celebrate too much just because the consulate portion goes smoothly.

I hope Houston will help you resolve the issue with Bagheria and demonstrate that they did indeed send all the documents.

Amos
:D :D :D :D :D

Finally received my Italian birth certificates! I sent a simple letter addressed to the comune requesting my birth records, but mailed it to my cousins, who brought it to the comune office and obtained the records, then my cousins mailed them to me. I think sometimes you have to know someone to get anything done since they probably don't consider it important or urgent business.
amaglioc
Rookie
Rookie

Post by amaglioc »

Great news, John! Congrats on the good plan.

If you have time later on, will you let us know how the final step with Houston goes? I assume it will be smooth sailing now for the passport.
amaglioc
Rookie
Rookie

Post by amaglioc »

Today I received the Italian birth registration from Frosinone, after two letters (first sent in Nov 2010, second in Feb 2011). The birth registration is required by the Houston consulate in order to process a passport.

Now I begin what I hope will be the final step in acquiring a passport, but I feel good about this stage because Houston seems so efficient and friendly thus far. John, if you still monitor the board, I'd be very curious to know how your passport process went (or is going). Thanks again for the valuable information you've provided so far.
johnlabarbera
Veteran
Veteran

Post by johnlabarbera »

amaglioc wrote:Today I received the Italian birth registration from Frosinone, after two letters (first sent in Nov 2010, second in Feb 2011). The birth registration is required by the Houston consulate in order to process a passport.

Now I begin what I hope will be the final step in acquiring a passport, but I feel good about this stage because Houston seems so efficient and friendly thus far. John, if you still monitor the board, I'd be very curious to know how your passport process went (or is going). Thanks again for the valuable information you've provided so far.
Congratulations!!! I took a pause at this tep in the process so we are not at the same stage...I plan to restart the process soon...keep us posted!