How to know when your citizenship has been approved by Italy

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
johnlabarbera
Veteran
Veteran

Re: How to know when your citizenship has been approved by I

Post by johnlabarbera »

jbp1966 wrote:cdevita, thanks for the info. I've visited the Deputy Commissioner 2 or 3 times since July '09, and was told to request via email an appointment when I had everything. I've heard through a few people the Houston Consulate works quickly and is one of the better consulates to go through. I'm not in a huge hurry to get it completed. I have at least 6 - 9 months of loose ends to tie off here before I could go to Italy.

Good luck to you,

-jp
The Houston Consulate works very quickly. They do not require appoints and will work with you through email or snail mail.

I was just approved. Once approved, you are requested to get a copy of your new Italian birth certificate to finish the process that allows you to get your passport. So perhaps it will take a month or two for the comune in Italy to get your paperwork from Houston and record you.
johnlabarbera
Veteran
Veteran

Post by johnlabarbera »

Roccella wrote:Does anyone have an email already written in Italian that could be used to check on the status with the Commune? My Italian isn't good enough yet and I would hate to make a mistake.

Something like,"I have applied for recognition of my Italian citizenship and I would be very gratetful if you would please email me when my vital records, and those of my children, have been registered by your Office. At that time, could you also please instruct me as to any costs associated with mailing to me in the US a copy of our Italian birth certificates and my marriage certificate. Thank you for your help."

I have received recognition of my Italian citizenship "jure sanguinis" through the Consolato Generale d'Italia in Houston, Texas USA on April 7, 2010.

I understand that you will receive my new citizenship documents and that my family will be registered in the city of Bagheria.

In order for me to obtain my Italian passort, I am requesting copies of new Italian birth certificates for myself and my family.

Kindly please send me the birth certificates for all the family members in the documents you receive which should include the following:

NAMES

My address is:

Thank you for your cooperation

Translation:
Mi è stato riconosciutoa la cittadinanza Italiana "jure sanguinis" attraverso il Consolato Generale D'Italia a Houston Texas il 7 Aprile 2010

Ho capito che riceverete la documentazione della mia cittadinanza nuova e che la mia famiglia sarà registrato nel comune di Bagheria.

Per ottenere il passaporto Italiano,richiedo una copia dei nuovi certificati di nascita (italiani) per me stesso e la mia famiglia.

Cortesamente mandatami i certificati di nascita per tutti i familiari inclusi nei documenti che riceverete che dovrebbero essere i seguenti:

NAMES

mio indirizzo è

YOUR ADDRESS

Grazie per la vostra collaborazione
amaglioc
Rookie
Rookie

Post by amaglioc »

Hey, John,

I wanted to say thanks for this letter translation! I plan to use it when writing Frosinone (FR) to ask for my birth certificate as well. I was approved by Houston two weeks ago and was told the same thing, to wait a few months until the commune had the documents.

I was curious how your process has gone since the last time you posted. Did you send a prepaid postage envelope to the commune along with your letter?

Thanks in advance!

Amos Magliocco
Denton, TX
johnlabarbera
Veteran
Veteran

Post by johnlabarbera »

amaglioc wrote:Hey, John,

I wanted to say thanks for this letter translation! I plan to use it when writing Frosinone (FR) to ask for my birth certificate as well. I was approved by Houston two weeks ago and was told the same thing, to wait a few months until the commune had the documents.

I was curious how your process has gone since the last time you posted. Did you send a prepaid postage envelope to the commune along with your letter?

Thanks in advance!

Amos Magliocco
Denton, TX
Well the process has not gone very well. The comune civil office (Bagheria) has not responded to my letter, and when my cousins in Bagheria contacted the comune civil office they say they only have the marriage data not the birth data. as you know, you need your Italian birth certificate to get an Italian passport and only the comune can issue you this.

I recycled back to the Houston Consulate with the marriage only story, and they said it was impossible for the comune not to have all the data since it was all sent in one single large package.

So I am still struggling to get my Italian birth certificates mailed from the comune.
amaglioc
Rookie
Rookie

Post by amaglioc »

I'm sorry to read this. Thank you for sharing it, though. It's a good reminder for all of us not to celebrate too much just because the consulate portion goes smoothly.

I hope Houston will help you resolve the issue with Bagheria and demonstrate that they did indeed send all the documents.

Amos
sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Post by sceaminmonkey »

So what is the average wait time. I am confused . I heard it was 6 months to a year? I am applying in NYC . Are they quick? My ancestral commune is Napoli, Napoli. So the actual city of Naples montecalvario district. So is Naples commune quick?
amaglioc
Rookie
Rookie

Post by amaglioc »

To clarify, the wait time we're describing is the one between the time the consulate recognizes you as a citizen, meaning your documents are all approved, and the moment the "home commune" sends a copy of your Italian birth certificate (which they can't/won't do until they get materials from the Consulate).

So this is post-Consulate visit waiting, and I think it varies wildly depending on Consulate and/or commune. Perhaps others can describe past experiences with Naples.
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

The job of the Comunes in Italy is to serve the residents of the Comune. You can try sending them a letter but I think you will be wasting your time, especially if you are not personally acquainted with anyone there. You are basically asking them to do the job of your Consulate.

The best way to speed up your citizenship is to buy a ticket to Italy. Contact your Consulate and tell them you are leaving for Italy on such and such a date. Then send them a copy of the ticket. You will be surprised at how fast they come up with your passport application. In other words, if you're not going to Italy either on a vacation or to live there, then you really don't need your citizenship case speeded up.

But you could also try calling the consulate once a week and asking for a status update on your case. They may just get tired of hearing from you and give you an answer. BUG them.
amaglioc
Rookie
Rookie

Post by amaglioc »

The Houston Consulate requires you to contact the commune and acquire a copy of the new birth certificate before you apply for a passport.
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

Really, I never heard of that. When I submitted my US birth certificate, I never saw it again and in fact, after I got my Italian passport, I ordered and paid for another one because I thought I should have it.

Another thing, I lived in my Comune in Italy for ten years. I got all my Italian documents there -- ID Card, Medical Card, Voting Card, Renewed Italian passport, etc. And then I had to renew everything after five years. I was in and out of the Comune several times as an Italian resident and nobody ever said anything about me needing a new Italian birth certificate. In fact, I don't see how Italy can make you a birth certificate if you wern't born there.

Are you sure you are correct about this?
amaglioc
Rookie
Rookie

Post by amaglioc »

If I've learned anything from this site, it's that each Consulate and each Commune operates differently to some degree regarding this process.

Below I've attached JPGs of my letter from Houston, where it's explicit about the need to contact the Commune and obtain the birth certificate.

Other Consulates obviously don't require this at all. Houston does.

sceaminmonkey
Master
Master

Post by sceaminmonkey »

Congrats !!!!!
amaglioc
Rookie
Rookie

Post by amaglioc »

Thanks! I have my fingers crossed that Frosinone is one of the "responsive" Communes. They're one of the two (out of ten) Communes which responded (by letter) to my request for information back about six months ago.

I plan to send my letter requesting the birth cert to the very same person whose name is on the correspondence I received, even if she isn't precisely the right person.
beauac
Veteran
Veteran

Post by beauac »

Can someone explain to me the process of what happens after the meeting at the embassy. For instance the consulate person examines the documents and then what happens? Do they see if they are ok and then send them to Rome? Who makes the final approval? I seem to be under the idea from reading here that ones ancestral commune has something to do with it? Thanks to whoever can shed some light on this.
beauac
Veteran
Veteran

Post by beauac »

Bump for answer, I have been curious to know for a while.